Does ' Jaws ' Still Have A Bite ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Somebody else that hates E.T. Yea!

2. I’m in for all three. Assuming universal does a good job with the transfer.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm hoping Sony sends me a review copy of the Columbia set but doubt it - they don't treat me as well as other studios do. :sigh:

Honestly not sure what I'll do if I don't get a review copy. I really want "LOA" on 4K, and I semi-like all the other films except "Gandhi", but it's an awful lot of money for 1 movie I love, 4 I semi-like, and 1 I can't stand.

Hoping Sony will announce standalone 4Ks for these titles before June but doubt it!

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:wantsome::wantsome::wantsome:

MichaelH and SgtPepper1983 like this.
  5. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Or worse, cringing being the new scared.

6. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Even though I’ve seen it at least 30 times, I still love it. Watch it at least once every year and that first shark attack (the girl from the beach party) still makes me shudder and grip the armrests of my chair. Same with the little boy during the daytime beach scene. After 30 viewings, I’m not exactly held in suspense, but those scenes (and Quint buying the farm) are still terrifying .... and everything else has me completely engaged, too. It’s very, very well crafted movie.

7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

8. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

9. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

ET is one of the most overrated movies ever. I saw it when I was 11 and never watched it since. I've caught bits of it on TV reruns over the years and turned over the channel.

:shrug:

10. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

May have been mentioned in another thread but the lady that played the little boys mother died a few days ago. Aged 91 iirc.

11. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Yes, I remember a variation of all of this happening in a way when I saw the move as a pre-teen in the theater. Many folks were screaming and some ran out to the lobby. Perhaps, in 2020, the shock of all this is quite dated because reality is actually scarier than what you can see on a movie screen...

That said, what I think really holds up in the movie and has gotten better as time rolls on is the whole character study / subplot of Quint throughout the movie. Robert Shaw's performance is great and the unraveling of his guilt and need for self-destruction is very powerful.

skisdlimit and Vidiot like this.
  12. Clark V Kauffman

I hear you. The original artwork was a masterpiece. Simple, elegant and terrifying.

13. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Never thought about Quint that way. Very perceptive!

BEAThoven likes this.
  14. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I just love Quints development as the cocky over macho stereotype always goading Hooper to the point when the Orca is screwed and then he turns to Hooper and asks him about what his gear can do. Then the look on his face as he sees Hooper going into the water in that 'little cage'.

Total respect. Amazing stuff. I just don't notice that as much in modern movies.

Like the bit in Escape from New York when Snake finds the Presidents transponder on the bum and then he just walks outside totally out of ideas and options, pulls up a chair and sits on it with a look of total resignation. Game over! Great acting.

skisdlimit and Vidiot like this.
  15. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

The original artwork on the book 's dust jacket showed a toothless shark. Missing the ' point ' so to speak.

16. Clark V Kauffman

Not toothless, just swimming directly toward the woman without its mouth wide open.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I lived in the Tampa-St. Pete area when the movie hit in the summer of 1975, and I can tell you right after that it was very scary to get in the Gulf of Mexico. The beach tourism actually went down more than 25% for months, which drove the merchants and motels crazy.

Yes, the moment where Quint destroys the boat radio is a good one. Dramatically, they needed to have no communication on the boat just for the story to work, because if they could've called for help, 50% of the danger would evaporate. It's gimmicky and a little silly, but I get why it had to be done.

18. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

One of my favorites. I saw it in the theater back in 1975; it was huge.

Here's one of many comparisons between the 4K UHD and Blu-ray versions.

When you buy the 2020 4K UHD disc, the 2012 Blu-ray disc is also included. I got mine for about $15.

[​IMG]

I like both. In some scenes, the Blu-ray looks "better" to my eyes.

D-rock, stereoptic and JCRW like this.
  19. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

It looks like they just slapped a lut over the blu ray and called it a day.

20. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I don't especially like E.T. but it makes me cry anyway, dammit!

21. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I will never forget that scene because the first time I saw the movie with my older brother and his girlfriend in July of 1975, the guy sitting behind me tossed his pepsi all over the back of my head!

22. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Jaws Vs E.T. It would be a smash.

23. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

I think it's still good and has plenty of suspense

24. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Although you may only notice minimal differences in the picture quality, the big factor to buy into the 4K release is the inclusion of the Original Mono Mix. The surround audio mixes for this film are embarrassing (although I have to admit that I have not heard the Atmos mix) and it is great that they included the original mix because of how powerful it is. For anyone who is unaware, here's an example showing how great the original mono mix is:

25. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Yes. I watched it in a theater a few years ago and thought it was fantastic.