Does anyone know who sang the theme song for the Sid & Marty Krofft show Lidsville?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiodrome, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

The 1971 Sid & Marty Krofft show Lidsville has probably the most bizarre and also possibly the longest TV theme of all time but I've always loved it! I don't think it's actually been on television since it originally aired in the early '70s but I've never forgotten it. I finally have a copy of the theme that I dubbed from the DVD (I don't think it was ever included on a TV theme compilation CD) but I've always wondered who sang it. The credits mention Charles Fox as the music supervisor (his TV music is the greatest) but it doesn't mention the vocalist. It kind of sounds like Ron Dante to me but if not, it's probably one of the other big studio session singers from that era: Ron Hicklin, Stan Farber or one of the Bahler brothers. Does anyone know for sure?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    ampmods and Sill Nyro like this.
  2. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident

I don't know for sure (re yr question).

But I do know that LIDSVILLE was the trippiest Saturday Morning Show in my 1970s youth. It was like ALICE IN WONDERLAND in concept, but updated. I don't remember any plot, but I remember that song and the title sequence and the world of the show. And it had competition for trippiest 1970s, like the very dopey (like the song "Windy") SCOOBY DOO and it had to be heard about the genius din of SCHOOLHOUSE ROCK (goodness just think of "Conjunction Junction")...

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  3. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Was the Multiplication Rock album on Capitol the only Schoolhouse Rock record released?

[​IMG]

There are also a bunch of full episodes of Lidsville up on YouTube.Billie Hayes and Charles Nelson Reilly are great in this show.

Sid and Marty Krofft wrote the theme song as far as I know.There may even be a 45 of it out there.

DarkAudit likes this.
  4. audiodrome

How's that for a topper!

[​IMG]

EasterEverywhere and DarkAudit like this.
  5. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

There was a video release of "The World Of Sid & Marty Krofft" back in the 90s. There was a promo CD released at the same time, with just about every theme song from their shows on it, Lidsville included. Kind of tough to find, but if you need all 1:51 seconds of that theme song, there it is, lol....and you know that Dreamworks is supposedly working on an animated movie of Lidsville..

6. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

It always sounded like one of the Osmonds to me...Jay or Alan but I am probably wrong.

7. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes - until the 1990s CDs, anyway.

8. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

The music credits list Les Szarvas and Sid Krofft, so I'd imagine Les Szarvas sang it. (Or knows who did!)

9. TServo2049

TServo2049 New Member

I've wondered about this for a time. I sometimes correspond with John Bahler on Facebook, and I sent him the theme - his response was that "the solo was definitely me." He also mentioned Ron Hicklin and Gene Morford as being in the vocal group (but didn't think Tom was involved).

TheVillageRecorder likes this.
  10. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

The craziest kids show for sure. A favorite of mine.

11. audiodrome

Wow thanks for that info - I will have to listen to it again tonight. Right now as I'm hearing in my head I think it could be him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.