Does the average consumer not see the Blu-ray advantage?*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kevintomb, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident Thread Starter

Okay first off Ive seen many blu rays and hi def tv in general and ive heard some people say they DONT see what the big deal is??

I was like WTF...there is a HUGE difference in detail to begin with...and so on.......

My question....do some of you find people that act that way..and what are their reasons for SUPPOSEDLY acting like they dont see a difference?

2. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I would guess a lot of people haven't seen it set up properly. Lots and lots of TV watchers think they're watching HD and they're not! Just goes to show.

3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Why do you think they are acting?

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It's like with music, they don't know what to look for. They look at a picture on a screen and see moving images. The color looks sort of correct, and there is no snow. That's all they look for. They are not looking for three-dimensionality.

5. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

Just take a walk through the video department at Best Buy or any other retailer. The images I see on those screens are awful...I swear they max out the color and contrast settings. The picture on my old 27" RCA TV beats it by a mile. Now, I know that probably under the right circumstances that these systems CAN produce a great picture. But they need to stop trying to WOW people with color and noise.

6. no, common people just dont care

7. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

I'm sure it's just supposed to mean 'ordinary' or 'average', 'the man in the street'. No offense taken here.

8. mjomalle

mjomalle Forum Resident

You find "common" to be offensive? Seriously? Do you liken "Joe Sixpack" to the "n-word"?

9. mjomalle

mjomalle Forum Resident

Where would a person have to go to see a properly set up HD system?

10. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Even the factory settings are terrible. :shake:

I bought my 27" Sony from, yes, Best Buy, and I almost didn't because the picture looked so crappy. The colour was set to "vivid" or some crap, the edge enhancement was turned on by default, etc, etc. The signal they send to the sets in the store isn't the best, but it looked a lot nicer after I adjusted a few things (the sales guy couldn't see the difference :laugh:). I only took it home because they have a 30-day no-questions-asked return policy. Kept it because it looks pretty nice here, especially in 16:9 mode.

11. Blencathra

Blencathra New Member

I agree. Most store display pictures are terrible compared to my 12 year old B&O TV and none beat it for quality. I don't deny there are huge improvements to be had - but I cannot justify changing until I see something a whole lot more convincing. Of course, the death of analogue may tip my hand but I'm ok with a digi' box for now.
    Besides, these stores are looking to shift tin and most consumers do not know quality when they see it or really care that much (as with Hi-Fi). It is easy to make sales based on certain apparent and overt characteristics and those characteristics do not necessarily equate to quality.

Whilst we're on the subject - is Blue-Ray the definitive now? Has the format war ended at this moment in time? I'm still to be convinced.

12. sadie

sadie New Member

Well I suppose I fit into the demographic being discussed here. Most people I know are planning to wait for costs to go down. Most people I talk to fall squarely into the category that as long as the picture looks reasonably close to how it was filmed it's good enough for them. I know very few people (if any) who would even know about 16:9 mode for example. I mean absolutely nothing disrespectful here. Just that I think there are people who have a greater sense of awareness and clarity, and those who find watching films just a pleasant way to spend a few hours.

Peace to all

Sadie

13. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Yes. Joe Sixpack and non-audiophile are one and the same to me.

14. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Most people really aren't that worried about picture quality. What they've got looks fine to them. Plus, they really don't want to have to re-buy all of those movies in their collection yet again, just because the industry tells them it's time to.

15. James RD

James RD Senior Member

A very well-stated and common sentiment.:)

16. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Offensive? Worry about something important.. Common People don't care..

17. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Manufacturers are forced to keep coming up with technology in order to sell hardware, which in turn allows Hollywood to sell more and more "versions" of movies that have already been sold a dozen times before. What will be next? Nanoray? Buying technology is like scoring a touchdown on a moving goal line. SCORE! Oh, but then it MOVES! Look, it's over there, now, gotta spend more cash!

I know the quality of the picture is better. I know it can be dazzling. But I'm one of those stuck-in-the-mud doofus types that just likes to watch movies. That's all. Just watch movies. I don't need to be able to count the pores on Will Smith's nose, and I'm not going to part with the cash necessary to do it.

This common man recognizes the difference. He just doesn't care.

18. louisville

louisville Peel Slowly and See

Stupid common people...what's wrong with them anyway?

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i rent weekly form a very large "family video" store.

they still do not rent blu-ray, and as far as anyone who works there knows, have no plans to.

isn't that telling the average consumer that it is possibly a niche?

i don't understand why the media giants are so intent on developing new ways to sell their product over and over and over again.

20. Jay F

Jay F New Member

It's not important to me to have what some consider a great picture on TV. I don't have a flat screen, or an HDTV, and I actually prefer my old TV to the HD/FS one a friend of mine has. It's garish-looking, IMO. I neither need nor want all that detail.

21. kevintomb

Not sure...because if you have normal eyesight you HAVE to see the increased detail..but ive heard some people say they dont know what im talking about or dont see it. Even if they are SHOWN what is different.....kind of an attitude that almost makes them seem clueless or kinda ignorant..hard to describe it.

22. kevintomb

LMAO true..ive seen some that THINK its HIGH DEF and its just SD quality stuff.....

23. kevintomb

Its not bad....WHAT are you talking about....lol.....COMMON>>>>EVERYDAY REGULAR PEOPLE.....

The title doesnt need changed, but perhaps you need to look up what COMMON means??

Offensive ?????????????????????:help:

24. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Well, how many common need eye glasses?

25. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

$

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.