Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

There are still programs forthcoming to Blu-Ray soon in this upgrade to 4K (UHD) format... tv and movies [Monty Python Flying Circus, and others]

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Bought season 4 of Fear the Walking Dead, hate buying new, why ? $$$. Luckily for me this was pretty good.

3. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Hoping to find Down Periscope on DVD for a reasonable price.

4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Odd, the region 2 disc is still available and cheap on Amazon.

5. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I need a region free player, apparently. The region 1 disc is $38.99 on Amazon. I don't want it that much.

6. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Weather permitting, in the next day or so, I hope to get to Walmart to pick up season 14 of "Gunsmoke"... The thing I don't like about the "Gunsmoke" releases is that they release them in two volumes instead of one complete season in one set...

Tony Glass and alexpop like this.
  7. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

No I have sold and given away my dvd's
    I'm all blu ray now

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think it all depends on your set up. There are lots of videophiles here just like audiophiles, and asking some people if they collect DVDs is like asking some people if they still listen to cassettes. Plenty of people do play cassettes who have decks and aren't powering them into heavy hitter systems. If you haven't graduated to a jumbotron and have a 32 or 42" set, I don't see why DVDs should be abandoned for those people? I recently went to a small place, the 60" set is in storage and the 32" Sony is back in play and I started picking up used DVDs again because they good enough for a 32" set.

alexpop, Grand_Ennui and brownie61 like this.
  9. alexpop

Blu
    I use the thin amyrays less space. Buy bulk.

10. alexpop

7 shops for buying dvds /Blu Rays have closed down in the past 3 years. Looks like I’ll have to succumb to Netflix sooner or later.

11. alexpop

That was my intention in 2013, after trading in dvds for new BD titles, but I found other films i liked subsequently weren’t available in Blu Ray so i had to seek/buy the dvds I sold back again.

12. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Yes although I prefer Blu-rays now since the past year, usually (some are quite poor-looking, worse than their DVD counterparts; this is rare though).
    I still buy some DVDs. Recent ones I've bought have been Bang The Drum Slowly, the Joan Jett movie Bad Reputation (God, THAT one needed a Blu-ray release),
    and The Wild Life (from Amazon; excellent looking; the only DVD - actually, DVD-R - that's over 9 GBs!).
    I've tried in the last couple weeks to watch a couple movies on TCM in HD, A Patch Of Blue and The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, and the DVD are vastly better looking that the "HD" versions I saw.

But I do wish that Paramount would get their head out of.....and release classic movies (and TV shows they own) on Blu-ray.
    Still no Roman Holiday, etc - the list goes on forever.

alexpop likes this.
  13. Jimmy B.

I just quit Netflix tonight.
    I wish I could get a 3/4s retroactive refund for this last payment.
    I NEVER want to do business with them again. **** them!

alexpop likes this.
  14. alexpop

I see a couple of new films a month. If I'm finding it difficult purchasing DVDs etc ( shops awol) I sure will miss my movie fix. Netflix, poor quality ?

15. alexpop

Have DVD of Roman Holiday, I'm sure that film give birth to the Mod/Quadraphenia - Who ~ Vespa scooter culture.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  16. Jimmy B.

No I wouldn't say Netflix is poor quality;
    there's just not a lot on there for me.
    There's just the Andy Griffith Show (all seasons) in HD; and occasional movies. I'm just feeling lately it's not worth it to me; I may change my mind.
    I personally need to downgrade my cable package as I find I like to rent the films online that I don't have, rather than watch most free ones, unfortunately. I love TCM, my favorite cable channel.
    (I have around 4 or 5 hundred DVDs - actually, my last purchases I remembered after my post were the Beverly Hillbillies, season 5 [I found out 2 months after it came out] and a vast upgrade of the season 1 version that I had.
    And I've tried Petticoat Junction with great disappointment, and also found all my enthusiasm for Bewitched gone for now after trying season 3 on DVD - only season 1 I really like)
    Anyway and I have around 120-odd Blu-rays now, but I only started in May - I'm late to the whole HD "scene" - I kind of blew it there....wish I had gotten an HDTV years ago...

Yeah earlier I compared the quality of Netflix's L.A. Confidential to my Blu-ray, after cancelling on the phone (had trouble logging in) and was surprised - while it came on at first looking like ****,
    by the time I was off the phone, I'd swear the quality about equaled that of the Blu-ray.
    So really nothing to worry about there. Most movies I've seen on there look fine; as for searching on there for something, it's very difficult. Oh and right as the credits begin it starts to go to some other movie, it doesn't let you see the credits as you should - a minor gripe at best. Or worst, whichever.

17. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Yes I understand that. But I think almost all films I love are on
    Blu ray now.

18. Jimmy B.

Ha ha!
    that's an interesting theory! lol

I love Roman Holiday; possibly my #1 wish for a Blu-Ray release (though I have bought it as a HD purchase via Comcast, so really the missing Andy Griffith seasons 2-5 for me [all after 1 are only on DVD] are my biggest wish;
    but it's Paramount (who stupidly issued the first season at like $80 or something, making it not sell of course), and they've given up on Blu-rays for the most part; the best hope with Paramount is if they license something out.

alexpop likes this.
  19. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I don't recall ever collecting DVD's but I do occasionally purchase one.

20. alexpop

I only interested in new tv dramas. Maybe cheaper option just buying box sets. Not interested in comedy’s. Maybe films new ones I didn’t catch in the cinema. Past five years I’ve accumulated 1000 dvds /400 Blu Rays. I did have a few hundred dvds 2011:2013 but got rid of them to upgrade to Blu Ray.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  21. alexpop

Your lucky then, a surprising amount of ones I like aren’t.

22. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

I still buy any (decent) DVDs of 1930s-50s movies I don't have at thrift stores and estate sales.

Many of these movies are going out of print in any format.

alexpop likes this.
  23. alexpop

Wise purchase move.

24. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

But, the activated codes are still going to work with Vudu, MoviesAnywhere and Fandango

25. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

My latest purchase: "Wild In
    The Country".I know of no
    Elvis movies that need the Blu-
    Ray treatment. My opinion.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.