Does Anyone Remember The Band BADLANDS ( Jake E. Lee)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Natvecal., Jul 20, 2017.

1. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

2. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I agree with the others, it could be that somebody found a box of NOS CDs. And the price is reasonable. If the price were crazy too-good-to-be-true low, I'd be more suspicious. I'd take a chance on it, as you can always return per eBay policy if they turn out to be bunk.

Here's to hoping that same seller finds an old box of both Badlands albums on vinyl...now THOSE are hard to find.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Check his other items for sale, lots of bootlegs for sale ex: AC/DC Greatest Hits??!! I would be highly suspect of anyone selling a high volume of sealed like new CD's that are almost 20-30 years old.

Jeff72 and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

Sounds like they're probably boots. However, cutouts of both albums were in every cheap bin the world in the '90s, so it's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that there's a stash of them somewhere, since it certainly seems as though they were over-pressed at the time.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Faster Pussycat Whipped is a GREAT album!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Jake E Lee's Red Dragon Cartel - "Bitter"

7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Red Dragon Cartel - "Havana" (Official Music Video)

Purple and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Since the band and/or the label are unwilling to reissue these discs and the used market seems high, this is a rare case where I would probably consider a boot.

Jeff72 and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

[​IMG]

Natvecal. and Curveboy like this.
  10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yes, Trunk has referred to that scenario (claims he has been told by people associated with the labels that licensed the albums for reissue from Atlantic), but it seems odd. Unless Gillen was the sole owner of the recordings and albums, he could not legally bind the albums in such a manner, thereby preventing the other rights holders from receiving their entitled benefits to the albums and recordings. Furthermore, if there were lawsuits from alleged victims, one would think that the alleged victims would have fought to receive a share of any or all of Gillen's royalties from the albums in question as part of their damages, rather than simply forcing the albums out of print. However, Atlantic likely controls the albums, and it may be that it was Atlantic entered into a legal agreement with the victims.

zphage likes this.
  11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

That's it right there, they own the masters. Those two albums will never see the light of day again.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I blame Sharon
    :D

Matthew Tate, JasonA and Deuce66 like this.
  13. As I said above, there has to be more to this story as I just don't see any scenario where a band's albums were taken off the market because the singer infected some people with AIDS. It doesn't make any sense. The only thing I could think of would be that there was a legal ruling that somehow implicated Atlantic's profits (such as they may be) from sales or licensing, and they put the kibosh on the albums so they wouldn't have to deal with it.

zphage, Natvecal., Deuce66 and 2 others like this.
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I think it was an out of court settlement, I can't blame Atlantic they probably wanted to mitigate their costs and make this go away asap. I'm pretty sure they lost a few bucks on Badlands well before this came to light.

15. Jeff72

Jeff72 Active Member

Duly noted. Thanks for the clarification Jae.

16. Jeff72

Jeff72 Active Member

I was kind of thinking along the same lines but at the same time, I wonder what the sound quality would be like if these were indeed bootlegs.

17. Jeff72

Jeff72 Active Member

Some of you on this thread might be interested in listening to this. It was posted a few days ago.

Curveboy likes this.
  18. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Gplaz posted this last Saturday!

Seems to re-enforce the unpleasant rumours though.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Badlands (2) - Whiskey Dust

I just got this Whiskey Dust 4-track promo 12" EP, imported from the UK. Considering the prices Voodoo Highway vinyl pressings go for, this was a steal for less than $10. 4 songs in 45RPM = audio bliss.

Jeff72, Matthew Tate and violetvinyl like this.
  20. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Curveboy and weekendtoy like this.
  21. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Since I've been in Badlands mood, I have also been exploring my collection to scratch that bluesy hard rock itch.

If you are a big fan of the original Badlands album then I highly recommend the following albums:

- "Brother" by Cry of Love (1993), a mix of hard rock, southern rock and the band Free

- "Head Down" and "Hollow Bones" (2012 & 2016) by Rival Sons who channels lots of 70s bluesy rockness that Badlands also did

jay.dee, Jeff72, JasonA and 2 others like this.
  22. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Saw them live a bunch a times!
    They really were a cut above the rest of the bands of that era.

23. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Jake is featured in a real cool new issue of Guitar Player mag. Nice article. He seems to be in guitar mags lately. Cool player. Wish i could find those Badlands cds at a reasonable price. I have a feeling this may happen soon with the press angle shining a light.....

24. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

25. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING Thread Starter