Do you believe "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" was intentionally about LSD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Bass, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

What would be some examples of John and Paul lying about what their songs were about or who played which part? I can't think of any off the top of my head, so I'm curious what you're referring to.

Lennon boasted about his LSD consumption, and acknowledged deliberate drug references in other songs. It seems unlikely he would lie about this song's genesis.

Mike Bass likes this.
  2. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Who ya gonna believe, Mr Bass or these lyin’ lyrics? :yikes:

Picture yourself in a boat on a river
    With tangerine trees and marmalade skies
    Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly
    A girl with kaleidoscope eyes
    Cellophane flowers of yellow and green
    Towering over your head
    Look for the girl with the sun in her eyes
    And she's gone

Lucy in the sky with diamonds
    Ahh

Follow her down to a bridge by a fountain
    Where rocking horse people eat marshmallow pies
    Everyone smiles as you drift past the flowers
    That grow so incredibly high
    Newspaper taxis appear on the shore
    Waiting to take you away
    Climb in the back with your head in the clouds
    And you're gone

Ahh

Picture yourself on a train in a station
    With plasticine porters with looking glass ties
    Suddenly someone is there at the turnstile
    The girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Ahh

seed_drill likes this.
  3. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

It seems likely that the song title did come from the letters LSD on purpose, but John does seem sincere in his explanation. It just seems too "on the nose" to be a coincidence. Seems like we are missing a link in the story somewhere.

4. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I read the lyrics and you read the commentary.

5. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

You read the lyrics and I’m experiencing a massive lysergic acid diethylamide flashback!

:nauga:

seed_drill and starduster like this.
  6. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

There was the lesbians and prostitutes thing from the 66 tour...

We ALL know what Day Tripper and Norwegian Wood were about...

Mike Bass likes this.
  7. Mr Bass

Haha ha. So sorry about that. Just be a kid again and it will be OK.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Haven't heard that story. Can you elaborate?

Did Lennon lie about the meaning of those songs?

9. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I've always been on the fence about it (as are the all-tied-up results of this poll). Sure, Lennon was candid, painfully candid during his primal scream years and he had no reason to conceal an LSD reference if there was one.

Although... maybe not. Maybe he did have his reasons. He certainly wanted the song to get continued airplay whenever possible. More importantly, he was fighting the US Government and the CIA for permanent resident status; admitting to a drug reference on Sgt. Pepper could have been a deal-breaker. That was a MAJOR legal battle for him, a delicate business that lasted many years and it all hinged upon his marijuana bust in England. After it was settled he would have looked pretty silly back-peddling about being inspired by his son's drawing, and it was such a cool story it would have been a shame to debunk it. I don't know if Julian has ever weighed-in on the subject.

In the end it doesn't matter. If it was in inside joke or a personal joke or if it was something he noticed after the fact or was completely oblivious to until it was pointed out to him, who cares? In a way I'd like to believe that it was completely unintended because the coincidence of it all is so delicious and it's a great story about the wonders of parenthood.

Ignatius likes this.
  10. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

They were asked in a pretty hilarious interview that it was rumoured those two songs were about a lesbian and a prostitute.

I'm not sure what the follow up question was but I recall Paul responding that "we're just trying to write songs about lesbians and prostitiutes that's all..."

11. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

First, Hey Jude, and then - *this* ?

Julian Lennon strikes again..........

JDeanB and Bobby Morrow like this.
  12. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

In that era, it was sort of "cool" when bands wrote songs with cryptic intent. It was sort of up to the music listener to solve the puzzle. John Lennon knew exactly what he was doing in spite of him playing down the real meaning in later years. To think otherwise is downright naive.

delmonaco and seed_drill like this.
  13. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

How? He wasn't hounded until the mid 1970's and he was "coming clean" about drug references in his songs years earlier. In fact, on a visit to WNEW in 1974, John makes a few overt drug themed jokes on-air right in the middle of his legal battles. And how would admitting it affect airplay so long after the release of the album and song? It was never a single in the USA at any point so there was no incentive for AM radio to play it (unless they wanted to) and FM was "hip" and still somewhat underground during John's battle with Nixon and the FBI. They wouldn't care about that. If he was that concerned about appearences, I would think he would have shown some restraint and not had his booze and cocaine fueled "lost weekend."

He has, a few times, and he corroborates John's explanation.
    http://www.accesshollywood.com/juli...s-lucy-in-the-sky-with-diamonds_video_1909637

Mike Bass likes this.
  14. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Quite true. After reading a promo for a concert at "The Joint in the Woods", John says "There's nothing like a joint in the woods .... he says, losing his Green card possibilities in one blow", or something similar.

empirelvr and Mike Bass like this.
  15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Didn't he start telling the "Julian's drawing" story far earlier than that, back when he was still living in England and his residency battle had not yet begun?

If the song was deliberately about LSD, it seems likely he would have told McCartney. Why would McCartney continue to lie about it all these years?

16. Mike Bass

Mike Bass Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, John said what was on his mind. I don't think he was capable of lying.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

Well...not saying anything to Mr Bass, but if one has ever read Alice in Wonderland whilst on the 'dreaded lysergic acid diethylamide' I think one would find the lyrics quite druggy...

Mr Bass likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm with those who think Lennon would've admitted the song was about LSD - and would've done so sooner than later.

Why would he have lied? Makes no sense...

19. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

John would've loved this forum. He'd have sorted us all out.:D

Mike Bass likes this.
  20. Mike Bass

Mike Bass Forum Resident Thread Starter

Haha, he sure would!

It kills me everyday, that he's not here because of such a senseless, unnecessary act. :cry:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

He sometimes lied in interviews about things related to his personal life. He lied about silly things like claiming he didn't listen to his ex-bandmates' work when he really did. But I can't think of any known, verified instance of him lying about what a song's lyrics were about.

JDeanB and Mike Bass like this.
  22. Mr Bass

This is an excellent point actually. Lewis Carroll was writing for children so he incorporated their tendency towards arbitrary associations with dream like imagery. People growing bigger or smaller is something that can happen in dreams. Grace Slick could turn that into a druggy song easily but that doesn't mean that it was such all along. It's just that there is overlapping imagery. Bass Strings by Country Joe is a more typical Adult drug song.

petem1966 and Mike Bass like this.
  23. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Excellent thread! Tomorrow let's debate if "Eight Miles High" is really about a plane landing in London, or is that one in the Byrds related thread?

Say It Right likes this.
  24. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

To my eyes and ears he had a tell when he did that. When John wasn't being totally forthright about something, he would say "you know" a lot (wayyy more than he usually did) and his cadence at the end of a statement would go "up", as if he were asking a question and waiting for you to agree with him. I've never heard an interview where he was asked about "Lucy..." where he did that.

25. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

So would it be "incredibly naive" to think that "My Toot Toot" isn't about cocaine?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.