Do you dig They Might Be Giants?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nathan L Vogel, Mar 9, 2018.

1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I wasn't a whole ALBUM of these....
    copy write infringement be damned!

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and McLover like this.
  2. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

There are (were) awesome. Lincoln and Flood especially are 5 star, timeless albums.

To me, the live band thing took away a certain edge they had when it was just the two Johns, and one of them had an accordian.

But still, so many good songs over decades of time.

3. vince

I wouldn't say i'm a 'super-fan', but I own everything from "GodWeenSatan" to "La Cucaracha".
    None of the solo stuff, or the early stuff.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  4. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Yes. "Apollo 18",1992, especially.

5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    purchased the day it came out in 1987, more a novelty as the only other 3" CD Single I recall that period was one on Rykodisc of Frank Zappa's "Peaches"

6. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...I dig’em. First three albums are stone cold classics. I like Apollo 18 as well.

...sometimes this song gets put on a loop because I love it so much.

7. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

The only TMBG I have is the Dial a song compilation and I absolutely love it. I should probably start digging a bit deeper into their catalogue.

theholygoof and daveidmarx like this.
  8. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

NO

Oatsdad likes this.
  9. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Yes. So many great songs, but I have a soft spot for the kids' albums Here Come The ABC/123s.

Charlie Z. likes this.
  10. vince

11. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

Wow!thanks for sharing, man! Very cool! And a totally classic set list.

daveidmarx likes this.
  12. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Sheer brilliance!! :righton:

vince likes this.
  13. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I first saw them in 1988, in Soquel (near Santa Cruz). I showed up, by myself, to the small club but found that it was sold out. I sat down glumly on the curb outside, wondering what to do next. John F. walked by, sees me, and says "Hey, what's up?" (or words to that effect). I said, "Ah, the show is sold out. Is there any way to get in?" Without a word, he kinda smiled and motioned for me to follow him. Then he took me into the club with him, and backstage. Then he said something like, "I gotta go, but hang out and enjoy the show!" So I stood around in this room with some other people (I saw John L. but he seemed pretty focused so I didn't bug him), then in a bit I went out and watched the show -- which was of course great, in their early-days crazy way. Nice memory, and of course they earned a faithful fan that evening.

14. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

I'll have to look but I'm fairly sure I have one or two.

vince likes this.
  15. Ash76

Living in Australia, I'm jealous. I'm still waiting for them to announce Australian shows this year, though they've just announced Canadian dates so hopefully they'll announce an Aussie tour soon

daveidmarx likes this.
  16. Ash76

I don't have that one but do have

[​IMG]

Trbnado and longdist01 like this.
  17. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Tried, and failed...

Like, I love some songs but man, I put on Lincoln and it's like I'm just hearing everything in the span of 40 minutes across 2 minute songs and I give up.

18. daveidmarx

Especially considering how close Australia is to Canada! ;)

theholygoof likes this.
  19. Ash76

Around October last year, I remember Flans mentioning they were intending to tour Australia this year but there have been no announcements since.
    They're currently on their US tour with their UK/European tour all set, followed by a 2nd US leg and Canada... So it's only a matter of time.

daveidmarx likes this.
  20. daveidmarx

I'm just kicking myself that I didn't follow through with my plans to see them in Brooklyn last December 30th. That was a dream set-list, with so many songs I'd always wanted to see live (Dead, Puppet Head, The End Of The Tour, Fingertips, Subliminal and New York City)! :shake:

Ash76 likes this.
  21. NotTimCurry

NotTimCurry Forum Resident

Okay, They Might Be Giants story: I first saw them at a little record store releasing Flood in like 1990 in Nashville. Anyway, about a decade later, I see them two summers in a row. They played at a popular outdoor venue, and each time they did, my weird friends would mosh or disappear. The crowds would miraculously part at that point, and I always ended up staring at the lead singer face to face. It was totally awkward, and I think I wore the same clothes each time because it was so hot. You’d think being the only person being up front at a concert would be cool, but it was weird, so awkward. I always remember making too much eye contact with the singer and feeling like I should dance or something. Then it happened again about 365days later (and in the same clothes). It was so weird. Anyway, Flood is a good album. Excuse me, I typed this on an iPad.

Ash76 likes this.
  22. Ash76

I'm guessing byblead singer you mean John Linnell? He's the on keyboards. He has the way of looking straight at you or at least appearing to.

Here's a photo I took of him in 2013

[​IMG] [​IMG]

theholygoof and NotTimCurry like this.
  23. NotTimCurry

NotTimCurry Forum Resident

That’s the one. My PTSD is kicking in....

Ash76 likes this.
  24. vince

I will say this:
    THEY... are one of the few bands that I like in which they always sound like THEM;
    no matter what style the use, what instrumentation they use.... They always sound like them.
    ....like Cocteau Twins.....
    I accept this fact, whereas, most band I like usually have changed their style throughout their career.
    The only time I felt like someone was 'ripping off' TMBG was that "Sex And Candy" song, from the '90's!

Ash76 likes this.
  25. daveidmarx