Do Remastered Records Sound Better? - A Hoffmanite worthy article

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by seaisletim, Apr 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I enjoyed this article. Thanks for sharing. I didn't know that bass takes up more space on a record. This must be why a lot of the CDs I had from the 80s had very little bass. Many of them probably came from the same master they used for the LP. I guess that might be why anyway.

Max Florian and heathen like this.
  3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Yes, when CDs were first released in the 80’s, the labels were in a rush to roll out their catalog to take advantage of the new media... along with the massive profits.

So, they used recording masters that were EQ’d for vinyl (basically whatever was in the closets ...ummm, archives)
    Also, cover and artwork was reproduced on the cheap, too.
    Bare, minimal, or no liner notes.

Some genius soon realised that “reissues” of “remasters” could even double that windfall.

4. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

bluemooze likes this.
  5. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I would like to see a list of CDs mastered from vinyl masters. I know it happened on occasion but how often?

The article is incorrect to say there is no point in modern vinyl releases from digital masters. Well, in theory there is no point, but if the digital release is compressed to hell the vinyl release does sometimes sound better.

Tim

6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Case in point. What Gilles Martin has done with the Beatles 2017 Sgt Pepper & the 2018 white album. Talk about loud wars.....

7. buddachile

buddachile Forum Resident

Giles did a great job remixing those albums.

8. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I think a lot of people here would disagree with this:

“Sometimes it works, like with ‘Some Girls’ by The Rolling Stones, remastered by Bob Ludwig, [who is] one of the best in the field. His version was vastly superior because it sounds cleaner, less harsh and brittle, and more nuanced.”

Not my favorite version of Some Girls for sure.

Rich C, CBackley and marcb like this.
  9. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Also, I don't see an HDTracks version of Dark Side of the Moon. The gist of the article is "it depends" which I do agree with.

10. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

11. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

God, I HATE that quote though: "For older release, vinyl is definitely better. For new music, there's no point as there was never tape involved." Well there sure is a point if the CD is mastered with a DR of 5 and the LP 14. Digital source or not.

12. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

The physical limitations of vinyl like you're describing, which aren't limitations for CD, make me consistently scratch my head when I see people obsess over early CDs that are the same mastering as the vinyl. (Though I do the same, for some stuff.) I know the possible benefits, but I can't help but think that those early masterings (if they were compromised by the physical limitations of vinyl...I imagine not all were) could be improved on. Granted, remasters sometimes do more harm than good. But at the same time I'm hesitant to think that those early CDs are definitive.

MitchLT, nasa09 and eric777 like this.
  13. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

How come my 80s vinyl has tons of bass though, if the correspondong CDs supposedly sourced from the same masters are bass-shy?

Max Florian, MitchLT and Doctor Fine like this.
  14. hakstone

hakstone Witnessing the prototype of the Eloi

MitchLT likes this.
  15. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I well remember the most easily heard benefit of the CD's i bought was the better, deeper bass compared to the LP. Although those LP's were not 60's oldies.

16. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

MitchLT likes this.
  17. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I agree with you! I have found this on quite a few occasions, and any quick check on the Dynamic Range database will show the vinyl version of most to be more dynamic.

18. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Wasn't there an issue with vinyl DR results that calls a lot of those database entries into question?

tin ears, Kristofa and nasa09 like this.
  19. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Well it's the internet, so I guess fact checking isn't required. A single expert was used and the only fact out of his mouth is a lie.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

21. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Maybe. But to my ears, and what my amp indicates when I A/B cd vs vinyl versions, I think the assessments prove accurate enough.

22. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I'm just talking about the numbers in the DR database, not a CD vs. vinyl debate.

23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I would imagine it has something to do with the RIAA eq that is built into your phono preamp, but is not in the low voltage inputs. I have an old preamp that will allow flat playback of records. It doesn't sound nearly as full. This would be similar to the effect you get playing back a cd mastered from tapes that had been rolled off for lp.

You can look up the wiki article on the RIAA rolloff curve:

RIAA equalization is a form of pre-emphasis on recording and de-emphasis on playback. A recording is made with the low frequencies reduced and the high frequencies boosted, and on playback the opposite occurs. The net result is a flat frequency response, but with attenuation of high frequency noise such as hiss and clicks that arise from the recording medium. Reducing the low frequencies also limits the excursions the cutter needs to make when cutting a groove. Groove width is thus reduced, allowing more grooves to fit into a given surface area, permitting longer recording times. This also reduces physical stresses on the stylus which might otherwise cause distortion or groove damage during playback.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  24. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I’m sorry. You said there may be an issue with vinyl DR results. All I’m saying is whatever they’re reporting sounds right to me when I compare the two media.

Strat-Mangler and heathen like this.
  25. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Yeah I hear you. I just seem to remember reading about some issue with the vinyl numbers being inaccurate, but I don't remember if that applies to all or just some. Regardless, if the DR database says a record is 14 but it's actually 12, while the CD version is 8, there's still more dynamics in the record (which I think is what you're getting at). I'm not trying to say all the vinyl numbers are complete BS, just wondering how many are perhaps a bit skewed.

Chemguy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.