Do you still have and use that old MP3 player

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by watsy1958, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

No. These days I use Spotify and my cell phone.

2. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

If we're wishing, Wi-Fi would be cool too. Bluetooth would be better, though. You would be able to use wireless headphones, if you wished.

Have you Rockboxed yours yet? If not, do it.
    The UI isn't as pretty as the stock one, but it makes it a MUCH better player. I've done A/B comparisons using the same file and the same headphones, and even with my modest headphones, I could tell the difference in sound quality.

3. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

What is it in this day? An Edsel? :laugh:

4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

These were my first few, I still have them all, and they all still work:

iRiver IFP-180T 128 MB MP3 Player:
    [​IMG]

iRiver IFP-890 256 MB MP3 Player:
    [​IMG]

iRiver iHP-H120 20GB MP3 Player:
    [​IMG]

When I last used the H120, I had put RockBox on it in order to play FLAC. It worked quite well, and sounded really great combined with my Ray Samuels "The Tomahawk" portable headphone amp.

5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I still have one with a 2.3¨ screen that can play 320X240 AVI files and has an analog TV tuner. Nice for the beach. I just spent 2 weeks listening to reggae music on 320 Kbps. Not a substitute for any system but nice as an on-the-go device paired to my Senheiser CX-100 earbuds (although a little sssibilant;))

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hey! Neil Young must have stolen the idea of the triangular MP3 player from them! They can sue! Is iRiver even still in business?

colinu likes this.
  7. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Yeah, I posted a pic of the 180T in the Pono thread when it was first announced. I wonder if it had any influence in the design of the Pono, or if it's just a coincidence.

I think iRiver is the company producing the Astell & Kern high-end players. I'm not positive about that, though.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

I still use my Zune. Still like it better than the iPod or iPhone for listening to music. My 120gb unit died about the time that Zune was dying, I managed to get it replaced with an 80 FB unit as they no longer made the 120. I still prefer the Zune PC app for managing and organizing my library. I stopped using my Creative Nomad 20gb when I got the Zune and finally recycled it.

MikaelaArsenault and Gaslight like this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Gotcha...

10. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I have a 60 gig iPod (I guess you'd call it 'Classic' now) that is about 8 years old and still gets used regularly in its docking station in our house. Both were wedding gifts. Never use it as a portable, but I regularly use my Sansa Clip as a portable player.

11. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Yes, I've installed Rockbox and I like the available EQ. However, the words on the screen are really small.

12. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

Yeah, I know the feeling. Now that I'm getting older, I'm finding I can't read what's on that screen very well either.

There are different skins you can download that would give you a bigger font. I haven't done that yet, but I'm thinking about it.

13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

My mother gave me a Sansa SanDisk thing one Christmas years ago but I hardly ever used it. It's laying around here somewhere. Too much of a pain in the ass to upload new songs to it (and it doesn't have that much storage anyway). Easier to just use my discman, which is what I do.

14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

My Sansa Clip+ has to be at least five years old now(?) -- still my primary device for the gym as it takes a beating and just keeps on playing. :)

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I looked at a Rio or something a long time ago, figured out that I could drag and drop songs via a folder structure, and said "I'm selling this iPod. Something way better than iTunes!" Seriously.

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I have a Sansa player that I still use in the gym. With a cheap micro SD card upgrade, now it has 40Gb of storage. That works for me. Much more than my phone, and if I break/lose it, no huge deal.

17. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

18. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Yep...I'm still using this baby >>>

iRiver IHP-140

[​IMG]

19. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

The only mp3 player I've ever had was a iPod touch, which I was hesitant at first about because touch screen technology to me seemed unreliable. However, after using it for a few months, it ended up being one of the best experiences I've ever had with a mp3 player. It was so diverse with its capabilities, so it was very much more than simply an mp3 player. Unfortunately, someone borrowed it and never returned it. Though, admittedly, the only time I ever used it was when I was on campus, or I was staying at someone else's house when I couldn't sleep.

20. italianprog

italianprog Forum Resident

I use my 5th gen iPod classic almost everyday in the kitchen, either docked or with headphones. It recently got Rockboxed and having FLACs on it is great.

21. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

In previous MP3 threads I have steadfastly defended my 64gb and 120gb Zunes. It can now be said: I sold both of them! A. I needed the money. B. My phone now has a 128gb micro sd card loaded to the gills, and with a built-in quality player (PowerAmp-best Android music player by far) that can handle 24/96 FLAC files! Sorry Zunes-you served me well for years but I finally had to give up the ghost.

22. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

I still use my very first MP3 player (iPod Shuffle) when I work out. It's tiny and holds a few hours of music, which I can change easily using iTunes. Works for me.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.