Do you have a working Nintendo NES game system

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I think the music in the background of the video is Ghouls n' Ghosts!

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yup!

3. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

I have a working original NES and a working SNES. Only have a few games. My boss gave me both out of frustration at one point, "argh, I gotta get these things out of the house I'm not sleeping". Still play Mario World once in awhile.

Vahan likes this.
  4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The pin connectors can be replaced.

Vahan likes this.
  5. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Question for those who may know:

What's the best way to hook an NES into a flat screen tv? The original NES came with an old coaxial cable didn't it? Can you also easily use S-Video or composite cable that can plug into the NES to the tv? I only own a flat screen and that's all I have room for right now. I am now considering buying an NES (I deserve to treat myself every once in a while don't I? :) )

6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I do like the way the Genesis looks with the original Sega CD under it. I bought the Sega CD when it came out but returned it because it was too expensive for what it did. About ten years later I bought one again along with the 32x. The multiple power supplies are the real downfall.

johnny q likes this.
  7. DreadPikathulhu

It has both mono audio and composite video output on the side of the unit. I added a Y-connector to the audio and use a standard composite A/V cable.

bcaulf likes this.
  8. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

I love my old NES! I have a pretty modest collection (20 or so games). But, there's no other system that just makes me as happy as the NES does. I actually got it RGB modded and feed it through a Framemeister (upscaler) connected to my HDTV, and it looks brilliant!!

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Anyone remember the movie The Wizard? It was terrible, but it gave us our first look at Super Mario Bros. 3, so... :)

Rocker and Vahan like this.
  10. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

I no longer have my old NES, but I do still have my childhood Atari 2600, and it works just fine. It was the "family" console from when I was around 2, but it was always mine. After my family got an NES, we gave the 2600 to my uncle, who gave it back to me about 12 years ago. I take such good care of my consoles that I've literally never had one go bad in my life.

11. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

That trailer has a couple of scenes not seen in the final cut of the film.

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Nintendo Power was such a great magazine between '89 and '96 (when I read it). :)

Rocker likes this.
  13. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

It was so ambitious! I had a subscription for a number of years, and LOVED looking through the walkthroughs - thousands of screencaps with clear instructions and tips. Whenever I would get stuck on something for too long, I'd consult NP and get myself unstuck. It was an invaluable tool in the days before the interwebs.

14. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Are these outputs on the top loaders too? If it uses composite then I should be able to just plug it right into the tv that way right?

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The Top Loader is RF only, no composite. They removed the composite video out to save money on production and be able to sell the system cheaper.

16. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I still have a Nes 64 system with maybe a dozen games, not hooked up though it's been stored away in the closet for couple of years.

17. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

But the composite is on the original model? Interesting.

18. Grunge Master

And it was a continuation of Nintendo Fun Club, which was a magazine that was much smaller. They got rid of it, and it became Nintendo Power!

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Grunge Master likes this.
  20. DreadPikathulhu

In 1988/89, I used to hook my NES up to a Commodore 64 monitor I had lying around and it produced a great image. Everyone else I knew used the RF output.

21. Grunge Master

Poor Little Mac. Getting the s**t beat out of him-probably by Bald Bull or Super Macho Man-and all Doc can do to help him is say "Join The Nintendo Fun Club"!
    I remember that you would push the "select" button, and he would rub your arm for health. If you didn't push "select" until Doc started talking, you had a better chance of getting more health.

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh yeah! I forgot about that trick!

I could make it to Mike Tyson but he pounded the crap out of me in like under a minute every time. :(

23. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

The Fun Club newsletters were a nice added bonus (after saving up for weeks for the control deck). There was no other way to find out about new games for the system back then. There was no internet at home and there weren't many gaming magazines- this was only a few years after the market crash. It was through the Fun Club that I first learned about the Zelda and Metroid games, and later Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! as well. When Nintendo Power came out... I recall the first issue being free, but it sort of rubbed me the wrong way that they were trying to make another buck somehow.

I can also remember when the Nintendo Power Hotline was simply a long distance number and not a 1-900 number. Eventually, the counselors got flooded with so many calls they decided to hire more help and charge for it.

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

[​IMG]

:)

marblesmike and mj_patrick like this.
  25. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

That was it. I remember calling that hotline trying to figure out how to beat Ridley on Metroid. In those early days, the "game counselors" were often pretty cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.