Does anyone remember frazier speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by davmar77, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Here in Athens, TN a pair of mini-midgets do control room monitor duty at WYGO 99.5 FM's combo control/production room. They sound reasonably fine in that room for that application. They're powered by a Crown D 75 amplifier.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

They were real rockin' party speakers, but I could never deal with the piezo tweeters. In that vein I always preferred Klispch, Altec, and JBL, and those Speakerlab horn kits sounded better to me. In some ways I lusted after those speakers but I knew I couldn't live with them, so I stuck with AR, ADS and the more refined but less immediate sound.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. marleynem

marleynem New Member

Black Boxes for Sid & Co. underscore what's gone

I bought a pair of Frazier Black Box I's at Audio By Zimet in '72 and still have 'em hooked up. Zimet became a hangout for me and my bff in 1971-1972. Their lead salesman, Joshua Cohen, became a great friend as well. (Does anyone remember Josh?) It's something how I just became enamored of the movie Empire Records - which brings it all back. I had really wanted the Black Box IV's - super crisp, efficient, *** kicking, but too expensive. Back then I found the big Advent, Dynaco's and JBL's close (but lesser) competition. Today, Quadra's rule (from the 10 upwards) - and are also PA speakers. So glad to find this forum :goodie:, but devastated to read about Sid and his wife's demise. :shake:

4. jim parker

jim parker New Member

Frazier oldies

Had a set of minis in my old 77' honda and a set of 2 way in the house in 78' Bought at a local shop in Goldsboro N.C. but are long gone

5. dlennex

dlennex New Member

Frazier Speakers

I bought a pair of Frazier 7 System speakers in 1979 when I re-enlisted in the Navy. I have never heard a better set of speakers since. I bought them in Charleston SC. About a year after i bought them, I came home one night with the sick feeling when I saw my front door open. My stereo and Fraziers were gone. Would love to have another set. If you still have similar speakers, I know why! Enjoy.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Bulldog Berry

Bulldog Berry Well-Known Member

I used to own a pair of Frazier Speakers. I purchased mine new back in 1968 from an audio store located at The Quadrangle, on 2828 Routh Street in Dallas, Texas.
    This was my first stereo system, it included a Kenwood Stereo Receiver and a Dual Turntable.
    Later on I added a Sony 8-Track recorder\player and a TEAC cassette deck.
    The Frazier's were great, sadly I ended up selling them in 1990 as I was moving out of state and in the process of downsizing for the move!
    As a note: In 1980 I brought my Frazier Speakers to the Frazier Factory to purchase some new grill cloth and have them checked out to see if they required any repairs.
    The speakers checked out A-1 with no problems what so ever.
    I remember the individual helping me, also introduced me to Mr. Frazier himself, as he was at the Factory that day.
    I remember how proud and happy Mr. Frazier was over my speakers and that I was the original owner!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. EJH3

EJH3 New Member

I also bought my Frazier Super Monte Carlos (from ??, Someone had ordered the Fraziers & paid 50% then never picked them up, after 120 days I paid the other 50% & took them home) new in Charleston, SC o go with my new Advent 300 Receiver (from Read Brothers Stereo, still in operation, a great quality stereo place). I still have both the 300 & the Fraziers. I now live in Saipan but come to Charleston for 90 to 120 days every few years.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have a pair of Frazier Dixielanders, they sound very nice.

logos47 likes this.
  9. Cynthia becker

Cynthia becker New Member

Have a pair of Frazier Buckaroos. Got them in exchange for bookkeeping at "Munchkins &Babycakes in Canandaigua NY back around '69. Still sound great but may want to put them back on my old amp. Didn't realize the amp could make a real difference.

10. Chef Henry

Chef Henry Forum Resident

On November 22, 1963, I was a salesman at Lowell Gibb's Magnetic Recording Company in Paterson, New Jersey. Magnetic was among the premier audio retailers in the United States, and one of a handful of places where you could see and hear a James B. Lansing Paragon Ranger in the flesh.

Around that time, a young, rosy-cheeked Bob Frazier came into the store schlepping a pair of the black boxes as described by the O. P. At the time, nothing came even close for the price, and we went on to sell quite a few of them.

Bob sent me to a record store on Eighth Street in Greenwich Village to hear a pair of his more deluxe offerings, consisting of a fifteen-inch woofer in a large black back-loaded horn enclosure, with a wood high frequency horn sitting on top. The store owner put on a new Deutsche Grammophon recording of a fresh-faced Sviatoslav Richter Playing Tchaikovsky's First Piano Concerto. It was a jaw-dropping experience on every level.

craigh likes this.
  11. logos47

logos47 Forum Resident

Just had to chip in to this long-lived discussion. I first heard Artur Rubinstein playing Chopin's noctournes through a pair of Frazier Black Box I speakers at my NYC band's singer's apartment in 1974. She had a Dynaco amp and receiver along with an Elac turntable--all from Roslyn's Sid Zimet. Needless to say, I married her--and yes, the Fraziers are still around!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.