Does ' Jaws ' Still Have A Bite ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

I'm a Jaws geek. I personally love this movie, but I have only met two people in the last 20 years who share that love. My old adage - nothing is forever - applies here. That being said, it would be a fools errand to try and remake this movie. The chemistry here - from the characters, actors, effects, music, to the overall feel - is far too unique and memorable to ever be matched.

2. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

It would have to be.

If I recall correctly, Ben Gardner is in the book. I gather Ben Gardner is native to Amity and is a well-respected angler. Hauling in his shredded boat and corpse coupled with no remains of the kid in the Tiger Shark's stomach would be too overwhelming even for Mayr Vaughn.

Thievius likes this.
  3. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

He is previously mentioned and seen- when they all swoon over the dead Tiger Shark on the dock. A smiling Brody asked if Ben Gardner had caught him. He also get's a credit, so I think he one of those guys in the crowd at the dock.

4. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

My stepson used to get a big kick out of going to the edge of the water at the beach and calling "Pippit! Pippit!":laugh:

D-rock, stereoptic and Blastproof like this.
  5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It never did. Watched it for the first time last year and thought it was horrible in so many ways. Just awful. Nothing fun, scary, funny, nor interesting the whole way through. A real chore to watch until the end.

I can at least state I did watch it and it's yet *another* Spielberg movie that does nothing for me. Aside from the first three Indiana Jones movies, he's never done anything I enjoyed in the least. Only watched it because it's considered a classic. Wish I could get that time back.

MichaelH likes this.
  6. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

That's because Gardner was probably killed as the result of a propeller and/or boating accident.

7. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

LOL!

8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Ha! My daughter used to yell out : " Shark ! Shark! Shark in the pond" whenever it was applicable.

jwoverho likes this.
  9. Wildest cat from montana

Why did you watch it knowing it was a Spielberg film going in ( to the water )?

10. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I was in a long, boring meeting at work several years ago and somebody said "We should show this to Ben Gardner over in (insert department here)."

I stupidly blurted out, "Ben Gardner, the fisherman from Jaws?" to an uncomfortable silence.

11. A Grain of Sand

A Grain of Sand Forum Resident

The last time I went to the beach (a couple of months ago), the surf was big so there were a lot of surfers out there. I started humming “hmhm hmhm hmhm hmhm…”

12. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I still enjoy watching Jaws, but it's the character interplay that makes it interesting and enjoyable, not the oversized shark.

Jrr, Blastproof, RogerB and 3 others like this.
  13. Wildest cat from montana

I agree.
    Nevertheless my favourite shark moment is when he eats that kid on his float after enjoying Pippit as an appetizer.

14. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I still won't go in the water....

15. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

What books are in your Jaws library? I have a copy of the hard cover, and old paperback of The Making of the Movie Jaws (Edith Blake), The excellent The Jaws Log (Peter Benchley), and Jaws: Memories from Martha's Vineyard filled with memories and pictures from residents and businesses on the Vineyard during filming of the movie.

16. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

A few(?) years ago we took our three sons, all in their twenties, to see “Jaws” on the big screen.
    I think it was one of those TCM revival screenings.
    They loved it. The entire audience screamed and jumped at all of the right places.
    The wonky looking animatronic shark in close ups didn’t seem to matter.

It absolutely held up.

pjc1, Blastproof, Crungy and 4 others like this.
  17. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

All of those are great.

18. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

I saw it in three different theaters in 3 different US states in the summer of 1975, when I was a teen. LOL.
    And I felt it was over-rated and lacked bite, even back then. The first viewing was pretty good, but it did not hold up on the subsequent viewings, at least for me anyway.

19. It’s probably my fave Spielberg movie with Duel and Minority Report. Love him or hate him, Spielberg always has a humanity at the core of his films. ‘Jaws” is filmmaking that is a lost art-clever set up, great actors, great dramatic moments and comedic moments that grow out of the film rather than being slapped on. It’s organic.

Jrr and Wildest cat from montana like this.
  20. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

This film never fails to entertain. The opening sequence with the girl being pulled under still threatens to stop heart, and the scene with the chief being slapped by the grieving mother still resonates. It’s a near-perfect film.

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Ben Gardner gets lots of screen time - as well as dialogue:

[​IMG]

22. Oatsdad

I never interpreted Ben as having been "chewed up" by the shark.

The shark attacked the boat, and I figure he went down with the ship and something ate his eyeball after he died.

Ben's head remained attached to his body, and I don't see how the shark could somehow eat Ben's eyeball but leave everything else intact...

Blastproof likes this.
  23. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

I saw Jaws in the theater when it was released. I’ve probably watched it on tv 20 or so times since. I’ve enjoyed it every time. The characters make the movie.

ZackyDog, Jrr, altaeria and 2 others like this.
  24. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

I like this idea. I thought that the pressure of that huge shark clamping down on his body (and getting his head bit off!) made Ben's eye pop out. His head is heavy and wants to sink, that's why it popped out when disturbed. By the way, Jaws: Memories from Martha's Vineyard is a tremendous book. Good pick, Stereoptic.

25. Oatsdad

If you look closely at the scene, it's clear that Ben's head is still attached to his torso.

Possible Bruce bit him in half below that area, but I think it's more likely the attack on the boat caused death via drowning - or maybe heart attack. Ben was a husky man who probably didn't eat a balanced diet! :D

Given Ben's body is below decks, perhaps Bruce attacked when Ben was asleep, sank the boat and made Ben drown in his sleep.

Kinda seems most logical, doesn't it?

Blastproof likes this.