Does anybody else enjoy Magical Mystery Tour more than Sgt. Pepper?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Penny24, Oct 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I enjoy them both. As others have noticed, the singles collected on MMT represent some of their best work during that era, stuff that's just jaw-droppingly great. The actual show songs are good -- I particularly have always liked The Fool on the Hill -- but not quite up to the level of Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, or much of Pepper.

joy stinson likes this.
  2. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

No.

JDeanB likes this.
  3. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Flying and Blue Jay Way beats 64 and Good Morning, Good Morning? Uhh....no. The two MMT cuts are probably the weakest in the whole Beatle catalogue.

JDeanB, docwebb and Gila like this.
  4. El Nuevo Rich-o

El Nuevo Rich-o Forum Resident

I just checked, there are more songs that I like on MMT for what that's worth. If Strawberry Fields and I Am the Walrus were on Sgt Pepper instead of say When I'm 64 & She's Leaving Home it would have justified all the hype it received at the time and since.

5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It is true, Sgt. Pepper enjoys MMT more than anybody else.

AveryKG and Geordiepete like this.
  6. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

More

veloso2 likes this.
  7. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I do, and MMT has no clangers like When I’m 64.

veloso2 likes this.
  8. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

MMT is a compilation album, in my opinion, a collection of singles and an EP. I think SFF and PL belong on Sgt Pepper. I've soured on She's Leaving Home in recent years and have started skipping it. I think I enjoy MMT more that Sgt. Pepper now.

9. JoeOnWheels

JoeOnWheels Forum Resident

Magical 3, Pepper 2
    I listen to 3 songs on MMT (Walrus, Strawberry, Penny), 2 from Pepper (Friends, Day in the Life); listen to the entire albums every 2 or 3 years.

10. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Liked it as a kid, then soured on it, then loved it when I saw Paul play it live. With the giant MMT film clip behind him.

In fact, it rubbed off on Let Em In a little later, whose reminiscent piano gave the song a trippy MMT hue I hadn't perceived before.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  11. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I understand why they're regarded as such, but I still favor them over the two Sgt. Pepper songs mentioned above. To each its own.

Floatupstream likes this.
  12. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

13. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

I think you cannot really compare both. "Magical Mystery Tour" was an EP that was released as a compilation album in the US with different running order (and much later in other parts of the world). So the reason why "Magical Mystery Tour" may be considered stronger by some, is that it was comprised by that EP and several strong number one singles. Not really a fair comparison, as Pepper didn't contain any singles on purpose. It would be similar to compare "Elvis Golden Records Vol 3" with "Elvis Is Back" - not really a fair comparison.

stefjnl likes this.
  14. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

'Magical Mystery Tour' is a better compilation
    I agree that it's a compilation album but this seems to be a contentious issue with those who don't think it is.

edrebber likes this.
  15. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

I kind of think of them these days as one giant double album.... imagine a double vinyl album with
    side one- side a of pepper
    side two- side a of mmt
    side three- side b of mmt
    side four- side b of pepper.

maybe, since mmt's running time is a bit short, add 'only a northern song' and 'its all too much' in there somehow? (both of which were mostly recorded in '67, i think, right?) (someone will know that here!)

16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Yes, I like it a little better.

[​IMG]

DrJ and Gumboo like this.
  17. Punman

Punman Forum Resident

If I were to give a score out of five for each song on each album and then divide the totals by the number of songs on each album to get an average; Magical Mystery Tour would come out a mere decimal ahead. But when I look at the albums as a whole, I like the feel of Sgt. Pepper as an album to listen to all the way through, so I guess for me it is pretty much a draw.

18. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

I think both albums have their weak moments. But I prefer MMT because it seems less self-assured. They seem to be trying new ideas and pushing themselves, whereas Pepper, to me, sounds complacent and a bit smug. MMT is more like Help!, pushing into new territory. Pepper certainly sounded new, but to me it sounds calculated, kind of cold-blooded. Just my 2 cents.

Library Eye likes this.
  19. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Here's some George songwriting:

DrJ likes this.
  20. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

They're pretty much on equal footing with me, but for different reasons. They help define 1967. I always play them back-to-back; I like the synergy. Just like playing Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell and his Bat Out Of Hell II back-to-back .

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    JosepZ likes this.
  21. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Track for track, its a better collection of songs, but it doesn’t come close to being the complete work that Pepper is. The only other problem is that it doesn’t rock at all, to the extent that’s important.

DrJ and JosepZ like this.
  23. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Back in the day I owned MMT before SP.
    I probably listen to it more than Pepper.
    In the grand scheme of things though SP is a more important album. MMT has a weirder vibe about it. Side 1 anyway. It's real close for me. Two different kinds of albums really.

JosepZ likes this.
  24. Talmi K

Talmi K Forum Resident

Yes I do.

25. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Thanks for that, cool! And yet another great example of a George upbeat accented melody!

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.