Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. $1 DVDs are about to show up either this week or next at Dollar Tree locations.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

3 DVD’s for a dollar i seen in a thrift store the other day. Didn’t have time to look, probably the usual suspects ( er familiar title), which i already have. One of the probs of being a collector ( hoarder).

Grand_Ennui and Eric_Generic like this.
  3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Database.

4. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

CrazyCatz and Dave112 like this.
  5. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Angels In The Outfield / Cape Fear / Country Music: A Film By Ken Burns / Gia / It Happens Every Spring / Misery / Supergirl-Season Four /
    The Babe Ruth Story / The Green Berets / The Myth. AITO, CP, IHES & TBRS would be great Criterion treatment candidates (my opinion).
    [​IMG]

6. alexpop

What’s the average dvd collection with forum members here( not including Blu Rays).

1000 titles ?

CrazyCatz and Dave112 like this.
  7. alexpop

Picked up 19 titles ( library/ used) for 1.90. ten cents each. Had to put them in new black cases.

Grand_Ennui, CrazyCatz and Dave112 like this.
  8. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Don't know the average but I would not have near half of that number.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. alexpop

Guess if you live in small abode / flat there’s no incentive to collect anything.

10. All Down The Line

I wouldn't know, I live in a 3 story home and prioritise vinyl & cd's over DVDs but have 400 of those anyhow.
    I also collect books, concert programs, music books, sheet music, magazines, ticket Stubbs, postcards, fanzines and all manner of rock memorabilia!

Back to DVDs: Iam sure there would be truckloads more cheap DVDs being disposed of in the States than Down Under given your levels of production and population!

SandAndGlass, CrazyCatz and alexpop like this.
  11. alexpop

More of a collector than hoarder myself.

12. All Down The Line

1000 DVD's may blur the lines at least in the eye of the beholder.

13. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

For that price, I would have made time to look. :)

That's an excellent price for used DVDs- There's one thrift store in town that charges $1.00 each, a different one that charges $1.50 each, yet another one that charges $2.00 each, and the national chain Goodwill charges $1.99 each for used DVDs... All charge more if they're multi-DVD sets (like full seasons of a TV series, or if it's a special edition release of a movie that has the film and another DVD that is full of extras, etc.)

alexpop and CrazyCatz like this.
  14. Grand_Ennui

I've never seen "Man With a Camera" either (though I've heard of it)- I like Charles Bronson too, so I would take a chance on buying it if I ever see it...

CrazyCatz likes this.
  15. Grand_Ennui

I never took an exact count, but I have roughly 500-525+ DVDs... I say that amount because I have this one shelving unit that holds about 250 DVDs-I had that filled and boxed them up, and in the last 7 months or so, I managed to fill it again, so that's where I come up with my 500 amount... I added the extra 25, just because there are a few stragglers that aren't boxed with the main collection or shelved with the newest editions...

Also, I don't count multi DVD sets individually... For example, a season of "South Park" is 3 DVDs: I just count the season set as one title, I don't count each DVD as a separate disc...

16. Grand_Ennui

Agreed :agree:

Mesozoic Mike, alexpop and CrazyCatz like this.
  17. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I still have many DVDs where either the Blu-ray didn't come out until later or went OOP and is way too expensive now. They do not look bad played over my 42" 1080p Panasonic plasma through my Xbox One S.

CrazyCatz and Grand_Ennui like this.
  18. I have approx. 1000 DVDs and 400 odd BDs.

Contrary to some comments here I do not classify myself as a boarder either. My DVD collection is a curated collection of titles from all ages and areas of world cinema. Not a single title has been enquired accidentally or "on the hoof".

19. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

You might want to watch a movie you like once a year or so, you could listen to a good album on a weekly basis. Not really the same thing.

20. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I'll have to check my collection. I do not remember whether I have Soylent Green or not. Who says science fiction isn't prophetic?

In answer to @alexpop 's question, I have about 450 DVDs and 15 Blu Rays.

All Down The Line and CrazyCatz like this.
  21. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I can't rebuy my concert DVDs on BD; too damned expensive. Plus, the upscaled DVDs look great, not BD great, but good enough. At the time being I only own the one title, one I hadn't gotten on DVD.

22. All Down The Line

Ok so 4 to 5 hundred is sounding average so far.

23. alexpop

Subjective.
    New album, no doubt yes!

24. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  25. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I have over 1000 LD's and over 1100 DVD's. I'm close to hitting 1500 on BD's....including UHD-BD's.

PhantomStranger, SteveM and alexpop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.