Do you have the correct/original inner sleeves into each LPs in your collection? Pics and history.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Giorgio, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I have a gatefold that's identical to the inner on different versions.

c-eling likes this.
  2. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

With your example I suspect a switch. But with club releases a generic is also possible.

izgoblin likes this.
  4. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Do we have Nirvana collectors?

I have this copy, it is a US Columbia Record Club pressing, CRC on back cover and on labels, from '92/'93 I think...
    The few copies that I have found in my research (Popsike, Ebay, Discogs), which also report the inner contained in them, show a plain white one.
    In my copy, on the other hand, I have what appears to be the inner that comes with the original '91 pressings, with the photo of the monkey on one side and photos and credits on the other side.
    I'm afraid this inner isn't correct for this CRC press ...

What do you have in your CRC copy?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Giorgio

Any Nirvana's collector? :(

6. Giorgio

- The Beatles, Abbey Road, UK 1969 original, EMI/Apple label, 2/1 matrix, miss-aligned-apple cover, no Her Majesty.
    We all know, this LP were released with both black and white inner sleeve, maybe the white one is just more common...
    My copy has this black inner, that is smooth on the exterior and rough on the inside, whit the window-hole on one side only, no text at all on it, and it should be the right one.
    Please let me know if I'm wrong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rxcory, Mylene and Man at C&A like this.
  7. Giorgio

In my archive, I also have these three UK EMI's inners, and I'd like to know if among these there is also the white one, present in the original UK press of Abbay Road.
    They look the same, all have the flipbacks, all without window-holes, but each of them has a different corner profile, the corner's shape are not the same.
    In addition, the text on them also has differences: the first one in the upper left has "PATENT NO. 1,125,555," in the lower left corner, and "MADE IN ENGLAND" in the lower right corner; while the other two have respectively "PATENT Nos. 1,125,555" and "MADE IN GREAT BRITAIN".

Can anyone tell me if there is the original UK white EMI inner that was in the Abbey Road LP among these?

Thanks!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... sometimes the photos are big, sometimes small, I don't know why !!

8. peter

peter Senior Member

Giorgio, all of the inner sleeves you show in your posts number 356 and 357 are correct UK inners. All were used for the UK Abbey Road LP, among other UK EMI (and non EMI) LP's - obviously. For example, I have also seen these inners (going from memory here) on UK Deep Purple, Elton John, Kinks, and Pink Floyd LP's. This list of artists is just a sampling - there are many, many more. This style of inner (and by that I mean: white, w/ curved corners and SOME text on the bottom of the sleeve - though not always on both sides - i.e., sometimes there was only MADE IN ENGLAND printed and sometimes there was just the patent number and sometimes no text at all) appeared into the 80's. For instance, my UK copy of Joe Jackson's Big World album contains similar inners, though with thinner paper and sometimes blue text.

Most of the early UK Abbey Roads I have found have had a white inner (as shown in your posts 356 and 357) or no correct UK inner at all. I think I have only ever actually bought between 1 - 3 UK Abbey Roads with a CORRECT (!) UK black inner sleeve. And, here you have to be REALLY CAREFUL because authentic 1969 UK black inner sleeves were ROUGH TEXTURED on the inside (!) of the inner, not the outside and THIS is how you can discern them from replicas made today - along with the fact that the center hole for the label was only cut into only one side of the inner sleeve. (Same for the black inners found on the White Album BTW.) No one today in their right mind would manufacture a black inner sleeve that was rough on the inside and so no one does. Hence, it's fairly easy to tell if your's is authentic. Obviously, you would not store the LP - ever - in one of these original inners.

Finally, there was, for a short time, a rather unique UK white inner used for Abbey Road (never seen it on any other LP). It featured a long rectangular box at the bottom of one side of the inner sleeve telling you how to care for the record. I had one of these and sold it. Very hard to find.

rxcory and Giorgio like this.
  9. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

See Progmogs response. That is the right inner. Every pressing of this label & LP this I've seen was by Orlake, and Orlake used that square shape white paper / center window / poly lined inner with the UK Patents text in the corner. Same inner as used by early UK DJM and Pye pressings.

The sleeve you originally pictured is a 1979 date coded Polydor.

izgoblin and Giorgio like this.
  10. Raunchnroll

So...of the 2 sleeves you pictured here, the lower one with the finer font is the one commonly used on EMI products from 1969 thru 1971. (Abbey Road, Let It Be, McCartney s/t etc.) The sturdy paper is 'finished' or smooth on the outside - and noticeably textured on the inside. Around late 71 and thru 1972 releases this exact same sleeve shows up in plain white paper, a little bit thinner, and the texture is the same outside as inside.

The upper one with the thicker text starts to show up in 1973 (Queen and Bad Company s/t for example) and is used through the late 70's.

Giorgio likes this.
  11. Raunchnroll

Nope. Thats an Orlake (Island, Columbia, etc.) / Pye / DJM label inner. LZ 1 was pressed by Polydor. The pressings that came with this first state cover had the uncrossed '8' in the matrix and came in a Polyor inner with the date code.

Giorgio likes this.
  12. progmog

progmog Senior Member

Much appreciated; I had my doubts, and you have confirmed them. I have a lot of spare Polydor sleeves - now I just need to find the right one!

Giorgio likes this.
  13. Giorgio

Thanks @peter for your detailed feedback!
    The black inner on my Abby Road is rough textured on the inside, so it's genuine original from that time, it isn't a replica made today. At the end for this title I'm happy, it is complete.
    I will use one of the white ones to keep the vinyl, which I inserted here in the black one just to take the photo ... yes, with that rough surface inside it is "insane" to keep it like that, I agree.

14. Giorgio

Thanks @james for this feedback!

How is the 1979 data code identified on this inner?

15. Giorgio

Uhmm...never noticed that, I have to check this evening the inside of this inner with the finer font...

16. Giorgio

This one, whit a correct date for your 1st UK.

17. Raunchnroll

It would have had one with an early month 1969 date. Its not uncommon to find first runs with a date code from a month or two before the release date.

Giorgio likes this.
  18. Raunchnroll

Supposedly the black inners were left over from their manufacture for white album. In any case they show up on some of the -1 Yellow Submarines, Harrisons Wonderwall Music, and Abbey Road. Although only 1 in maybe 7 had the black inner. The white textured England / Patent was more prevalent.

I don't think its the inside texturing on the black sleeves thats a problem; they're very soft paper and even gripping it between the fingers a bit shows it can leave a little black smudging. I always use audiophile sleeves to keep the actual record in. The black inners are kept in as an original part.

Giorgio and peter like this.
  19. peter

peter Senior Member

Raunch:

Great post - as always. I think your 1 in 7 estimate is pretty accurate as it mirrors my own experience.

I have only ever found 2 orig. UK flip-back cover YS's and BOTH had the black inner, so you are correct there too.

Giorgio and Man at C&A like this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

My UK mono Yellow Submarine has the black inner sleeve.

peter and Giorgio like this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I found it in a charity shop. They had it priced at £15. Really nice clean flipback sleeve with no creases, unsplit and untorn black inner with a nice unspoilt label showing. 'This is going to be superb' I was thinking, then I take the record out and there's loads of scuffs and light scratches on it! It plays through well though. Some clicks and crackle but not enough to ruin it

Giorgio likes this.
  22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

My Abbey Road first pressing has a white inner bag on the bottom left it has Patent No 1,125,555, Bottom right MADE IN ENGLAND

Giorgio likes this.
  23. Giorgio

We have already spoken for this title, and we have already identified its correct inner, I know, but I just found the stereo version (in my previous post it was the mono one) in beautiful condition, and complete with its original inner dated 078 (July 1968, released date of this LP: June '68), where the old owner wrote the group name, title, catalog number and his signature.
    On back cover, you can see a date imprinted on cover's lamination, what I believe to be the day he bought this LP in late '68.
    Well, I hate any type of writing on LPs....but in this case I realize I have here an important testimony of the precise historical moment in which this album was sold, and the whole set, cover, vinyl and inner, is genuine and original of that exact time ... and this makes me happy.

To you, who have kept this LP so well, if you are a member of this forum and you will recognize yourself in your signature, I thank you very much!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stone Turntable and izgoblin like this.
  24. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Did you find this at a store or online? That's a feeling I don't think I've had in a record store.

Giorgio likes this.
  25. Giorgio

Online, by Discogs, from a nice UK seller.