Doctor Who Episodes - Official News from The BBC*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheLazenby, Jun 18, 2013.

1. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I agree. These are great.

Curveboy, Shawn and longdist01 like this.
  2. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Jon Pertwee Season 8
    Trailer
    8 Blu-Ray disc Box

Rooster_Ties and Simon A like this.
  3. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Already released in the UK. Not available in the US. All the other ones were released there too, so I don't know what's up with this.

longdist01 and Curveboy like this.
  4. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

It's scheduled for release in the US on June 1, 2021. Most of the US releases for the Blu Ray box sets come about three months after the UK releases.

https://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Pertwee-Complete-Blu-ray/dp/B08SZ8XGMM

longdist01 and Curveboy like this.
  5. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

If you mean that Amazon UK didn’t make the UK edition available to US customers as usual, that may have seemed to be the case, but what really happened was that it was listed as “temporarily out of stock” for US customers during the entire time it was available for UK customers to preorder, then it briefly became available to US customers upon release... but it then sold out (to all customers) within a day, thus returning to “temporarily out of stock.” So unless you were looking every day, it probably looked like it was never available.

Whether they will get more stock or not is questionable.

(During the preorder period, the “out of stock” notice was sometimes accompanied by an “email me when this product is in stock” button, which I clicked at least twice, but I did not get an email while it was actually available.)

6. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Hmmm...I searched weekly for it and could never find it.

I wonder if I clicked 'don't show out of stock items' or something similar as some permanent option. I might have done.

7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Chris DeVoe and Meng like this.
  8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The BBC recently posted the cover art and special features of the partially animated version of The Web of Fear, releasing on DVD, and first-time on Blu-Ray and Steelbook packaging! It arrives 16th August 2021.
    [​IMG]
    This release includes all 5 surviving episodes, plus a brand new fully animated reconstruction of the missing third episode created from the surviving audio-only recordings.

The Web of Fear is the partly missing fifth serial of the fifth season of Doctor Who, which was first broadcast in six weekly parts from February to March 1968. Starring Patrick Troughton as the Doctor, the story concerns an abandoned London and the return of the fearsome Yeti, patrolling the London Underground. It also marks the first appearance of the popular character Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart (before his promotion to Brigadier).

The six episodes (available in black and white and the newly constructed animation in colour and black and white) will include the following exclusive special features:

• Audio commentaries on all episodes (with two on episode 1)
    • An episode 3 Telesnap Reconstruction
    • Photo Gallery
    • A ‘Making Of’ documentary
    • ‘Making the Animation’
    • The Web of Fear Trailer
    • The Missing Years documentary
    • The Many Voices of Jack Woolga

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    Jason W and Curveboy like this.
  9. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Curveboy likes this.
  10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The Evil of the Daleks will be released on 27th September 2021 on DVD, Blu-ray and as an exclusive Steelbook this year, filling another gap in missing Doctor Who episodes.

The Evil of The Daleks is the mostly-missing ninth and final serial of the fourth season of the British series Doctor Who, which originally aired in seven weekly parts from 20 May to 1 July 1967.

The announcement lands on the 53rd anniversary of the date the final episode of the original version aired. The new animated release will be available on DVD, Blu-ray and a Limited Edition Blu-ray Steelbook from 27th September 2021.

The Evil of the Daleks fills another gap in the missing Doctor Who content lost in the purge of the BBC archive soon after the programme’s original transmission. However, audio-only recordings of all seven episodes have survived and have been used here to create a brand new fully animated presentation of this lost classic, featuring the original surviving second episode.

The three disc release gives fans the opportunity to enjoy The Evil of the Daleks, available in either colour or black and white. The release will include:

• Remastered Surviving Original Episode 2
    • Telesnap Reconstructions – 6 episodes
    • Audio Commentaries
    • Audiobook, with recorded commentary by Tom Baker
    • Making Of
    • Photo Gallery

Jason W likes this.
  12. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

That could bring me back to the checkout counter thanks to remaster of Ep 2 and the telesnaps option if done well!

longdist01 likes this.
  13. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

I'm psyched to see these happening, but what I can't help but wonder is: when will the Troughton era get the Blu-ray box set treatment? I kind of want to hold out for that.

longdist01 likes this.
  14. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Probably about 5+ years after there is a new dominant home media form, going by the pace at which the BBC released everything on VHS and DVD...

15. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

That's pretty much the only reason I buy these animation releases... since I don't bother to even watch the animation in most cases. The included reconstructions are basically updated, official versions of the Loose Cannon reconstructions.

beccabear67 and longdist01 like this.
  16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Galaxy 4 with William Hartnell
    Animation release
    November - 2021
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    KAJ1971, tkl7, Blimpboy and 1 other person like this.
  17. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Why? The version of Galaxy 4 on the deluxe Aztecs set was excellent I thought!

18. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

A few reasons...

1. Some don't like reconstructions, so the animation will make them happy. (I personally prefer the recons.)
    2. The reconstruction on the Aztecs DVD was cut down in length. It makes the story flow a little more quickly, which is a good thing, but it would still be nice to get a reconstruction of the full-length story. They can also improve on the reconstruction, as they now have more materials to work with... improved audio, more photos and images to work with, etc.
    3. Some nice extras can be made for the Galaxy 4 release... like a making-of documentary and a photo gallery.
    4. Presumably, the surviving episode and clips will look even better on a Blu Ray disc, with less need for compression to make it fit on a DVD.

Of course, there is also the reason that the BBC would like to capitalize on the story and make some more money from it. Having said that, there hasn't been any official announcements of a Galaxy 4 animation that I've seen. It's been rumored for a few months now, but that's about all. I suspect we'll hear more in coming weeks, if it's planned for this autumn.

Shawn, longdist01 and beccabear67 like this.
  19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

November 15, 2021

DVD/ Blu-Ray

[​IMG]

Limited Edition Steelbook

[​IMG]

Missing adventure ‘Galaxy Four' to be animated in 2021
    Galaxy 4 (alternatively spelled Galaxy Four) is the mostly-missing first serial of the third season of Doctor Who, which originally aired in four weekly episodes from 11th September to 2nd October 1965.

Audio-only recordings of all four episodes have survived from this classic story, and have been used to create a brand new, fully animated story, filling the gaps alongside the original surviving Episode 3 and over five minutes of original footage from the otherwise lost Episode 4.

Release Features:

This two disc release gives fans the opportunity to enjoy the four new animated episodes of Galaxy Four in either colour or black and white. The release will also include:

• Remastered surviving original of Episode 3
    • Remastered surviving clip from Episode 1
    • Telesnap reconstructions of Episodes 1, 2 and 4.
    • Audio commentaries
    • A Making Of documentary
    • A Finding Galaxy 4 documentary
    • Photo gallery
    • Production subtitles

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Simon A, Curveboy, AppleCorp3 and 3 others like this.
  20. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

The second paragraph of the press release incorrectly mentions 5 minutes of surviving footage from Episode 4… it should say Episode 1.

(They got the episode number right in the bulleted list, though it’s not technically one clip. It started as a single piece of film, but 30 seconds were chopped out of the middle to insert into a documentary—which is the only reason this footage still exists—but the three recovered pieces don’t quite join up; there’s a line of dialogue missing at the first cut. An off-air recording of the soundtrack exists, so I expect the line will be present here, accompanied by footage repeated from somewhere else.)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  21. edd2b

edd2b Forum Resident

Call me weird, but I thought that William Hartnell came across as the most intelligent of all the doctors, and the scripts seemed less obviously aimed towards the youth like later incarnations and todays. There was a darkness about them and more space for ones own imagination, but that was common to most things back then. :rolleyes:

I missed the lost episodes of ‘The Celestial Toy Maker’ so would really welcome those. I will also be sad if Patrick Troughton era ; ‘The Moonbase’ is not completed. :sigh:

rod, FireBrigade, Curveboy and 3 others like this.
  22. Great points and ones I tend to agree with. The show arguably lost some of its mystery with the introduction of Gallifrey and the race of time lords at the end of The War Games. Not saying they shouldn’t have introduced that particular back story (you almost have to when a show is seven years old at that point) but it makes me appreciate the Hartnell and Troughton episodes more due to that ‘unknown’ factor.

rod, longdist01 and Simon A like this.
  23. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Over the summer, I’ve watched all of the Pertwee era and a lot from Tom Baker’s first three years. The standard is astonishingly high - probably only one outright dud in the lot of them (The Time Monster, in case you were wondering).

I picked up the animated version of Power of the Daleks in a library sale, but it did nothing for me. I’d sooner the fan-made recons to animations, as there you are actually seeing something that was on the screen.

Evil of the Daleks is probably my favourite DW story of all time, but I won’t be bothering with the animated version. I just hope I’m still alive when/if the real thing turns up!

Shawn likes this.
  24. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

It's been shared online for the last decade or earlier that private collectors "may have" several "wiped OR still Missing" episodes....may any of them eventually turn up to be viewed again some day!

25. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I hope it’s not a race against time like with nitrate film stock.

longdist01 likes this.