Does Hazy Shade of Winter by Bangles blow away SimonGarfunkel version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Yup, blows it away. The original is way too precious.

2. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I've listened to the Bangles version more, mainly because I liked the Less Than Zero soundtrack, and the video with the Bangles intercut with scenes from the film.

3. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

At least this is a better debate than the old "Which version of "You Really Got Me" is better".

margaritatoldtom likes this.
  4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

we all are!

googlymoogly likes this.
  5. MiracleAndWonder

MiracleAndWonder Well-Known Member

to be fair, The Bangles version is a quarter century old itself. Its hardly like we're talking about "Does Justin Bieber's Baby blow away John Lennon's Imagine" :ignore:

6. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I suppose it depends on what you like, or are looking for, in the song. Different artists, different era, different interpretation. Both fit their respective ones. The Bangles cover was a perfect fit for a movie dealing with the excess of the 80's, and the dissolution that came with that, where as Simon & Garfunkel's original more suited the times they wrote it in. Perspective plays a great deal in the preference - also including which version you heard first.

7. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Definitely not.

Jackson likes this.
  8. No. Mainly because they pretty my coped the original arrangement except for the into. Why not make it their own? They did not!. But it's nice fluff!.

Jackson likes this.
  9. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Well if you heard The Bangles version first you might think so, but the song was perfect the first time around, so the answer is ABOLUTELY NOT.

10. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

the mono S&G version rox yer sox off, the Bangles is ok but not like the mono....stereo isn't even close, it lacks the power.

Spek likes this.
  11. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Not close, though I do like their cover.

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

It does for me too. Bangles improved that song a hundred-fold.

13. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

I like the Bangles version, but gotta say no.

14. Belsnickel

Belsnickel Forum Resident

Agree - the S&G mono mix has more impact and is definitely definitive!

boyjohn and Spek like this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Why doesn't someone put the mono HIT version of the S&G up so we can hear it and put the Bangles as well. Let's compare. Been a long time since some of us have heard either..

16. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Yes, easily. A good rock riff like the one in the song doesn't really make it with an acoustic 12-string.

17. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Here we go for S&G:

googlymoogly likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Really different from that common and weak stereo mix, ain't it? Thanks.

OldCoder likes this.
  19. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Sure is--that's the version that grabbed me so hard when I was driving it's a miracle I didn't run off the road. Something happened to not only that but to most of the Bookends era tracks on their way out of mono town--a real tragedy because it obscures what made S&G so magical at that time in their recording. My Two Cents: they were never better than that run from "Hazy" through "The Boxer". "Boxer" always sounded to me closer to Bookends than where it did wind up.

zobalob likes this.
  20. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Yes and no. Yes they did an awesome cover, but no they cannot connect to the lyrics like Paul and by extension Art.

21. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I think what's great about original is that it sounds introspective and incredibly restrained. Very cool. What is great about the Bangles cover is that the harmonies are amazing (as you should expect with The Bangles) and Vicki turns the very obscure riff into a hard rock classic one which rocks like crazy. Plus she looks even sexier than Susanna in that video!

[​IMG]

Standoffish and Rocketdog like this.
  22. margaritatoldtom

margaritatoldtom Well-Known Member

that's the problem with the bangles for me- they sound like a s**t-hot band to me, if they hadn't let their material be drowned in 80's production. i do think they were committed to the music and were true die-hard 60's garage fans, but the record company wanted big sales and the band went along. i do like their cover of 'hazy shade', but the production cheapens the feel, at least for me.
    has anyone heard the bangs (the band's original name)? i understand they were supposed to be really good and raw, but have never actually heard them.

cheers,
    rob

23. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

24. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Do you mean the 1982 EP? It's incredible in every way.

25. margaritatoldtom

margaritatoldtom Well-Known Member

now that's more like it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.