Do you watch movies on your iPhone!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Aug 28, 2023.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Had access to free streaming, but picture quality was to dark in film scenes which had night scenes ., ( first time streaming ) Clint’s Unforgiven for example. Also I got irritated with some new tv series’s and would switch to another show .. my attention span was incredibly short. So do you watch films etc on a iPhone ?

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  2. alexpop

The Last Of Us (2023)
    Was another I got frustrated with.

3. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I don't have an iPhone. I don't watch movies on my Android phone.

radiofreedavis and EVOLVIST like this.
  4. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

hardly ever! but yes i have! on a plane! otherwise i have better options!

5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I have finished watching TV episodes occasionally, and also watched Youtube videos on a plane, but never sat down and watched a whole film.

6. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

An 8-10 inch tablet, I can get by on in a pinch but if I'm stuck with just a phone for media then it's just e-books and music for me.

7. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I watched one on a flight recently. The first time I ever watched a movie on my phone. I don't think it's something I'll ever do again, except on another long flight. Not a very satisfying experience, but OK for killing time.

DementedAvenger likes this.
  8. alexpop

Tarantino refuses to watch on iPhone.

9. I've watched movies on my Android phone, but only when it's DVD/480i content, which doesn't look good upscaled on a 77" OLED.

That's only in a pinch, though. My laptop screen is only marginally better for lo-res content like 480i or 720p.

10. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

No way would I attempt to watch on my phone. On rare occasion I have watched on my iPad but I don't like that either. Give me a flat screen TV.

musicarus, Ghostworld and EVOLVIST like this.
  11. David67

David67 Forum Resident

You really should be careful how long you stare at the screens on your computers, tablets and smartphones.

If I could see, I would only watch movies on a large tv screen. I really don't see the appeal of watching movies on an iPhone.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...don't have an iPhone, but I would not if I did. : )

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

But 70mm prints look fantastic on a six inch screen!

Speedmaster and EVOLVIST like this.
  14. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I have a smart phone but my data is limited so I might not be able to watch a full movie. But then, I wouldn't if I could. Same with my lap top. Would not watch a movie there either.

15. "A matter of fact
    That a cock ain't a cock on a twelve inch screen..."
    ~ David Bowie, "Alternative Candidate" 1974.

16. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

I would never.
    Am I missing something?

17. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

god no

EVOLVIST likes this.
  18. CosmoSW

CosmoSW Well-Known Member

No! I can make it a few hours on a plane without having to resort to watching Top Gun 2 on my iPhone.

19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Sounds like you need an OLED set and a qualified calibration technician. Just sayin’

to answer the original question: Jesus no!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  20. John Lloyd

John Lloyd Forum Resident

I watch movies on my iPad when I fly long distances. However, I try to limit myself to titles with stereo and mono soundtracks.

21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Never have I ever watched a movie on my phone.

22. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I don't think I'd ever watch a full movie on my iPhone, the experience just isn't comfortable. I occasionally watch bits and pieces because it's a pretty good quality OLED screen but even on the go I'd rather bring my Macbook Pro and watch a movie on the bigger screen than on my phone. Even with my laptop, it's just a better experience to sit back and watch a movie on my 43-inch TV. If I'm on a plane or something I'll just listen to an audiobook or some music unless they have a screen.

23. CD Addict

CD Addict Bonus tracks? Yes, please.

That’s a no for me but if you go back to 2005 and compare the current iPhone lineup display resolution/screen size(s) to the very first iPod Classic with video playback capabilities, it’s kind of shocking:

October 12, 2005, shortly after the introduction of the iPod Nano. The fifth-generation iPod featured a 2.5" 320×240 QVGA screen and a smaller Click Wheel. It was the first iPod to be able to play videos.

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Don't have a cellphone, and verrrry seldom do I stream anything of entertainment-length pieces on my 11" screen Kindle Fire. That said, impossible to judge how the involvement is with a movie or even a television show on a device that can be taken from room-to-room, thus even the exposure to available room light changes with every experience.

Growing up we had portable teevees we could wheel-into different rooms, but always with the expectation that we were "watching television", and not just having it on in the background like a transistor radio versus a console tabletop receiver.

25. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member