Do you have the correct/original inner sleeves into each LPs in your collection? Pics and history.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Giorgio, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ahhrrrg...I didn't notice it and I didn't knew it was a CBS EU's inner, but I think you're right ... damn ...
    Are you able to tell me the correct inner for an original US copy of Abraxas?

2. Giorgio

Do you have the possibility to post a pic of the right one?

3. Fat Bob

Fat Bob Forum Resident

I'm fairly sure that's a later EMI inner sleeve. I associate this design with the early 1980s. I can see a three digit code at the bottom of the sleeve. Is it a date code?
    I have this inner in my 'Alan Dell' Sinatra pressings from the mid 1980s. One has '284' printed on the bottom, meaning it was made in February 1984.
    And early Stiff LPs had a plain black inner sleeve with a die-cut hole for the label. Sadly my original copy of this Damned LP is long lost to a house fire, so I can't check for you.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Mbe and Giorgio like this.
  4. Giorgio

Very nice feedback, thanks!
    ...sadness for what happened to your home...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Fat Bob likes this.
  5. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Sorry, I no longer have an original Abraxas on hand to check.

Giorgio likes this.
  6. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Inner sleeve appears to be Jan 81 (181) with a purchase receipt date as October 81 (6 / 10 81).

Fat Bob and Giorgio like this.
  7. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Capitol inner sleeves often had the year on them, so Rubber Soul and Revolver for example had the years (1965 & 1966) above the small pics of LPs shown from the Capitol catalog...easy to see what sleeve goes where.

Giorgio likes this.
  8. Giorgio

If there is a date is "easy" of course...and, of course, the only Capitol inner I have is without a date ...I'm the usual lucky one, of course :p

9. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

If your Lou Reed is indeed an early pressing (I can't tell from the photo) then the RCA sleeve would be identical to the one you show but lacking the small box of text printed on the backside. My earliest RCA sleeve with the 'text' is dated 3/75. Earlier pressings I have, Nilsson Schmilsson for example, had the plain RCA sleeve similar to the one you show.

Santana Abaraxas and their 3rd LP sold millions. Practically every one I've seen used a square plain white paper inner -- fold over outside side seams - these commonly used by Columbia through the 70's.

Giorgio likes this.
  10. Giorgio

Yes, Transformer is a 1st UK FWIK, matrix 1E/1E and fully laminated cover...ok understood about its inner, thanks!
    Thanks also for the feedback on Abraxas :righton:

11. Giorgio

For the following UK queries, maybe Mr. @muffmasterh is the man, and I know also Mr. @Raunchnroll is very experienced ...of course every one of you who has info, or can provide a feedback is very very welcome :righton:

- Fairport Convention, S/T, original 1968 UK red Polydor label, mono, matrix A ▽ 1 and B//2.
    Released date: 1968.
    This kind of polylined inner should be the right one, but I am a bit confused about what they seem two date codes on it: "/48" and "/119".
    What do they mean? April 1968...Novembre 1969?
    Obviously a inner cannot be dated simultaneously '68 and '69 ... there will be an explanation to this, maybe they are not date codes ...

Help...help... :help:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About 1968 Polydor's inners, I have also the following:
    - Cream, Wheels Of Fire, original 1968 UK red polydor label, mono, matrix A ▽ 1/B ▽ 1/A ▽ 1/B ▽ 1.
    Released date: August 1968.
    Not the same type of inner as per the above Fairport's album, no date code here, all cornes are cropped, they are not polylined...so I have some doubts that they are the correct ones, but I have no others Polydor'68 albums for a comparison...
    Are they the right ones?
    What do you have in your copy?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Raunchnroll

The date code is 11 9 - November 1969. I guess they were still sending out monos of this album at that time.
    Sometimes the date codes have additional numbers to one side, which may be internal codes such the shop they were made at, the lot or run information, etc.

The Cream Wheels - mono - usually have late 1968 thru 1969 date codes. The thin 'see-through' one you have is a very late 70's/early 80's sleeve, I usually found these in EMI product albums. The normal looking sleeve is mid-70's.

Giorgio likes this.
  13. Giorgio

So in cases like this inner, with two codes one behind the other, to know its date we have to take into account the one on the right, the last one... correct?

14. Raunchnroll

Additional numbers may be on either side. Sometimes the date is only partly printed or illegible. Dating Polydor inners is also be done by the characteristics of the sleeve.

Giorgio likes this.
  15. Canoli

Canoli Forum Resident

03 73

AaronW and Giorgio like this.
  16. Giorgio

Eh...I was hoping it was easier to understand, especially when the date codes are present ... but it doesn't seem to be always like this, it takes a lot of experience, and I have little, I am grateful for your support!!

So, for example: this polylined one with a big "Important Notice" box over the usual "Plastic bags can be dangerous" box, how should it be dated?
    There is also a code "1 05" ...but maybe it's not the right thing to look at here...

[​IMG]

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've had two Damned original debut LPs through my hands, including my own copy. Both have the black die cut inner you describe and a fully laminated sleeve.

Giorgio likes this.
  18. Brian Hoffman

Brian Hoffman Obsessive fanatic extraordinaire

Interesting, so probably whatever shop it was in in '81 replace the sleeve with something else they had laying around. Good to know!

Mbe and Giorgio like this.
  19. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

I remember a boom for cheaper import pressings being sold through independent UK stores from late 70’s through the 80’s and beyond.
    One of these stores across the North of England would be Bostock Records which initially sold copies for at least halve the price of UK pressings.

Image from the net
    [​IMG]

Other members will probably have more information about this phenomenon :)

Giorgio likes this.
  20. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

A loss leader?

21. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Rolling Stones, Now!
    As mentioned earlier these UK pressed discs were sent in the below pictured sleeves and placed in US printed covers upon arrival.
    [​IMG]

All Down The Line and Giorgio like this.
  22. Giorgio

Welcome to this party Slick :)
    Yes, you are correct, as usual :thumbsup:

Slick Willie likes this.
  23. Slick Willie

Whos Next
    Headhunter inner.
    [​IMG]

Giorgio likes this.
  24. Slick Willie

Transformer.
    RCA inner explaining the advantages of Dynaflex.
    [​IMG]

Stone Turntable and Giorgio like this.
  25. Giorgio

Ehehe .... In this case you have been not very attentive, here is my post (#22) from few days ago on this topic, what do you think?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    WhoTapes1 likes this.