Do you play your computer through your main stereo system?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RickH, Jan 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

Recently I've been listening to some of the radio stations on Apple's iTunes and recording to cassette (remember those? :) ) So, I thought I'd try running a cable from my Gateway's earphone jack to the back of my Sherwood and listen a while through my Optimus LX-5's & sub. It doesn't sound too bad, actually - a whole lot better than the miniscule computer speakers. The stations on there run anywhere from 24 kbps to 128 kbps. Do any of you who listen to net radio do this?

2. willywoody

willywoody New Member

not into internet radio but i do stream my itunes through an airport express connected to my HT setup. sounds good, better than cassette quality, but it's great for parties. w

3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I'd like to do that but internet radio has so many volume variations that I probably need some kind of limiter. Any good models out there?

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I do run my computer to my stereo through my soundcards. That's the way I master my needle drops and do my mixes.

5. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

6. grumpyBB

grumpyBB Forum Resident

7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Nope! I use my stereo system for "serious listening" and nothing else.

8. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

I know my Sherwood has an optical input, not sure about USB, I'll check tonight. What exactly does the 1200 do?

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I have a USB in on my Pioneer pre amp.

I've always listed to my computer through a good stereo. It's almost essential now with soundcards and the management of things like iTunes library.

10. Grant

Just to let you know, soundcards are so good now that you can use a computer for "serious" listening. Using a computer doesn't mean having to listen to compressed formats. I don't.

11. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I don't listen to net radio much anymore since getting XM, but nonetheless, my computer is another input source for my main hi-fi rig. I record needle drops at 24/96, and need a good playback to hear what they sound like. Even when I had streaming radio, I liked to be able to hear it louder/better than using computer speakers.

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I can't afford good sound cards. Alas, someday I will get a good set up.

13. petermwilson

petermwilson New Member

Hi
    Actually since WDM9 came out I wouldn't be without it. When I put together my HT back in 2000 part of it was the first ever progscan dvd the Tosh5109. One of its features was it decoded and played HDCDs.

A little research to wwwhdcd.com explained amoung other things that the concept was a joint invention between Microsoft and Pacific Microsonics. It also explains that if the decoder is in the player you need an analog (red, white) hookup to your reciever/processor and a digital (coax,opt) if decoding is done in your processor.

Anyway the 5109 is now a second system with an Onkyo575 and my Denon 5800/03 did not add hdcd in the upgrade. the good news is that the afore mentioned Windows Media 9 now recognizes and plays my HDCDs through an analog connection from my snd card to the Denon.

If your not that familiar with HDCD you can visit the site and probably discover that you already have some discs. I think anything Joni Mitchell or Manheim Steamroller is HDCD and many artists that have a "16 Greatest Hits" release. Just a word of warning if you non-chalantly decide to print out the list, its 26 pages.

Peter m.

14. Grant

Hey, I know what you're trying to do, but in case you're serious, sure you can! You can get one for under $200.

15. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

The stereo link is a box that on one end plugs into the usb port of your computer, bypassing the soundcard. The other end of the box is a seperate left and right stereo in plugs.
    Gives me great sound. When I was going through my soundcard, I kept getting a buzz.
    The stereo-link elimated the problems I had with soundcards.
    I highly recommend it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.