Do you consider Fleetwood Mac to be an English band?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Sep 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devin

Devin Time's Up

British-American.

2. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident

I don't know, did they also find two of their singers and songwriters there and evolve their style to French pop rock?

Detroit Rock Citizen and DTK like this.
  3. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

'Si, si, je suis un rock star'

4. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

I would dispute both of those, actually. Birthplace is not the only factor (or otherwise the Clash are 1/4 Turkish!). The Jimi Hendrix Experience was created in England, signed to English management/record label, and were a product of the English record industry - just like the Walker Brothers. To my mind, that means it's not incorrect to call the Jimi Hendrix Experience English. And while Neil Finn is a proud kiwi, in addition to his bandmates being Australian, Finn was living in Melbourne when he put together the group and signed to an Australian record label. Crowded House are definitely a product of Australia.

In any case, being Canadian, I have no problem with hyphens. To me, the Jimi Hendrix Experience and an American/English band and Crowded House are a New Zealand/Australian band. Nothing wrong with that!

DTK likes this.
  5. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Yeah, I'd love to see that. I'd probably fail. The money rolls over. :)

6. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

If you asked 1000 random passersby at Picadilly Circus the majority might not even know who Fleetwood Mac is. The band had their last top 10 hit in Britain (or elsewhere in europe) in 1987, 33 years ago!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  7. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

You remind me of a friend we used to call "Mr Right". Everybody still loved him though.

8. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

It's a fair point. I think people who only know the Rumours and later hits might assume that they are Californian or at least American. Any Brit music head of my age or older will know otherwise though. I'm personally not that familiar with the pre Buckingham/Nicks incarnations, except for the odd track or two, but I'm well aware of their connection to the Brit Blues Boom.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Actually, Behind the Mask was a number 1 album in the UK, and even Say You Will got to number 6 (probably just for a week but still).

The Dance wasn’t as big a hit in Britain as it was in America though, only getting to number 15.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  10. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

No. Literally all one thousand of them will say "California soft rock" verbatim. That's "hard truth"

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  11. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I call BS on that one Philip. They were the biggest band in England
    In the late 60s. Even John Lennon of our beloved Beatles said that Yer Blues was a copy/tribute of Fleetwood Mac

goodiesguy and schnitzerphilip like this.
  12. Detroit Rock Citizen

You really need to take a good hard listen to them. Wow I just can't believe I read that.

AFOS likes this.
  13. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Ditto for Sun King/Albatross

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  14. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Does this mean the Talking Heads are a Scottish/American band?

I say YES!

15. poisonedhangman

poisonedhangman Forum Resident

Let's do a Dave Chapelle type draft.

You give us Fleetwood Mac.

We give you the right to call the late Scott Walker completely English.

Fair tade methinks!

16. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

British/American, transatlantic, US-based, doesn't really matter. Have Americans ever outnumbered British members in the band? Also, not enough mention of Christine McVie in this thread!

Regandron and Instant Dharma like this.
  17. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Yes.

But if not, Anglo-American is fine.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Just stop any woman over 50 wearing chiffon at Picadilly and she'll do a crazy Stevie Nicks dance.

19. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Good question. No, I don't. Not after the album Fleetwood Mac.

Witchy Woman likes this.
  20. poisonedhangman

poisonedhangman Forum Resident

Them Crooked Vultures. John Paul Jones with Dave Grohl and Josh Homme. (Alain Johannes also plays on live appearances)

21. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

I plead ignorance and sooo don't want to argue about a band that brings me such joy.

Fleetwood Mac is a one-album California wonder that puts me in a great mood, 80 degree sunshine, HomePod in my left hand, Bloody Mary in my right, reclining in a Speedo on a lounge chair, the nanny in a bikini splashing in the pool. I can't bear to think of them as a depressing British Blues band even though they very well might have been, ruins everything.

22. Detroit Rock Citizen

Well, Phillip can't have everything.

23. Detroit Rock Citizen

I see Phillip's brainwashing techniques are working on you. Unless your being facetious, that is.

goodiesguy, Deek57 and AFOS like this.
  24. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Yes, the band was formed in England in the 60’s

25. Detroit Rock Citizen

You really don't get out much. The first B/N album isn't too much below Rumours in the quality department. I'd really find it hard to believe that you haven't heard at least half of the album and know what album these songs come from. Why you here anyways? Are there no Beatle bridges for you to set up camp under?

Andrew J and BeatleJWOL like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.