Does Anyone Have an Opinion on UK CD label BGO Records?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bigpink68, Nov 8, 2012.

1. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

For real. But it was released on its own later.

ispace likes this.
  2. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Never even heard these. Given his work with Firefall and TFBB, I probably should.

melstapler likes this.
  3. They are really good. I don't know how they compare to the GoDisc release of the same twofer but this one sounds quite nice.

melstapler likes this.
  4. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

Anyone have any opinion on the sound quality on their Tom Rush CD twofers, specifically "Tom Rush" and "Wrong End of the Rainbow"?

5. Ivan Aaron

Ivan Aaron What Sells ≠ What Streams

I ordered four CD’s from them a couple of months ago. One was out of stock so they e-mailed me the next day and asked if I wanted to pick another disc instead, which is what I did. So yes, they are still open for business.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  6. That’s an old post. I’ve ordered from them since I posed the question. Thank you for the reply though. :tiphat:

Ivan Aaron likes this.
  7. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Tried to find a copy of the Charlie Rich 4 album collection disc......
    Geez! It's almost like it never existed.
    Long OOP, and no copies on eBay.
    Only came out in 2016.
    Feelin' Grumpy!

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I’m checked Discogs and none for sale. Have you tried contacting BGO? They might be able to help. They answer in a timely manner

Jarleboy and Rick Bartlett like this.
  9. Rick Bartlett

Nah I didn't, I just googled their site, even there.......it's not even mentioned or claimed to have existed.
    Darn it! haha

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

About 20 years ago I was in London and went A-Z at Tower Records to see what "imports" I might want. I stumbled on Maddy Prior's "Woman in the Wings" CD (from 1978) which was produced by Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson and featured most of the band scattered across all the tracks. I don't believe it ever had a US domestic release on vinyl (and it certainly didn't have a US CD release). It was a BGO and the sound was/is fantastic. The booklet was nicely done, complete with lyrics. Still a favorite.

tootull likes this.
  11. Jarleboy and Rick Bartlett like this.
  12. Rick Bartlett

13. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I have all the Atlanta Rhythm Section and most of the Poco and New Riders Of The Puple Sage titles. I think they all sound fine. I can't think off hand which others I have but they all sound good as well. The only one I have that sounded kind of iffy was Johnny Rivers-"A Touch Of Gold/Wild Night". Don't know how "Touch Of Gold" sounded originally (I never owned it before) but I'm guessing the mastertape used wasn't in the greatest of shape. They have been releasing some great stuff.

Shvartze Shabbos and TGH7 like this.
  14. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I have one and it sounded fine to me. However I have never heard another version either so I can't really compare.

15. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I like this one too. My biggest complaint with BGO is John Tobler's lame liner notes. I mean really. Quoting Wikipedia multiple times? Way to research things.

goodiesguy, sonnyrock and carlwm like this.
  16. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I've noticed this as well. I had been meaning to get the Johnny Rivers ones and never got around to it. Most look like they are now out of print.

melstapler likes this.
  17. I only have their 2 CD set featuring Nicolette Larson's first 3 albums. It sounds very nice, especially for a modern reissue and there's some great liner notes.

wayneklein, AlmanacZinger and ispace like this.
  18. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I have a few "PUB ROCK" 2-FERS... DUCKS DELUXE... BRINSLEY SCHWARTZ C.D 'S....I love BGO!

19. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

If you're referring to the Ian Matthews Later That Same Year CD, find the Line version and compare it. You will find that BGO's CD does not sound fine. At all.

20. hammondjake

hammondjake Forum Resident

I can highly recommend the BGO 2CD sets of Ian Carr/Nucleus, proudly AAD and sounding deep and creamy.

I also have Bobby Blue Bland - His California Album on BGO-cut vinyl - a superb pressing.

21. I haven’t heard that version. Perhaps the source provided wasn’t optimal. I have the lime for this title. The other BGO sounds very good.

22. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

No, I was talking about the Ike + Tina Turner ones.

23. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. Those Johnny Rivers CDs are excellent and BGO needs to bring his albums such as "Homegrown" and "At The Whiskey A Go Go" back in print since so much of his catalog is currently available from them.

24. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

JOHNNY RIVERS deserves A TURTLES styled c.d. "COMPLETE box set and "SINGLES A/B SIDES" Release!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  25. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

What a great idea, that would be incredible!

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.