Do you believe "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" was intentionally about LSD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Bass, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Maybe he received some help from his parents while drawing, or not, who knows. What I'm sure about is that he was the one that came up with that title. And John wrote such a beautiful song inspired by it! It's a really nice family story, ain't it? :)

Skywheel and petem1966 like this.
  2. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I kinda wonder about that too. He might have been a little gunshy, especially after the whole Bigger than Jesus thing...

3. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

No, he had already written "Dr Robert" and had no problem giving the story of that song.

Folknik, Tim Wilson, supermd and 4 others like this.
  4. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

Or "She Said, She Said" for that matter.

Folknik and Mike Bass like this.
  5. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

And "Day Tripper". And "Cold Turkey". And "She Said She Said".

But it's no fun for the conspiracy theorists to accept John at face value.

6. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Funny that "newspaper taxis" is perhaps the most retained image from that song, but Lennon told Playboy in 1980 "that was Paul's line." Go figure.

JDeanB likes this.
  7. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I took lsd several times during my youth. There's no doubt the song is about it. The girl with the kaleiscope eyes? And then she's gone? It's literal.

seed_drill, delmonaco and starduster like this.
  8. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

How about Alice In Wonderland? I'm not saying LSD didn't have anything to do with the creation of the song, but John always had a love of Lewis Carroll and said this song drew on that influence and it wasn't the only one. "I Am The Walrus" was a direct, point blank reference to "The Walrus and the Carpenter" for instance...and John later admitted he misunderstood the metaphor Carroll was going for saying "I should have called it "I Am The Carpenter."

Again, while I'm sure LSD "helped" the song along, I think the imagery owes more to "Alice" than a sugar cube. IMO. :)

Skywheel and liquidatedher like this.
  9. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Exactly. Hell, I was watching the South Bank Show from 1992 on the 25th anniversary of Sgt. Pepper and both Paul and Ringo admitted they saw Julian's drawing on their visits to Kenwood that summer. That, and Julian's classmate Lucy who inspired the drawing was a real person (sadly, she died of lupus several years back). The initials were a coincidence, but yeah there's no way LSD *didn't* inspire the lyrics and recording of the music. Cosmic confluence, indeed!

10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I take him at his word.

But sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake with these sorts of things. I had to say the title to the Grateful Dead's "Alice D. Millionaire" ten times before I got the joke.

theMess likes this.
  11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

This, a million times over. John has spoken openly and often about drugs he did and songs he wrote about them. Why would he adamantly lie about this one song up until his death? It makes zero sense.

LSD surely influenced this song, but the idea of John lying about intentionally writing this song about LSD is stupid. From the man who freely admitted, "We smoked pot for breakfast," among many other drug stories? Come on...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    e.s., DrBeatle, Tristero and 7 others like this.
  12. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

This.

13. Mike Bass

Mike Bass Forum Resident Thread Starter

My thoughts, exactly.

Tim Wilson, jeatleboe and supermd like this.
  14. Mike Bass

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I'd never heard that story. To me, he looks like he's totally telling the truth.

But you can never be quite sure with John.:D

Great song. Who dares start a LITSWD Elton or the Beatles poll?:D

theMess and Mike Bass like this.
  16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The man posed nude on an LP cover. I'm pretty sure he'd fess up if the Julian drawing story wasn't true.

e.s., 905, Skywheel and 3 others like this.
  17. Mike Bass

Talk about "audacity" right! :rolleyes:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  18. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

No, not true. None of the songs on Pepper were hit singles at the time.

19. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I believe Lennon. I can't really see what his motivation would have been to lie about it.

johnaltman and Mike Bass like this.
  20. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

By the time he wrote Lucy, he hadn't written Cold Turkey. At least that's how I'd taken the previous post.

To your point by his final interview he'd written and spoken about drugs numerous times.

It took McCartney a while to cop to Got to Get You into My Life but he eventually did...right? Why wouldn't we think the same of Lennon - especially when he was in myth buster mode in the early 70s.

21. Bobby Morrow

I like how you've changed your avatar to match this thread.:D

Mike Bass likes this.
  22. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

Drug songs common? I'm not sure that that was true yet...apart from The Beatles. :laugh:

And while The Beatles ran into some radio trouble after the Jesus thing, I don't remember any of their songs being actually banned in this era, outside a few pockets of the south. I think "I Am The Walrus" was briefly banned in the UK for the "knickers down" line -- but it certainly didn't stand in the way of The Beatles actually recording it.

More important, do you remember the US Beatles cartoon? Aired Saturday mornings, and in 1967, moved to noon. Still very much kids time. That thing was bonkers. It didn't just look druggy, it looked pyschotic. And indeed, in 1967, there was an episode that had "Tomorrow Never Knows" as the featured song, and "She Said She Said" as the singalong! Which means for the latter that the song was not only played, but the words put on screen.

The aspect ratio of this is messed up, but you'll get the idea:

[​IMG]

I hope that this link takes you directly to this part of the episode, but if not, the "She Said She Said" singalong starts at about 8 minutes in. Try this link.

I've posted the clip for "Tomorrow Never Knows" many times, but in this context, it's worth posting again.

This may be more answer than is required, but I want to drive home that by 1967, even before the release of Sgt. Pepper, The Beatles had an absolutely free hand. The Beatles hated these cartoons of course, but even people responsible for children's cartoons had not the least bit of concern about exposing children to the bizarrest parts of the Beatles discography.

To say nothing of my Sgt. Pepper lunchbox.

I'm obviously of the "he'd have admitted it was about drugs because he TOLD us about drug songs that we never imagined were drug songs," but I strongly want to underscore that by 1967, being banned was the last thing that crossed their minds.

23. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

"Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" was no more of an intentional LSD reference
    than "Fire Engine" by The Thirteenth Floor Elevators was an intentional DMT reference.

24. teag

teag Forum Resident

He definitely would have admitted it if it was true just like he did about other songs. He was not concerned about being politically correct. Unlike most of today's "stars".

25. Bobby Morrow

While we ARE here... what do you (or anyone else) think of Elton's take on 'Lucy'?

Believe it or not, Elton's was the first version I heard and I always liked it.

Mike Bass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.