Doctor Who General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RubberBallMan, Apr 30, 2020.

1. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

2. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

That’s a myth. He only said that once.

tkl7 and Shawn like this.
  3. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

You definitely know your stuff and got the late 80's timeframe spot on, that would have been when I was watching (between 85-90).

indigovic likes this.
  4. While I certainly want the best sources for the missing color episodes, in some ways Mind of Evil is one where I prefer it in Black & white. Somehow it seems to suit the story better.

5. Yes, just like in Lost In Space - the Robot only said ‘danger, Will Robinson’ once but it seems people think he said it multiple times.

Duncan Day likes this.
  6. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Mind of Evil #1 is fine.

7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yeah, I first saw many of those Pertwee episodes in B&W, so seeing them in color the first time was kind of jarring. I think they did a great job at restoring them when the DVDs came out. Some of the earlier VHS colorizations were less stellar. I am still somewhat perplexed at why they did not manually finish the colorization of Invasion of the Dinosaurs #1, though.

Curveboy and Shawn like this.
  8. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Well, not quite.

He only said the full 'reverse(d) the polarity of the neutron flow' once during his tenure (Sea Devils), but he said it again in The Five Doctors.

The phrase mentioned upthread is just 'reverse the polarity', and that was definitely said more frequently, counting variants.

All collected here, including a few from later Doctors and a companion:

wondergrape and beccabear67 like this.
  9. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

I expect that might come with the Blu-ray release (whenever that happens).

longdist01, tkl7 and Curveboy like this.
  10. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I've been getting into Doctor Who the last few years (never saw it as a kid, we lived in rural Canada and literally had 3 channels). I first watched Tomb of the Cyber an on Netflix and was pretty blown away by how good it was. I'm not a sci-fi fan typically, in fact I find most "science fiction" tv/film is only about the future or set in space, and are typically just action movies or TV dramas that have no real excitement to them.

I read about the history of the show, and about the missing episodes, and started to watch random stories from the classic years.

Because I am a collector by nature, I've been buying the Complete Seasons on Blu Ray. Clearly, it will take a while to release everything, and who knows when the B&W seasons might come out, but I'm excited to maybe one day have a complete collection.

I missed out on the Colin Baker set, and now it's seems OOP (the standard NA release, not the limited edition UK one). Was this one a low seller (not the most popular Doctor), and had low print runs? I'm curious to see if the prices come down soon.

Shawn likes this.
  11. indigovic

This one? https://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Colin-Baker-Blu-ray/dp/B07TNVWMQP/ It’s in stock at Amazon, and even below list price.

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This has been making the rounds lately. It's a piece on Delia Derbyshire, and the early days of electronic music:

The Dr. Who theme was very much a part of familiarizing a whole swath of the population with a new way of composition and performance.

There's also a full-blown doc called Sisters With Transistors, just out or pending, that covers how women contributed to the craft, and the art.

longdist01 and beccabear67 like this.
  13. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Just fantasizing who I would wish had made another season, I think Troughton made one come-back too many going by The Two Doctors with Colin Baker. A lot of them that are around still would look too much different from when they were the Doctor to just pick up where they left off in any case (not much of an issue with the Big Finish audio expansions though).

KKlak! :)

Shawn likes this.
  14. beccabear67

Jon Pertwee's "reverse the polarity" score = 6 :cool:

15. Duncan Day

This has changed over the years. It used to be “Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow” that was supposedly the 3rd Doctors catchphrase. A few of the Doctors have used the three word option.

16. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

17. indigovic

I’ve heard good things about a recent show called “Delia Derbyshire: The Myths and the Legendary Tapes” as well.

longdist01 and Dillydipper like this.
  18. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

At the rate the BBC home video division works, the blu ray sets may be complete by 2040.

Shawn likes this.
  19. [​IMG]

beccabear67 likes this.
  20. Duncan Day

I watched Underworld earlier and really enjoyed it ! Sure, there’s plenty wrong, but considering what the production team had to battle with (No money and CSO set to stun) I think it turned out ok and can certainly think of worse. There’s some nice scenes between 4 & Leela, and I like that they spend most of the story together and not separated like in most other stories. Episode one is very good, with some nice model work, and the premise of the adventure is interesting: a race of humanoids that the Time Lords screwed up with their “interference “ searching for the future of their race. James Maxwell is good as the weary Jackson, and I like Alan Lakes fiery Herrick. Unfortunately the other two Minyans are faceless and don’t contribute much at all. Back in the day some of the newspapers ran a story that Imogen Bickford- Smith would be the new companion, replacing Leela. Based on her performance in Underworld let’s be grateful that never happened!
    The remaining episodes are fun if you can overlook the crazy caves and wobbly editing. Tom and Louise hold it all together and K9 provides the light relief. I always smile when the Seers reveal their Minion-esque heads at the end of episode 3. I’m surprised Herrick didn’t crack up laughing :)
    I did find it odd that we had the characters Idas and Idmon for episodes 2 and 3, and a bit of 4, then they vanished! Even when the Doctor herds all the Troggs onto the R1C at the end there’s no sign of them, which is peculiar seeing as they are the two Troggs we have got to know. Maybe the actors weren’t on set that day ?
    Anyway, I enjoyed it. Sometimes I like re-visiting the stories that there isn’t much love for. You never know what you might find. The Quest Is The Quest, after all :)

21. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Well, I'm giving it a go. Let my free BritBox trial slip into regular subscription mode and wanted to start a good series from the start. MANY contemporary series featured don't go back to the original. The exception is Who. So, here I go...

22. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Anybody out there who was around in the mid-70s and watched the Pertwee DR WHOs in the US, when barely any Yanks knew what Dr Who was?

Shawn likes this.
  23. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

24. I did, via WTTW.

25. beccabear67

Shawn likes this.