Do you keep track of stylus playtime?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oelewapper, Feb 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor. Thread Starter

As we all know, styli need to be replaced when worn.
    In most cases, wear is determined by the amount of hours a stylus has been used.

I was wondering if anyone is actually keeping track of how many hours they have on their styli - and how?
    Is there an easy way to do so or is it just a matter of taking notes?
    Do you just guesstimate how many hours you have on your styli?
    Or don't you worry about playback hours at all?
    Do you use a microscope or your ears instead?
    Or do you use some way to measure distortion of the output signal?

2. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Yep with a Parks Audio Puffin, fantastic device, of course only one of its many, many functions.

3. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

I do since I bought a Puffin which has that feature. Before that, no, but I would have probably started to guesstimate at some point.

jusbe likes this.
  4. Oelewapper

Wow I knew it has a lot of tricks up its sleeve, but I didn't know about that function.
    That's definitely a nice feature!
    Does it also do multiple cartridges/styli?

5. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

I use one of these...

StylusTimer

Very useful and only $20

btstu, slasshdork, COBill and 7 others like this.
  6. edwyun

edwyun Forum Resident

Easy, with the Phoenix Eagle/RR and SOTA Condor/RR, which have a built in accumulated playing time counter.

7. maycontainmultitudes

maycontainmultitudes Audiophail

I just got my new table and cart last week, so I thought I’d start and guesstimate the hours I’m putting on it. Tracking using no frills app called Counter. Mostly curious re when I get to the supposed 50 hour break in point, but also hours in total for when it’s time to think about replacing the stylus.

8. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I don't play my LPs more than a few hours a week. Much more play time on the digital side. Best bet is replacing every thousand hours. So as a guess every two to three years. Tubes are due every three so there is that...

9. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

Yes
    [​IMG]

TarnishedEars likes this.
  10. wrxr7

wrxr7 Forum Resident

Yep, same here. Love that feature!

Yes, it will track up to four.

Technocentral and Oelewapper like this.
  11. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Really, it will track four? Didn’t know that!

12. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

+1

13. I use a mechanical tally counter per side.
    It's not dead on accurate, but dividing the count by 3 is close enough to approximate hours of use.

dorer, Big Blue, Encore and 4 others like this.
  14. Thanks for the link, just bought 1.

15. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Guesstimate, plus listening and looking, is the right answer. Treating the suspiciously rounded-to-the-nearest-whatever maximum-hour recommendations of cartridge manufacturers as scientifically precise cut-off points seems somewhat credulous. They're ballpark guesstimates too!

Go and do likewise, I say.

jusbe likes this.
  16. Oelewapper

Yeah that's more or less my way of doing things too.
    I only play records when I'm having a long listening session, like a full afternoon or evening.
    Unlike digital, records are way more engaging, so to me, they're a getaway from reality and they deserve plenty of time and attention because of that.
    So about 10 hours a week maximum and on top of that, I'm switching between cartridges regularly.

Hah! Yeah that actually makes sense.
    Nicely plain and simple approach.

Stone Turntable and Ntotrar like this.
  17. wrxr7

wrxr7 Forum Resident

Yes, you have four user setting "slots" that will keep all of your settings. Essentially you can save your settings (including playtime) for four different turntables.

Just make sure you save your current setting before switching users slots, or you will lose your current playtime. Ask me how I know...

Edit: I should add that you can set the playtime to any value. For instance, if you buy a used cart that has 50 hours on it, you can set the Puffin to 50 hours for that cart, and it will count up from there.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
    captouch likes this.
  18. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Forgive my ignorance but won’t it become obvious when it’s time to replace a stylus? Isn’t the time really just arbitrary? The one time I’ve had to so far it started distorting really bad in the right channel.

Frank Bisby likes this.
  19. fje99

fje99 Well-Known Member

I use one of those cheapo lap counter clicker things you can find on Amazon for about ten bucks.

myles likes this.
  20. Oelewapper

Wearing down a stylus is something that happens gradually and slowly.
    When you actually start noticing it, you're likely to be (too) late already.
    Unless you have a fresh duplicate stylus to compare with of course.

21. By which time your knackered stylus has been causing groove damage.

When I was was in my teens I used to replace the stylus in my ceramic cart every year.

Big Blue, patient_ot and imsjry like this.
  22. Oelewapper

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
    Yeah... before the age of the internet we had to learn it the hard way... lol

23. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

10 Hours a week will get you 100 weeks or 1.9 years, call it two years. Sounds correct to me...

24. Not really.
    The cost of stylii was low because just about everybody bought them on a regular basis.
    The necessity of replacing it on a regular basis was just an accepted thing.
    They were often replaced annually, just because it was the accepted thing to do.

25. Oelewapper

Ah I was thinking the other way around, with the short lifespan those styli on ceramic carts have.
    Idk if records were the main format at your place, but if so, I would think that once a year isn't often enough.
    I mean, those styli on ceramic cartridges have a lifespan of what? only 100 hours?
    Definitely not the 500 hours of a conical tip on an MM/MC cartridge...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.