Does Anyone Remember The Band BADLANDS ( Jake E. Lee)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Natvecal., Jul 20, 2017.

1. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Better spin those first three LA Guns discs while your at it :love:

2. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING Thread Starter

Curious. Why you disagree. Only asking .Not challenging here. Saw Jeff play with them in '91(/) thought he was great drummer did a great drum solo IMHO. That said, I did not see them live with Eric Singer.First album is stronger than 2ND no doubt. I believe more on material than drummers? Just curious here....Maybe I'm reading this all wrong?

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I just have a strong affinity for the first album. There’s not a thing wrong with Jeff Martin or the material on the 2nd, but I’m the kind of person that gets attached to an album and it becomes very difficult for me to like something else better.

southamorican and Natvecal. like this.
  4. Natvecal.

gotcha.can totally agree with that.S/T is a winner.Struck all the right notes in me for what I wanted/needed at the time. Just didn't know if there was something I wasn't aware of with Singer vs Martin that might interest me other than opinions here. FWIW-As to Blue Murder being brought up in the previous posts, the only common reason they stay high on my list would be the "underrated factor". Other than that, I dig both for way different reasons (as a guitarist/song writer in the day)and one better than the other?Equal? Don't really care just dig them for the strong points I get from each of them if that makes sense?That said,For going against the grain(bucking the trend) of the times Badlands gets the nod for sure IMHO.At the end of the day....both very underrated guitarists in my book.:righton:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Why not? They did Fire And Rain by JT...

6. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

Jake is the man. That is all...

Grohlfan and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

Just stumbled upon this Eddie Trunk broadcast from the other day regarding the album bans.

violetvinyl, DML71, Deuce66 and 2 others like this.
  8. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

Ray doing covers back in 1982. His vocals are very high pitched!

johnny q, weekendtoy and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I would of given my left nut to be in a cool band like that back in '82

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Natvecal.

Well I listened to the Youtube-Fine Pink Mist. three songs in I pissed I let this go.I was a metal head back then BUT, I always listened to everything. Had the Hellecasters,Eric Johnson,ect...

ARGHHHHHH.......going to EBAY now to get this (again):doh:

I do appreciate you "encouraging" me to check it out on Youtube.Good move:righton:

EDIT; got a used one for the same price I paid for a new one in the late '90s ....$35(the irony):sigh:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    gpalz and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I have the Koch rerelease of the first album and bought it the day it came out. Glad I did as I never knew any of this . I got the 2nd album used years ago cheap

Natvecal. likes this.
  12. Natvecal.

have Dusk yet?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

Glad you changed your mind. Sometimes time can give you a better appreciation/perspective on things. This summer I picked up Come Taste the Band and Long Beach 76. Growing up I wouldn't give it a chance. Now I can see and hear it in a totally different manner and really appreciate that lineup and effort. Just took a few decades for me to get there.

Natvecal. likes this.
  14. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

Seems December 1st is the anniversary of Ray's passing.

I came upon a tribute video today on YT posted a few years back that seems to be from an old friend of his. As I was reading through the comments, one stood out from 11 months ago. It was from a women who remembered the old friend. It seems the woman was Rays "best friend, partner in life and fiancé". It was a touching re-connection with the old friend and emotional remembrance of Ray.

Check out the link below. The post is at the top.

EDIT: cant figure out how to post the url without it embedding the video

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    southamorican and Natvecal. like this.
  15. Natvecal.

Poor Tommy Bolin.Got such a bad rap from Blackmore fans.You're right.Time does some "altering" of one's long held opinion& I thank you again!:thumbsup:

16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I do not but I do check ebay for a decent priced copy every so often . I also need the 2nd blue murder album

17. Natvecal.

also check "Used" Dusk CD on amazon. Once in awhile I've found luck there over Ebay prices. that said,Ebay is more consistent with "better" prices. FYI & IMHO 2ND Blue Murder does not live up the the Debut.Bought when available (mid '90s?) and was a bit ....eh. Has different (if,I recall correctly) Drummer & Bassist? Tony F. may have been on a track or two? More stripped down sound/production too(I think?) which is not a bad thing,just not the same sonics you hear on debut if that's what one expects. Songs simpler and the occasional ,"hey, I think I've heard that solo part/rhythm riff before..." More R&R-ish than harder rock(like Ptolemy my favorite song from debut) Maybe would think differently today like A Fine Pink Mist?Just didn't "Wow" me at the time .Was an Import too(probably around $35 as well & didn't help console my first impressions either)Don't know....:shrug:
    you make think otherwise though good luck on the search.:righton:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Jeff72

Jeff72 Active Member

I figured I would ask everyone on this thread if they happen to know if these are legit releases or very well done bootlegs?

Badlands-Badlands Cd (1989)+Voodoo Highway Cd (1991) Two separate CD's | eBay

I am very tempted to buy these for the price but at the same time, it seems a bit suspect to me that this seller would have sold many copies of both of these albums and all of them were "new and sealed".

Just curious if anyone has bought these from this seller and whether anyone has determined if these are legit releases or not. :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I haven't bought anything from this particular seller, but based on the photos, they look exactly like my original CDs.

Matthew Tate and Natvecal. like this.
  20. Jeff72

Jeff72 Active Member

Thanks for the response Jason. I thought they looked like originals too but it still seems odd to me that someone would have a huge stash of both CDs still in shrink wrap when these have been out of print for so many years.

Doesn't that strike you as odd too?

JasonA and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Natvecal.

Read the feedback 4Negs 5Neut. some pirated CDs (like AC/DC greatest hits 2CD)Artwork LOOKS like it's pirated/homemade though. Not the Badlands CD shown. Maybe this is "Dead" stock left in back of a small independent Record shop? Would think big chain stores would comply and return product if Atlantic "recalled it" or something?So, never returned to Atlantic. Store closes. sells off inventory or has a storage unit full of inventory for decades and decides recently to sell off/liquidate? Would explain the batch (sold 84 & 9 available) this seller has? Have experienced this with some cool '60s/'70s posters/black-light posters still SEALED(EBAY) NOS as they call it(NEW-OLD-STOCK) If this was from China/Russia/ect...I'd say stay away no matter how real it looks. I think it's worth a shot?

Agree.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    JasonA and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Whenever in doubt go to Discogs and check where and at what price the same title gets offered. This list should tell you everything:

Badlands (2) - Badlands (CDs) For Sale at Discogs Marketplace

Natvecal. and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Jeff72

Jeff72 Active Member

I use Discogs all the time but I am confused as to what this list is supposed to tell me other than they are being offered for sale all over the world ranging from cheap to very expensive.

24. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

They appear similar to mine as well. Only difference I can see is the first Badlands CD is made in Germany vs USA.

Matthew Tate and Natvecal. like this.
  25. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

If a supposedly long out-of-print hard-to-find sought-after CD makes a strong re-appearance in Russia, Belarus and Turkey, it is a clear indicator that the abundant modestly-priced stock found on eBay may come from the same part of the world.

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.