Do you hear an improvement with Hi-Res?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Plan9, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregM

GregM The expanding man

By that logic, why not subscribe to the tens of millions of consumers who feel an iPod with earbuds is the apex of audio achievement. Or why don't we all listen to Britney Spears because she's more popular than John Coltrane.

2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Doug pretty much sums up well how I feel.

3. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

With my Denon DVD 2900, I hear significant differences with DVD-Audio discs, but not as much with SACD's, though I do hear a difference compared with redbook playback. I suspect that my Denon was probably made more for high-rez playback with DVD-A than for SACD playback. I'm hoping to get the Oppo BDP-95 to see if thats the case in the near future!

4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I feel the opposite is true. When I hear a mic feed and compare it to a DSD encoding it seems more natural and closer to the live event. When I hear a PCM encoding it is not quite as smooth and has similar characteristics to redbook digital.

But in any event, really well done 24/176 or 24/192 can sound as good as a well done SACD.

Over the years, my appreciation for 24/176 and 24/96 has grown due to HDTracks, DAD and HDAD discs and as more DVD-Audio discs than have come into my collection. I also have heard some top quality PCM needledrops. However, I still give the edge to good Super Audio playback.

We are, I think, in a golden age of available music. So many forms, so many good remasterings, so many titles to choose from.

Another observation. Mastering is HUGE. If that is not right then the format is not very important. The original recording is HUGE also. If the original recording stinks, no amount of lipstick will make the pig look pretty.

But the amazing thing is when ALL THREE come together - Recording, Mastering and Higher Resolution Format. That creates magic like a nice early pressing on LP can do.

A couple of days ago I was at my friend Nick's house working on our recordings. Nick played the Falla Three Cornered Hat HDAD (on order) on his system which includes Tiny Dancers, REL subs, and Musical Fidelity gear. It sounded spectacular! We played a lot of stuff but wound up listening to his new J-Corder tape deck with some fine tapes almost master tape quality in nature. Wow. Another sonic spectacular. Looking back, it seems that the Falla HDAD was very close to a fine tape on a fine Reel to Reel. That's great digital for you. Deep, wide soundstage. Perfect instrument timbre. Layering of instruments in the orchestra. Detail but not edgy.

We need more hirez so that's why I'm sometimes snarky in the Hardware forum.

We need a Resolution Revolution. :cheers:

5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Agree on all counts, Lee. Interestingly it was the Neil Young Archives (Blu-ray) and the 2L 2-fers (containing Blu-ray and hybrid SACD discs in the same package sourced from the same recordings) that convinced me that high res PCM can potentially sound as good as DSD.

Neil Young archives BD http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._1_title_0_main&s=music&qid=1331174095&sr=1-1

2L sampler (BD and hybrid SACD) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TT2&ref_=sr_1_1&s=music&qid=1331174184&sr=1-1

Look no further than the 2L sampler above, The Nordic Sound, if you want to compare various formats (including CD, SACD and 24/192 of some excellent recordings.

6. Skyflash

Skyflash Forum Resident

For me it's all about 24 bit more than the sample rate but at the end of the day
    it don't mean squat if you don't have a good D/A converter.

7. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Then why make a poll at all, if in the end it's you who decides what's true and good and not the stupid masses consisting of the rest of us on this forum. :shrug:

8. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

Dramatic difference with a good DAC and a decent system and decent ears.

Less of a difference (but still an improvement) without.

No improvement with Apple earbuds.

9. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

I hope you are successful. I wish more (all) new music was released hi-res.

Of course I also have a very large wish list of older titles I'd like to download HD version of or get on DVD-A and rip for playback on my music server.

10. stuckinthe60's

stuckinthe60's Forum Resident

Dramatic may be a bit of a stretch (and, of course, variables and/or differences in source recordings will play a big part in this), but the gist of your point is well-taken.

11. Danglerb

Danglerb Forum Resident

Wow only one more day left in this poll I slipped in under the wire. Its funny what people who don't understand math will believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.