Do you binge listen to just one artist at one sitting?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chemically altered, Jan 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

When I "discover" an artist for the first time and fall in love with them, I tend to binge up until the point I have collected their entire discography (for however long that takes)....and then it tends to settle down a bit to a life long affair....I suppose its that assumption that if you love one or two albums, you have to keep going on the assumption that the rest are equally critical....yeah I know, bit of an issue going on here....

Happens a lot less these days to be honest though........

General binging......nah....like to mix it up.....however when I start a box set, I tend to finish it......so I suppose that's binging.

team2, LilacTeardrop and starduster like this.
  2. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Me too. There was a time when pretty much all I listened to was Dylan. My head is still full of his songs so I don't really need to listen any more.

Adam9, Chemically altered and Michael like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I can say that for the Beatles and others but, sometimes it's nice to get the music out of your head and into the speakers. : )

4. jparis51

jparis51 Forum Resident

Same here, not weird. I love hearing the progressions.

pc-Ray and Chemically altered like this.
  5. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

This is pretty much all I do, sometimes for weeks or months at a time. The only problem is that I've missed new albums along the way, because I was too immersed in so-and-so's catalog.

6. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

Nope

7. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

Not me.

8. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

Often most of a day, usually on the artist's birthday.

Chemically altered likes this.
  9. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I only do this if I "need to," basically. An example is if I'm going to see the artist live and I haven't listened to them much for awhile.

I like variety too much to do it otherwise. Normally I don't want to hear too many albums from the same (sub)genre in a row, either, and half of the time I listen via song shuffle (from a pool of thousands of songs from a bunch of different genres, eras, etc).

team2 and Chemically altered like this.
  10. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Just did it with Dusty Springfield's first four albums (US market releases). I topped it off with Burt Bacharach's Hit Maker! album in mono! Generally when I do this, it's because I'm needledropping and getting obsessive.

Chemically altered likes this.
  11. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

Yes. It's the reason I stay away from drugs.

12. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Only classical music.

Adam9 likes this.
  13. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Since the first of the year, I am playing my collection A-Z. So that means to me one artist a nite usually.
    It’s a tradition I picked up a few years ago from a radio station WTTS in Indianapolis.

14. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

One for the "Nays" here. I never do this, and seem to be very much in the minority.

I'm also not a completist as far as artists are concerned. Most of my collection is usually a 3 or 4 album run at best. Maybe those facts are related....

pinkrudy likes this.
  15. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I always listen to entire albums - once its on I am committed - unless I'm interrupted.
    Occasionally its sequential albums by the same artist but, in general, one album, then switch artist or genre depending on my mood.
    The age of the ipod had me assembling playlists etc. but after a few years, I like to hear what the artist intended in terms of sequencing.
    Also, as a singles listener, I forgot/overlooked some great deeper cuts in my collection which I am now re-discovering.

team2 and Chemically altered like this.
  16. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

My two primary binge bands are Grateful Dead and King Crimson. Sometimes Allman Brothers, Eric Clapton, The Who, Rolling Stones, Beatles, and Yes sneak in.

The MEZ and Chemically altered like this.
  17. John54

John54 Senior Member

Only occasionally

18. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

It varies. Sometimes I will bounce around from artist to artists, and sometimes I will get on a kick with one and stay with them for a while. I listen to so many bands/artists that I often tend to get on a kick with one for a few days and then move on to another.

19. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident Thread Starter

You see, R&R can save people. ;)

graveyardboots likes this.
  20. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I might play several albums by artist over a period of time, like a week. But I never play their albums back to back. I prefer variety.

21. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

I almost always go a couple weeks at a time listening to one artist (almost) exclusively. My last binge was The Kinks, spilling over into this month since just after Christmas. Once a year I always have a big Beatles binge. My last one was in November after the White Album remix, listened to all my box sets front to back, all my Beatles records, watched all the movies, etc.

22. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Nice Thread, OP!!

At one sitting? Definitely! And, I do this with whatever most recent acquisiton is for 1-3 days, then will weave in more of same artists' other releases,
    or seque into others' in same/similar category/listening mode. ~ Thankfully, w/S.H. forum threads, will throw on other music, too!!! :laugh: :righton:
    That & whatever listening I've done that day from online music streaming will help break it up!
    I do need to break things up, following a long binge, b/c then, I end up not even totally "hearing" the songs: when that starts happening, I know it's time for a change-up! I know it's impossible to capture that "hearing them as when 1st heard sound", but if I lay off for a bit, I can still be excited to hear my favorites (new or old). :):D

All time binge's (since I have bootlegs for all, so don't get bored w/any of their catalogs): Oasis, INXS, Garbage.

Uploading clip from one: youtube clip gives full Dusseldorf concert w/video. Enjoy!!

Garbage ‎– Live Trash
    Label:
    Kiss The Stone ‎– KTS 541
    Format:
    CD, Unofficial Release
    Italy
    Released:
    Genre:
    Pop
    Style:
    Notes
    Tracks 1-11 Live at the Düsseldorf Easter Festival, April 7th, 1996
    Tracks 12-14 Live in Leeds, England, April 9th, 1996

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    team2 and Girlpower like this.
  23. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Yes, lately it's been the Rolling Stones. I'm a recent convert to the early UK albums over the US albums and last night I listened to No. 2 and Out Of Our Heads (UK of course).
    Today, for something completely different, it was Carl Maria Von Weber's opera, "Der Freischutz" conducted by Carlos Kleiner I listened to on the radio for a couple of hours.

24. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

One of my fave uses of spotify is getting an artists whole oeuvre up and shuffling thru it for a few hours. Works well both with recontexualzing artists whose lps-as-lps i have in my dna, and with exploring artists i only know a bit about.

25. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, I will generally keep in the same groove when I listen to stuff.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.