Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I didn't realize this thread was specific to DVD's only. It's kind of morphed into a place to call out sales and such, but I don't mean to go off topic or anything. I've just gotten in the habit of posting all things Blu/DVD/4K here. Mea culpa!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  2. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

bonnie and clyde

3. It will, though. At least that's my prediction, until streaming platforms can match UHD quality. They have a long way to. Netflix is sending out 4K at 15mbps, while the spinning disc can top out at 100mbps, but mostly with an average of 75mbps. That's a big gap.

The difficult sell is in the TVs right now, specifically technology-pushers like OLED and beyond.

The issue is that for every top of the line TV sold, there's about 300 lesser, but still modern, TVs sold, so that's part of the trickle-downfor UHD. The other part is the blu ray upscales to 4K so well!

I just see this as a long road where both BD and UHD will run parallel until what's now a top-end OLED begins to ship like the many of the lesser ones.

UHD prices will go down and BDs will be the new DVD.

4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

It won’t. People stream now. They don’t purchase much physical media. And streaming 4K on Roku looks pretty darn good for 99.9 % of the people.

CDV likes this.
  5. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

DVDs will also make a HUGE comeback - like vinyl.

CDs too.

DRJOEL65 and audiomixer like this.
  6. I don't know, man. 495,000 UHD players were sold in the USA, in 2020. That's an estimated $83 million dollars for the players alone, not counting gaming consoles and their overlap into the same demographic who purchase pricier OLEDs, or at least higher end 4K LCD/LED panels.

That said, UHD players sold far less than standard blu ray players, at 2,300,000 players. That's a lot of physical product for a country of 300 million.

I'm not arguing the popularity of streaming and that it will eventually take over. I contend that 99.9% is way too high of a number for people who don't care. Way high.

In the streaming world we wouldn't even be talking about $200 dedicated Apple and Nvidia streamers, if people didn't care about the actual quality of streams. People care. And the youngest generation, now, will continue to care, when their purchasing power increases, because they were born into the internet, where they have to have higher powered juice to keep up with their frantic brains.

7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I don't doubt what you're saying, but the opposite seems to be the case around here where I live: The thrift stores I go to have a high turnover of used DVDs... (Used CDs too, although I know they're not part of the topic of this thread.)

Solaris Morse likes this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

just purchased a few TV shows only on DVD...no other choice if I want to see them...

altaeria, jason88cubs and Grand_Ennui like this.
  9. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

Chinatown and The Manchurian Candidate (1962) .
    £1 each from a charity shop.
    Bargin.

10. The Snout

The Snout Forum Resident

I've been burned twice by Netflix streaming not having what I wanted to see (most recently No Country for Old Men, a 2007 film that played Cannes, is one of the top-performing works by [two] of the few modern creatives with auteur name recognition and one of the highest-grossing Oscar winners [directing, adapted screenplay, Best Actor] ever, holds a 93% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes and, most importantly, was recommended to me by at least two millennial friends; could not get the disc from NF, either), which has poisoned that well for me for the time being. On top of that, I like making video mixes for myself and to share with friends, and for that I've got to have the discs. I will hang on till the last blu-ray is released, then throw in the towel.

11. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Recently acquired 'A Simple Plan' on DVD!

905, jason88cubs and unclefred like this.
  12. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

Couple more charity bargins.

V For Vendetta (haven’t seen this and looking forward to it as I’ve read some good reviews).

The Wrestler

£1.50 for both of them.

jason88cubs likes this.
  13. Grand_Ennui

Picked up a few:

"Flying Leathernecks" with John Wayne
    "Bend of the River" with James Stewart
    "Old West Outlaws"- 20 Western Films (4 DVD set, but it's actually missing one of the DVDs which sucks. So, I have 15 of the 20 films...)

jason88cubs likes this.
  14. Grand_Ennui

I didn't think there was anything wrong with your post.

15. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Ordered The Stone Tape from amazon UK. Classic BBC ghost story from 1972. Except they aren't ghosts they're actually... well anyway it's on youtube but I wanted the commentary with Kim Newman and author Nigel Kneale (Quatermass)

16. Grand_Ennui

Picked up 'Seinfeld' seasons 7 & 8, 'Everybody Loves Raymond' seasons 1 thru 4, and the film 'Escape from New York' yesterday,,,

jason88cubs likes this.
  17. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

I still buy sports and music DVD’s quite often. Many exist only in that format and will never see an upgraded physical release. I do the same with vhs titles also.

Mr Bass, altaeria and Grand_Ennui like this.
  18. jason88cubs

Got Wanted Dead or Alive series

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  19. That's Mr. Foghat

That's Mr. Foghat Forum Resident

Some TV shows....
    Lou Grant, (1977-1982) seasons 1-4 of 5
    Vega$, (1978-1981) entire series
    Crime Story, (1986-1988) entire series

Ms. Daisy likes this.
  20. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Enter the Void

[​IMG]

jason88cubs likes this.
  21. jason88cubs

What you get

Michael likes this.
  22. Michael

Tales From The Darkside Complete Series
    Friday The 13th The Series I already had Season one from the day it was released but I bought the 3 pack it was cheap enough...
    Beverly Hillbillies Season 1 & 5 ...I had those 2 DVD sets but I wanted a straight Season 1 set..

altaeria, EVOLVIST and jason88cubs like this.
  23. Grand_Ennui

I still have to pick up Season 5...

What do you mean by a "straight" Season 1 set? Are you referring to "The Official First Season"? (I know the first season has been made available in a few different variations, those being made available by different entities because it's the season that's available in Public Domain...)

Michael likes this.
  24. Michael

yes, this one...
    [​IMG]

I also have these as well...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grand_Ennui and Rachael Bee like this.
  25. Grand_Ennui

Interesting- I own the first season in the "Official First Season" package as shown in your picture, as well as in a set of four slim, hard plastic DVD cases.. I'd have to dig them out to find out who put them out, but I'm certain they were *not* authorized by the Estate of Paul Henning...

Being authorized by the Henning Estate, does that mean those releases include the actual theme song, and not some generic music overdubbed when the theme should have been?

Michael likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.