Doctor Who General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RubberBallMan, Apr 30, 2020.

1. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Ah, I was mislead by the dialogue from the head of UNIT who explained that antimatter could be slowed by matter, and that throwing a bunch of matter at the Fluxx would slow it. Unlike all the other matter in the universe. That exposition could have been deleted since it was irrelevant.

2. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

You mean it isn't??

3. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

[​IMG]

Thoroughly enjoyed the New Year's Day episode. Do like me some 'Sliding Doors'/'Groundhog Day' scripts - whatever the genre.

Aisling Bea's character was superb. Stole the show. Sardonic, funny, dead-pan. She had the best lines and set-ups. And she did seem progressively genuinely frightened each time she got killed. Great acting.

MikaelaArsenault and sbeck201 like this.
  4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I thought a time loop episode was a cheap send off for Jodie...even if it was well done.

I did enjoy most of Flux!

5. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Be sure to check her out in the Netflix one-off series, Living With Yourself.

Andy Smith likes this.
  6. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

It's not her send off though. Aren't they doing some one offs before the handover, as they did with Tennant.

7. Andy Smith

Yep.
    Some people are just too eager to see the back of her. I'm not one of them.

8. MrCJF

Theoretically Jodie could hang on until the 60th anniversary, given it seems to take two years to broadcast what used to be a single season.

Curveboy likes this.
  9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Well that would be good news as I really enjoy her...

10. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

She has two left: “Legend of the Sea Devils” in spring, and a feature-length finale this autumn.

Curveboy likes this.
  11. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Really enjoyed the New Year’s episode. Way better than the flux stuff. It was fun, compelling and easy to follow instead of being purposely convoluted. If only more episodes were like this. Aisling Bea was great and I would love to see her as a companion.

12. Comicsanstombstone

Comicsanstombstone Forum Resident

That was…alright, which feels like a triumph given the quality of recent episodes. Aisling B was good; she must have improvised some of the dialogue, the jokes actually landed. The time loop business was handled in an annoyingly inconsistent way (sometimes characters started the loop at a location consistent with where they were at that time in the original loop, sometimes they didn’t; the business of whether dying before the next loop was due to start meant you’d stay dead - one of the better ideas in the script - was fudged, as later on this didn’t seem to matter). I suspect that if I watched Heaven Sent again, this episode would seem comparatively cackhanded in how it develops its central premise.

13. MrCJF

14. MrCJF

I suspect the Flux would benefit from a second viewing now it's finished. The whole episode one set up had way too much to do for the storyline to come. But I'm not sure I want to dedicate that much of my life to finding out!

I really enjoyed the new year episode despite the inconsistency. It's a good example of the great self contained episodes of the past. Aisling Bea, is of course, a great comic actress.

15. Second. No. Once was enough. Shunt it into a bottle universe and forget about it.

16. indigovic

“Legend of the Sea Devils” has a confirmed broadcast date of Sunday, April 17.
    (Jodie’s feature-length finale airs sometime in Autumn.)

17. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

Don’t recall anyone saying it’s feature-length.

18. indigovic

Straight from the BBC website: “Jodie Whittaker’s final feature-length special will transmit in autumn 2022 as part of the BBC’s Centenary celebrations.”

'Legend of the Sea Devils' set to air on Easter Sunday

19. indigovic

By the way, the actual centenary date is 18 October, so expect the regeneration story that week, if not that day.

20. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

OK...... Legend of the Sea Devils...

Well, the rumour on the DrWho forums is that the episode was shot as 70 minutes long, but edited down to 50 minutes...

Which might explain why it seemed so jumpily edited and a bit incoherent...

The first 10 minutes were great,
    Then it devolved into a generic "could be any bad guy / monsters" run-around,
    Then it had an "OMG!" next episode trailer...

Tegan and Ace !!!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  21. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

For me, that was the most exciting part of today's episode.

MikaelaArsenault and Dubmart like this.
  22. Andy Smith

Well.....the 'coming soon' was really unexpected.

23. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Intentionally vague wording:
    I suspect there will be more than two.

MikaelaArsenault and AppleCorp3 like this.
  24. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Quite possibly! I hope so.

25. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I like that the Sea Devils looked like their classic selves. Effects not always perfect but 'twas ever thus, just CGI now where before it was Chromakey/CSO (or dodgy puppets). I think the two things about all modern Who for me, from Eccleston onward, that has been worn thin is the faffing about nervously yakking in the face of some deadline... and usually with last microsecond 'save'. And... the number of deliveries of supposedly humorous zingers often in the midst of impending doom. I think they had both in much lesser doses in the original run, Hartnell to McGann. They say younger people cannot stand anything less than a frenetic pace for 90% of any show, but that with ever moving camera angles is another major difference between old and modern.

So... nice to see the Sea Devils done pretty much as well as anyone could want; definitely better than their classic 'the actor's head is in the neck version! I'll be looking forward to seeing a former companion (or two?) again if nothing else. Brill!!! :)

MikaelaArsenault and AppleCorp3 like this.