Does Anyone Under 30 Know Who CCR Are, Or, For That Fact, Listen To Them?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bvb1123, Jun 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canadian73

canadian73 Forum Resident

My 17 year old son really likes them but my 21 year old son could care less.

california_roll and bvb1123 like this.
  2. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Another question to answer the OP would be: who listens to the radio anymore?

bvb1123 likes this.
  3. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I'm 20 and have all their studio albums besides mardi gras, but will pick it up when I see it for a good price. The CCR studio albums are an essential part of my collection of '66-'72 rock.

bvb1123 likes this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Exposure to bands like these is highly influenced by the region. What plays in one and the frequency of that will be different from another region. In my neck of the woods, very few if any CCR plays. AC/DC, yes. CCR, no.

Most people under 30 I know don't even know who bigger bands than CCR are.

I'll highly disagree with you. Fortunate Son, Suzie-Q, Proud Mary, Have You Ever Seen The Rain, and I Put A Spell On You, just to name a random 4, don't sound at all the same!

ARK and bvb1123 like this.
  5. kvsawilson

kvsawilson Senior Member

My 25 year old son recently asked my opinion of the ultimate American band and said his choice would be CCR.

K

bvb1123 likes this.
  6. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

yes.

bvb1123 likes this.
  7. Chilli

Chilli Pretend Engineer.

I was about to say yes, then I remembered my age.....

bvb1123 likes this.
  8. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I do, there are several shows on one of the local public stations here that are quite good, one is focused on 60s deep cuts and is done by a fellow forum member. There's also a Bob Dylan show I sometimes listen to.

bvb1123 likes this.
  9. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

NPR is still really popular, but for music there are tons of Sirius XM subscribers. That's where the good radio is now.

bvb1123 likes this.
  10. mercuryvenus

To me, Fortunate Son, Bad Moon Rising, and Proud Mary have a very similar driving beat and similar vocal delivery style.

However, given how much Beatles music I listen to, I'm probably spoiled when it comes to expecting diversity of output from a band. :)

bvb1123 likes this.
  11. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Hard to listen to that on my old Kenwood :p. Plus, it ain't free to listen to.

bvb1123 likes this.
  12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

A couple of youngsters down at my local pub singaround bonded over a mutual love of Creedence & The Band and have now formed a duo together.

Which is in strong contrast to me - a couple of decades older - who has never heard anything by them outside of what gets played in the pub. I mean, I still regard Have You Ever Seen The Rain as a Bonnie Tyler song! :)

Have no fear though. The young pups are slowly educating me. :righton:

bvb1123 likes this.
  13. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I'd like to think young people have their own music they like, just as us Boomers had CCR when we were that age.

Hot Ptah and bvb1123 like this.
  14. mercuryvenus

In fact, we like music from our generation AND from others! And that's how I think it should be. :)

ARK, bvb1123 and carlwm like this.
  15. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I work with this guy in his 20s who doesn't even know who Chuck Berry is.. and he's not aware of most of the classic movies I bring up.
    It's weird.
    If it's not on social media, they don't know about it.. and the lack of curiosity is troubling.

Hot Ptah and bvb1123 like this.
  16. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I think that they're a still-popular classic/oldies act. My daughter is turning 30 this summer. When she was home for the summer from college eight or ten years ago, she asked me to play CCR when we were driving. Her friends had turned her on to the group.

bvb1123 likes this.
  17. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Whenever we had a party and the 'kids' are there, CCR is one of the few old bands I can get away with playing. They're late teens, early twenties. Sly & The Family Stone, Zeppelin, Jimi, Tom Petty being others.

bvb1123 likes this.
  18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

That's what I'd like to know.

bvb1123 likes this.
  19. Strat-Mangler

You don't play an instrument, do you? ;)

ARK, tkl7 and bvb1123 like this.
  20. mercuryvenus

I play 4 instruments (piano, guitar, ukulele, and cello) and have done so since I was 5.

I'm not arguing they are identical songs, but they absolutely have a similar sound.

21. Strat-Mangler

Sound and rhythmic structure are two very different things. I agree 100% CCR songs *sound* pretty much the same regardless of album with very few exceptions. Maybe they recorded in the same studio all the time. I think John Fogarty played a major role in the production so that might have something to do with it.

However, they absolutely have different rhythmic structures so the differences are huge. Proud Mary has "chunk-chunk-chuuuuunk, ta-cha-ta, chunk-chunk, chuuuunk" whereas Fortunate Son has a constant pulse with the bass going on every beat and the rhythm guitar going "chuuuunk, chunk-chunk... chuuuunk, chunk-chunk". They couldn't be any more different!

bvb1123 likes this.
  22. Steve Mc

Steve Mc Bangles Encyclopedia

Young gun here and I don't really know too much about them. Another band for me to discover sometime in the future.
    I am familiar with "Born on the Bayou" because The Bangles used to cover it from time to time.

bvb1123 likes this.
  23. mercuryvenus

Alright, but rhythmic variation aside, the arrangements, driving beat, vocal delivery style, etc. are very similar. It's like how Chuck Berry's early songs had rhythmic variation, but they mostly all had a similar sound.

24. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Yes I do, and many of my friends love them too. It’s really more the 70’s hard rock that’s been forgotten here where I live. Bands like Rainbow, or UFO are not well known. Also progressive rock, but then I don’t think they were ever super popular.

bvb1123 likes this.
  25. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

My son just turned 30 so I guess he doesn't count but we used to sing along to "You don't need a pinhead, just to hang around" by CCR. Also "You and me and euphony" by The Turtles.

Jonny W and bvb1123 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.