Does the Jewel Case play into the value of a used CD?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by The_Shocker, Mar 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Shocker

The_Shocker Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's pretty clear that Jewel cases have gotten thinner over the years. And they tend to get scratched up and crack..

Back in December, I walked out of thrift store with a copy of Purple Rain by Prince and the Revolution. I put it away and didn't think much about it. Today, I pulled it out to give a listen and lo and behold!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Japanese JVC pressing target CD!

And the jewel case appears to be in great shape. But also feels more like a mid-90s jewel case than a early 80s one, in terms of thickness. Definitel not a modern jewel case. Way too thick for that.

This got me wondering....

How much does the Jewel Case play into the value of a collectible CD? This CD is on Discogs right now from between $30 and $99. If you had the CD and all the art in pristine condition, but the jewel case was destroyed and you replaced it with a new one, would that affect the resale value? Do collectors expect the jewel case to be original?

Also, is there any place that still sells 80s thickness jewel cases?

Platterpus and Fullbug like this.
  2. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...Warner Bros. used to emboss their logo on their cases and I’ve seen sellers advertise that those original cases are included, but I didn’t notice the cost being more than normal. I agree, the new thinner plastic cases suck. I get mine from Staples at $.50 each or 24 for $12. I haven’t found anyone that sells better ones.

Platterpus and Alan2 like this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Better the thin jewel cases than the weak, cheapo, ‘gatefold’ cardboard sleeves record companies stick CDs in now...

Platterpus, Echo, Galley and 5 others like this.
  4. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

0%

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

6. The_Shocker

Those things are awful. I'd prefer a flatpack of the CD and artwork and I buy my own jewel case than those things.

7. Bobby Morrow

They’re rubbish. It’s like the record companies are sending out a message saying, “You know, we really don’t care about CDs anymore. Can’t you buy the vinyl version instead? There’s lots more profit in that for us”.

:D

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  8. The_Shocker

I've close to 200 records in the last year and bought 4 turntables. And I learned something. There's a reason CDs won the format war.

Do records really have that much more of a markup than CDs do? I would think a CD is way cheaper to make and sell.

9. Bobby Morrow

Well, they charge an awful lot for LPs these days. CDs are relatively cheap.

ispace likes this.
  10. The_Shocker

They do. But I would think it costs a lot more to make a record than it does a CD. I can't imagine using giant steam presses would be cheap.

11. Bobby Morrow

It probably does cost a lot more, but I still the the prices for vinyl today are absurd.

Man at C&A and ispace like this.
  12. The_Shocker

I found the etched WB logo on some of my jewel cases:

[​IMG]

If I didn't know to look for it, I would have missed it.

ispace likes this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

I remember those. Especially on US pressed discs.

14. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I liked that WB logo in the corner. I'm still using sealed CD's for cases from Rockaway Records or Arons or Rhino L.A. parking lot pound or as much as you can carry sales in the 90's.

15. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

0% unless it is a unique or very special case (like lift-lock cases which seem to be hard to find nowadays).

eelkiller likes this.
  16. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

Usually 0%, but I can think of some that add value... Lift-lock (metioned above), smooth sided cases, SACD cases, and green ryko (especially the ones with writing on them).

Rodz42 likes this.
  17. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

What is even more amazing is that you didn't open it up and discover this at the point of sale when you bought it

Fox67 likes this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They've almost totally put me off buying vinyl. I've been buying records since I was five years old so that takes some doing. Aside from some good people losing their jobs I couldn't care less if HMV survives or not now. They're the worst culprits by far. I can't believe how elitist buying records new or second hand has become. CDs are great and I'm still buying plenty of those.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  19. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I've noticed this. The WB LOGO is on the front of a European CD case and on the rear of US CD case. I haven't noticed any difference with the weight of the embossed jewel cases, but in latter years the embossed ones seem far less common.

20. Bobby Morrow

I can’t even be bothered to go in HMV anymore. It’s hard to imagine anywhere else where you’d be so noticeably ripped off! Like others have said, you’d expect to pay a little more than an online store.. I’d understand if it was £1 or so, but sometimes even basic CDs are 3 to 5 quid more.

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I mentioned it on the thread in Marketplace Discussions, but Thriller on vinyl for £29.99 and single Led Zeppelin LPs for £34.99 finished me with them.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

Unless it's a special edition jewel case no. You can buy replacement CD cases and whoever is buying it is not going to judge it on that.

Lost In The Flood and Dave like this.
  23. The_Shocker

So, here is what I am thinking at this point. If it's a really old CD that should have a smooth top and bottom jewel case, I think a buyer would prefer the original smooth jewel case. The only other thing I can think of is if there is a colored tray. I have a few CDs with a brown tray and a few with white trays. Getting aftermarket colored trays is not the easiest thing in the world to do. Other than those 2 things, I think the case does not matter.

Dave likes this.
  24. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

I would respectfully argue that very few people even know that the original Jewel cases where smooth and not ripped. That said only a very experienced CD collectors would know they are more valuable than just the average thick ribbed CD jewel case. To a certain degree even colored CD trays don't matter that much.I am finding colored trays and replacing my gray ones but I don't think if someone were to come across my CD after I sold it or someone sold it after I passed away they would get much more for it.

25. The_Shocker

That is true. This thread started because I thought I had an newer jewel case on a Purple Rain Target CD. Looking at it now, I see that the tops are smooth, which tells me the jewel case is probably original to the CD. I'm just happy I scored a Purple Rain Target CD for $1.00

I think you're right. I have NO idea, which CD originally came in a smooth top and bottom jewel case, so I can't use that to make a purchasing decision. I will say that I prefer to have an old scratched up 80s jewel case than one of the moderm super thin ones.

Does anyone know why they switched from smooth jewel cases to ridged ones? Was it a cost saving move?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.