Do people find Jim Carrey funny?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Andrew J, Apr 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident Thread Starter

To be honest, I'd never seen him in this series before, and I agree he is impressive in these sketches.

NaturalD and ralphb like this.
  2. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

For years I thought he was the best out there, but over the years my opinion as far as
    his comedy has not aged well.
    However, I actually do find him excellent in his drama films, most already mentioned,
    but his performance in "The Majestic" (2001) may be one of his best roles, plus it's an excellent
    film, with an exceptional cast and terrific soundtrack. (Plus there are two future "Walking
    Dead" stars in it...). It seems to be somewhat forgotten today, which is unfortunate.

3. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Gotta leave some hatred for Adam Sandler. Like Lewis.much more powerful.

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I was going to give my opinion until I saw this.

Andrew J likes this.
  5. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident Thread Starter

Don't let that stop you!

HorseyAnn likes this.
  6. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

FYI-TCM has The Truman Show as a premiere 4/29 @10:15PM ET as part of the 31 Days of Oscar. It will probably get an intro from one of the hosts. This year's lineup is alphabetical,which seems kinda lazy,but brings some interesting double/triples. That day,Top Hat is followed by Travels with My Aunt,The Treasure of Sierra Madre and then Truman. Another goofy lineup, soon,4/26,includes A Star Is Born,1937,followed by A Star Is Born,1954 and then A Star Is Born,1976-a six hour marathon.

7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

:) I find the guy HILARIOUS, as most argentinians do. Yes his style is OTT, but that kind of defines him. His being a fan of brutal death metal only makes me like him more yet.

timind and elvisizer like this.
  8. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Carrey was the highest-paid actor in Hollywood at one point, $20M per picture. I generally dislike him, but he was hilarious in The Cable Guy and Man on the Moon.

9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Eternal Sunshine got 2-3 DVD releases, a blu ray and Kino is pitting out the 4k UHD later this year. It found an audience.

10. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Sometimes.

11. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I find it hard to believe that Carrey and Wayans (at least one of the Wayans brothers) were passed over by Lorne Michaels.

Ben Stiller passed the SNL audition but was given little to do and had to develop his own sketch show.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  12. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

To me, not so funny (except Dumb and Dummer :uhhuh:). But I do like his political views and drawings! He definitely goes after the biggest douchetoolsheds! :uhhuh:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    NaturalD likes this.
  13. SoundAdvice

Are other people allowed to be funny with Jim in the room? Beyond Conan/Letterman.

Carrey's run as Biden is already long forgotten and it showed Lorne was right.

showtaper likes this.
  14. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

He's talented with comedic material and a pretty good actor in general, as well as a very intelligent person and acute thinker and satirist of current events(most good comedians are).

However, I don't think that the material on which he built his fame is anywhere near his best stuff. I'm hesitant to say that he was typecast or anything - comedians generally are doing the things that they want to do - but I think he was funnier when not doing things like Ace Ventura (though he probably got as much out of that sort of thing as was possible). I make an exception for Dumb and Dumber, though - that movie makes me laugh out loud. And, again, it speaks to the guy's intelligence that that one was as funny as it was. If he had to own the show, it wouldn't have worked. But he played off Jeff Daniels so well, that his performance could almost be described as nuanced. Which is practically oxymoronic given how bluntly moronic he was, but I think it's true.

NaturalD likes this.
  15. timind

timind phorum rezident

Haven't seen Yes Man mentioned. Maybe not the best of his movies, but it made me laugh so hard the first time I saw it.

As this is a music forum:

16. In the right role and a good movie, yep.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  17. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Eternal Sunshine was a great movie. Will watch it for a second time in the near future. Thought he was very good in it but it could have worked with many actors I think. That movie is all about the storyline.

I used to think that about Sandler but he won me over, and some of his more serious movies are really good. Ferrell is hit or miss, but he can be very funny because he has some subtlety and his characters are less out there - I don't really see that with Carrey when he does comedy. That lifeguard SNL skit posted in this thread is a good example. I personally didn't find it funny because it was too far removed from reality. Haven't seen enough of Stiller to comment.

When it comes to juvenile fart humor, if you like that kind of thing (and I sometimes do, I will admit), Sandler really nails it. I like his no apologies attitude about it - that and the fact that he seems like a genuinely good guy in real life. Never really dug Happy Gilmore or Billy Madison. With Sandler I'd rather watch a serious film, or if it's going to be a comedy just go all the way to the movies where he doesn't hold back.

P(orF) likes this.
  18. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I thought he was great on "In Living Color". Loved "Dumb and Dumber" too. "Liar, Liar" wasn't bad. Didn't care much for anything else I've seen him in.

19. NettleBed

I wouldn't use that as an example of anything. "Biden impersonator" isn't a particularly fertile role for comedy; earnest, old and vanilla aren't exactly the ingredients for parodic humor in any context. But someone has to play presidents on SNL, so...

The best anybody could do with that role would be essentially copy what Chevy Chase did with Ford, and *that* was only funny because it was the kind of humor that Chase built his career off in other roles, and Ford tripping kind of fell into his lap.

20. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I can't say I recall anything actually funny that I liked. However, I do like him in more serious roles with a touch of humor. I never got into those early films (D&D, Mask, etc.). Even as a teenager, they just seemed dumb. Plus I hated all the catch phrases I'd have to hear at school. I do think he's interesting... just not my brand of humor.

21. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Doing what Chase did just wouldn't fly these days. It was interesting to come of age back then, when being young and "smart" meant ragging on the president, R or D. I watched SNL nail both Ford and Carter when I was a kid.

22. SoundAdvice

A California resident accepted a NYC tv gig that comes with a ton of C19 hassles and no real financial upside to play one role. I'm judging.

All the comedy shows will mock Biden the person, but they have been hands off with some of his White House decisions. Even after the unwritten media rule about "first 100 days in office" is over in a week or two. While steering clear of forum rules best I can, my point is I don't believe Biden is "humour proof".

23. NettleBed

Why not? It was fairly benign.

24. NettleBed

Comedy shows typically only mock the person, not White House policy. Unless those policies are so comedic in and of themselves that they are late-night gold. Nothing like that has happened yet, but I'm sure if something happens that is deserving, the comedians will flock to it. Laughs are laughs - they don't care where it comes from.

Biden, basically, isn't particularly funny, and he hasn't been in office long enough to have established something is a hook for parody. If it happens - great - our leaders are great targets for laughs by good comedians, because it's something that most of the audience will "get." But some have more to give to that cause than others.

25. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.