Does the Beatles’ music sound ‘dated?’

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Mar 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

No way

bherbert likes this.
  2. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

The Beatles are a bit of a hybrid. They definitely belong to a past era, perhaps even a major contributor to the creation of a single era but they certainly are still current and relavent. Which if you think about it.....all past great musicians are still influencing today’s music.

Michael P and bherbert like this.
  3. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

To your ears, exactly. Everyone has their own subjective sense of what sounds dated. It's a pretty slippery concept.

4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Even when I was a teenager, the early albums and singles were relegated to Oldies stations, while everything from SPLHCB forward was played on Rock and occasionally Top 40.

Michael P, 2trackmind, lc1995 and 2 others like this.
  5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Yeah, I think everything pre-white album sounds very locked into it's era. The white album in particular to me seems to have longer legs -- it's self-referential, fragmented kind of construction and variety of particular styles still sound more contemporary than anything else I think of the Beatles' material. Like, an indie rock band today could have made the white album and it wouldn't so much sound like a period piece that references the styles and modes of 50 years before. But, if that band made the music and the sounds and the production techniques of Rubber Soul or Revolver or Sgt. Pepper or, especially, "Love Me Do" or "I Want to Hold Your Hand," it would sound today like a quaint and deliberate attempt to evoke the retro sounds of a bygone era.

But, you know, Corelli's trio sonatas also sound today like they're of Italy and the 1680 and 1690s but they're still great to hear.

gja586, fdsfd and bherbert like this.
  6. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

I think Mr. Moonlight is the only track that doesn't sound dated. It's like they are channeling Post Malone.

7. mds

mds Forum Resident

Depending on when you grew up and your taste in music. It is nostalgic and timeless. The music during the mid and late period defied the typical standards due to their exploration in the studio with sounds and types of music exploration. They were definitely not just a rock band and for that reason much of that period of music escapes "time period" constraints, therefore not dated in my opinion.

bherbert likes this.
  8. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

The fact that none of it are played on the radio today, should give you a clue. Of course it’s dated. It sounds fresh to people on this forum, because the majority of posters are closer to the era of it to being released and because of the diehards claiming it’s the only worthy music released. Ask the youngsters and you will get an honest answer. Not the people on an oldies forum without perspective.

9. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

And I would argue that there are a number of songs on Revolver that sound less dated than a number of songs on the White Album. But it's all subjective.

Michael P and bherbert like this.
  10. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

'The radio'...which radio?

11. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Some of it does sound dated but the vast majority is produced so well and was so well excluded and recorded, it's timeless and singular.

pantofis and bherbert like this.
  12. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

I think the early albums sound dated. But when I do listen to them, I still think, wow, these are great; Why don't I listen to the early albums more? I find myself listening to TWA, LIB,AR the most because they are timeless.

bherbert likes this.
  13. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

"What" "do" "you" "mean" "by" "dated"?

14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

:laugh:

bherbert likes this.
  15. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

So our answers are dishonest?

They are still being played on the radio. The local classic rock station plays them and the AC stations play their more wimpy pop tunes.

bherbert likes this.
  16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

most of it does. and why shouldn't it?

pantofis, Jarleboy, veloso2 and 3 others like this.
  17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

no

bherbert likes this.
  18. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Do I think that Beatles sounds dated?

Yes, of course.

I think that all music sounds dated. It's all pegged to its unique place in time, its cultural niche, etc.

I don't think that this is at all a bad thing. Just the opposite, really. A large part of the charm of artworks in general is that they can transport you to somewhere else, sometime else. It gives you an opportunity to see things from another point of view. Historical points of view are important.

This in no way diminishes something's present value.

19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Some of it does to me and some of it doesn't.

a customer and bherbert like this.
  20. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

I’m guessing production styles may have something to do with whether music may sound dated.

Then again compositions may sound dated because the songwriting is of a certain time.

The Beatles’ earlier sound may sound dated because some songs may include a little bit of both.

Yet, radio stations still play The Beatles as twenty-minute packages or hourlong specials which still sounds fresh to my ears.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    a customer and bherbert like this.
  21. Gollum

Gollum Forum Resident

Yes, for me it's the production techniques that sound dated. The stripped-down versions of the songs sound the most timeless. If I wanted to turn a young person onto the Beatles, I'd start with the stripped-down versions, like the Esher demos.

Crimson Witch and bherbert like this.
  22. WildHoneyPie9

WildHoneyPie9 Forum Resident

Yes, most of the music of the Beatles sounds dated now. The only record that has stood the test of time is the White Album, which still sounds fresh today, especially the 2018 remix.

I think Kraftwerk is an exception to that rule. Their music was decades ahead of it's time and they invented techno/dance music. Most of Kraftwerks records are timeless.

veloso2 and bherbert like this.
  23. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Yes. It sounds dated.

With that, it also sounds distinctive and its own specific brand/genre that defies time in a way. Such as Motown or Sinatra.

24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Ask your kids. Or grandkids.

You'll get a more objective answer from a fresh set of ears than our own. Of course you may not like the answer....especially when it comes to the remixes.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    RubenH, TheSeldomSeenKid and bherbert like this.
  25. sami

sami Mono still rules

Bingo. If you grew up listening to radio in the 70's and early 80's, nothing prior to Rubber Soul was played anywhere but Oldies stations, and the later stuff was a staple of rock radio.

We never owned anything but RS, Revolver, the White Album, AR, LIB, and maybe the Blue Album until the stereo and mono boxes were released.

bherbert likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.