Do you use a sub-woofer ? Is it best to use 1 or 2 ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Soundlabs, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soundlabs

Soundlabs Reference Townshend Audio Dealer. Thread Starter

I have purchased 2 Rel Stadiums both with high level cable the connection is xlr to yellow, red and black so i am guessing that i connect one to each of my Nord Acoustic class D monos. So the red and yellow will go to + and black to - on each mono, does this sound right ?
    I will be getting the subs delivered this week, the 2 used Rel Stadiums were about the same price as 1 used Rel Stentor from reading the replies nearly everyone is advising 2 is better than 1 thank you. The Stadium was a great sub in its day, the Stentor was a better one but i do believe 2 Stadiums will be at least as good as 1 Stentor maybe better it is definitely worth the gamble.

SteelyNJ and Josquin des Prez like this.
  2. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

It’s difficult to argue that 1 is “better” objectively, largely for the reasons stated already. However, for my situation the decision to go with 1 was the right choice.

My room is well behaved with respect to bass nodes. Response is even from the lowest octaves produced (flat to around 30 hz, then rolled off) to well past the crossover point. This is at the listening position and I don’t wander around much. One subwoofer positioned between the speakers including both channels works wonders for me and the integration is seamless to my ears. I cannot localize anything with respect to the sub, I’ve tried.

I’m not in a cost no object situation so there’s an opportunity cost to a 2nd sub. This was the right choice for me.

Kyhl likes this.
  3. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

I only use 1 subbie however it's big and I have it facing ACROSS the room so it ain't in my face. It's an ACTIVE S/W (same as my speakers) and its cabling is as follows ..
    CD player > mixer > subbie > L&R spkrs.
    Subbie and spkrs same brand (Yamaha) so all settings compatible.

4. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I think if you feel like the sub is "in your face" when it's pointed toward you there is a good chance you have it setup wrong. A sub should disappear into the room. Not draw your attention to itself (or make you want to point it away from you). Both my subs are aimed right at me. If I closed my eyes I wouldn't know I where they are.

5. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

It's pointed AWAY from me because it's dimensions won't allow me to to have it facing me... I'm very happy with its subtleness and it fills the room with a controllable warm bass.

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  6. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I have to echo those who favor two subs. Got two SVS 12 inch sealed subs a few months ago. The fullness of the sound is terrific. Nice tight bass, no way is it overwhelming.

7. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I isolate the subs from the concrete slab - I have many things hanging in my room and when the walls shake the buzzing starts.

I want to hear the sub and not my house. I can feel the bass sometimes and although I do like bass as it adds dynamics to the music, I don't want to overpower the music.

I don't listen to electronica or rap or anything else that relies on heavy bass lines. The heaviest it gets in my home is classical organ music which moves my vertical blinds like an open window.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

That is where I am. Don't have an unlimited budget and generally in life subscribe to the idea of having quality over quantity, given the same budget. That works for speakers too. I'd rather have two higher quality speakers then five lesser quality. Given an unlimited budget that might change.

I use a single sub of the best quality I could afford in a treated room. Treatment being the key that evens out the frequency response throughout the room. Not that I listen from multiple locations, because I don't, but it does even out the response at the listening position as well.

maglorine likes this.
  9. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

For the longest time I used one subwoofer (various systems, various rooms) but a few months ago I bought a new SVS sub with the intention of using it as a replacement for the Rythmic that I planned to sell. Before disconnecting the Rythmik I hooked up the new SVS, paired the two subs and integrated them into my system with the assistance of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and Sub EQ HT on my Marantz receiver. Needless to say, it sounded so good that I ditched the plan of selling the Rythmik and stayed with the dual sub setup. One sub is all you "need" but two can give smoother, whole-room results so long as everything is correctly dialed in. My 2 cents. You can always start with one sub and live with it until you save up a few more bucks, at which time you can upgrade to a better one or add a second sub.

Soundlabs, old45s and Vinny123 like this.
  10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Don't really have things shaking in the listening room.

If a sub is properly dialed in, then you don't really notice that it is there, only that the system sounds big and full. If deep bass is needed, then the sub will willingly provide for it.

11. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I’ve always found, at least w music, that what works best for me, is that when you switch the subs off you’re missing the fullness of the sound. Something is missing.
    The soundstage seems to shrink as well. Turning them back on subtly restores that fullness. I find that w subs, less is often more. I avoid the boom boom. No need to shake the room.

12. Soundlabs

What treatment do you use please ?

13. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Absorption. I don't really have the room for diffusion.
    Mostly GIK stuff. Quite a few 2x4x4 panels, some of which were DIY. Two Tri-Traps. Two Soffit traps. And a really large home made fluffy fiberglass corner trap. Going from memory, it is about three feet across the face of it, maybe a bit more. Floor to ceiling. It makes a Tri-Trap look significantly small. Measuring before and after it reduced ringing in the room down to 20hz.

14. Supplementary question for those who have decided to go the dual subwoofer route: is it preferable that both subs be the same model from the same manufacturer, or do you mix and match subs to improve your low frequencies?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Measured the big corner trap. It is 40" across the face. For comparison, a Tri-Trap is 23 1/4". So nearly twice as wide and twice as deep, or about 4 times larger than a Tri-Trap.

16. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Mine are both the same model, but purchased years apart. I bought the second used on A'gon. I never considered mixing, but also can't say that it shouldn't be done. My dealer – whose expertise I trust – said I should stick to the same ones, since they each are driven by one channel, i.e. as a L/R pair.

displayname likes this.
  17. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I bought 2 of the Elac Debut 3010 subs when they went on sale for Black Friday. They fit where i wanted to put them. They go down to 28hz. I couldnt quite get them dialed in using my smartphone mic. It resulted in one going crazy and moving around the floor with the massive bass, and the other remaining silent.

So now i just use the eq pre set to “music” and its a nice subtle addition. I set the low pass to 42hz since my Sonus Faber Chameleon T main speakers go to 38hz.

I did pick up a pair of FMOD active crossover replacement plugs at 70hz and plugged them between my pre and my amp and then set the low pass to 74 or so on the subs. Interesting effect. A little fatiguing.

I am probaby doing it wrong. I figure if i have more room someday i will use the subs with my LS50s in my office

18. MBT68

MBT68 I remember dates, names, numbers...

I have a beautful set of Heresy IIIS but really needed some additional bottom. Added a single Klipsch Powered sub and bam good to go!

19. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I suppose it’s preferable to use matched subs but as I sort of explained a few posts back, last Black Friday I grabbed an SVS PB12-NSD on sale and ended up pairing it with the two-year-old Rythmik LV12R that I originally planned to sell. After balancing the two 12” ported subs with my Marantz receiver’s Audyssey programs, I was sold.

20. Soundlabs

I am selling the 2 Rel Stadiums and have got a Rel Stentor coming this week if i like it i will look out for another one. The Stadiums were not right with my Soundlabs which have got good bass in my room now they sit on Townshend Podiums, i am trying the add more deep bass what you feel i am not after more of what i already have just a touch more depth to increase and open up the sound stage,
    My listening room is only 12ft wide but 30ft long the Soundlabs fire down the room with 5ft or so behind them which is the furthest i can give them as i have a door which would hit them if i pulled them out any further. I will update regarding the Stentor which has a 200 watt mos-fet amplifier built in the Stadium has a 100 watt mos-fet amplifier built in.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

I suggest you keep the Stadium around and compare with Stendor. If I read it right, Stendor is using a single 8" driver only? I don't have high hope it will do it for you. What you should look for are some subs with 12" or 15" drivers, and well placed to avoid room nulls.

Also, instead of putting the Stadiums apart, try placing them together in the same corner, if possible stacking them, to see if that help increase the feel of deep bass. Oh, and make sure you get the phase right and the crossover right.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  22. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

As you say, you use your subs as an identical stereo pair, right next to each of your front mains.

This makes sense for how you have your system set up.

Unless you are going to use a set up, such as Josquin des Prez, I don't think that you should restrict yourself to using identical subs, if placed in different locations around the room.

I put different subs in different places around the room and have no issues with doing it.

Just like anything else, all that matters is how they all balance out and work together.

SteelyNJ and Josquin des Prez like this.
  23. Soundlabs

HI thanks for taking time to add your help, just for information the Stentor has a 10" driver i googled the specs i will try it along side 1 Stadium or maybe with both Stadiums i will report back, thanks again for your comments.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Soundlabs

Once i settle on a Sub Woofer or 2 or 3 i can further increase performance by isolating them on Townshend Audio Seismic Bars or the latest product dedicated to Sub Woofers are the Seismic Pro-Isolator, Max Townshend has devoted 40/50 years to removing unwanted vibrations in hifi systems.

25. Soundlabs

Got the Rel Stentor mk 1 today paid 350 gbp included delivery, i only barley need it turned on and what an improvement to my system i will be looking out for another 1 to run 1 in each channel for now i will use the Stentor with a Stadium until the Stadiums sells thanks for advice everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.