DOL Vinyl reissue label

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ruben lopez, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Went searching for a thread on this as I am listening to a lot of The Doors lately and there was a Live in Seattle 1970, double LP, by DOL (2016) for $16 at my local store. Took a chance if only to be able to report back. I actually like it, I think they did a great job with mediocre material. This is a radio bootleg, and in fairness to them, they disclose on the cover "KRAB - FM". This is an infamous show since Jim was not at his best and has been issued in cd and LP as Backdoor Man and Jim's Alive to name a few. During When the Music's Over" about 10 min in can hear a fan say "you're stoned!" His vocals are a bit muddy, but instruments are clear, esp Manzarek and vinyl is clean. Like the Train Jam and the reality of a less than perfect show. So no complaints from me on DOL for this one.

2. smudgebucket

smudgebucket New Member

Just received my first vinyl from DOL, Monk's "Brilliant Corners" I must say the sound is excellent and it is dead quiet. Sonny Rollins's sax leaps from the speakers [in a good way] and Monk's piano is clear as a bell. Just ordered two more from them, so we'll see how they sound. [Horace Silver -Six Pieces Of Silver and Dave Brubeck -Time Out} Got my fingers crossed.

3. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

I heard Dave Brubeck Quartet Time Out at a friend and sounded quite good, better than my CD version at least.

4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Does anybody have the Ella and Louis again double vinyl reissue on DOL? I'm thinking of buying it as I would like this on vinyl and this is the only issue that combines the two volumes, which were originally released separately, into a double album. Please can anybody let me know what the sound and pressing quality is like? Thank you.

5. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

No, but I did order this for $10.99 shipped. It's backordered now, but says they will ship when more are in stock.
    ELLA / ARMSTRONG, LOUIS FITZGERALD - Complete Studio Master Takes - Amazon.com Music

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That looks great but it's £93 in the UK, which is a lot for a public domain release. It looks like some research and effort has gone into it though. I hope it's a good one.

I already have an original UK HMV pressing of Ella and Louis in near perfect condition as well as the Ella & Her Fellas LP with a few more Louis duets. I'm just after a copy of Ella and Louis Again as I'm struggling to find the two original pressings in good enough condition.

I've just noticed $10.99!! What a great deal! Hope that comes through for you. It has to be a mistake, but they'll probably honour it.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  7. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

I just bought a record from DOL of a WTBS radio broadcast from 1964 of Mississippi John Hurt with Al "The Blind Owl" Wilson before he joined Canned Heat and Skip James live in Cambridge, MA in 1964, and aside from some tape dropouts in the beginning of John Hurt's set, it is outstanding. It literally sounds like they are playing in my room for me. It's become my favorite record to listen to for the time being. Not bad for what I consider to be a bootleg.

MISSISSIPPI JOHN HURT & SKIP JAMES - Live At Wtbs-Fm In Cambridge. Ma October 1964 - Amazon.com Music

It is also on YouTube if anyone would like to hear it.

8. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

Is it the same as this: Ella Fitzgerald And Louis Armstrong-Ella And Louis-45 RPM Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds

9. Where are you Simon

Where are you Simon Well-Known Member

They must have used a better quality CD or CDP than the one you have to transfer to LP with:winkgrin:

10. smudgebucket

smudgebucket New Member

Just received the 6 Pieces of Silver album by Horace Silver from DOL. Quiet and good sound. Much better than I expected.

11. I have the Complete Masters set (6 vinyl records) and picked it up for £50. As you say there are few options available for "Ella And Louis Again" as no one else has ever reissued it in its complete original format. The 2 LP's includes in the "Complete" sound very good to me although I have no other copy on LP to compare them too. They sound far better than the much loved (here) Drake CD anyway. That's not a bad start.....

Oh yes, before I forget, the vinyl is jet black, mirror finish, perfectly flat and utterly silent in the background. The only thing "digital" about the sound is the background silence.!!!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    Man at C&A likes this.
  12. W1nchester32

W1nchester32 New Member

I took a chance on 'Workout' , Hank Mobley, with Grant Green- Guitar,Wynton Kelly-Piano, Paul Chambers-Bass and Philly Joe Jones-Drums. Originally on Blue Note and recorded at Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs in March 1961. First impressions: a bit bass light (but I quite like that) and a bit quiet (again not a problem as I have a high gain pre-amp). However, the room acoustic and the drums sound awesome, as if they were recorded yesterday using state of the art facilities. It sounds better the more I listen to it - but I don't have the original Blue Note ($150?) pressing to compare it to, which I know can sound very good too. But this only cost me £17. I am very happy with it.

13. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

Same here. My daughter bought me Elvis's second album for Christmas (she had no idea what she was buying, of course!) so I thanked her and, to be perfectly
    honest, I put it on the shelves and forgot about it. But a few days later, I brought myself to give it a spin and far exceeded my expectations: vinyl was really thick and as flat as a pancake.
    The thingy was as quiet as a mouse: not a single tick or pop. Not a single one. As for the sound, I must admit that the bass was solid but smooth at the same time,
    Elvis's voice came through really well and it had a compelling soundstage. CD sourced? Mmmm, I don't quite think so. It certainly sounds much better than
    lots of RCA Cds that I have heard over the years. My guess -just as good as any guess in this case- is that it comes from needledrops. I won't be buying any more
    of these, but let's give unto Caesar what is Caesar´s...

14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've just bought DOL reissues of 'Bo Diddley' (his debut LP), Chuck Berry 'One Dozen Berrys' and 'After School Session'. I bought them online so they should be with me soon. They are all very cheap (around £12 each influencing postage) and originals are very rare, so I'm hoping these sound good. I'm not bothered if they are taken from CD, as long as it's a well mastered source. If it is then I probably wouldn't know or notice anyway. I just hope they sound rockin' regardless of the source!

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm quoting myself here but I've learned the hard way with DOL. Their One Dozen Berrys reissue has arrived and it's absolutely awful. It's all reprocessed stereo and all sounds like it's been transferred from either a poor quality cassette complete with drop outs and distortion or poor quality MP3. The sound is inconsistent. The sleeve looks great. The vinyl quality sadly is superb which makes it worse. The sound is so bad I hate it. I have two more of their reissues coming too. I wish they were the CD transferred to vinyl! I could live with that as there's some nice sounding Chuck CDs.

This is total crap.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    aoxomoxoa likes this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Do you still think it's good? Personally I can't believe how bad it is! Especially the last two tracks.

17. Trace

Trace Senior Member

My DOL records are hit and miss. Some sound really good, others, yes, "total crap".

I seem to have better luck with Wax Time for these "public domain" labels.

via_atx and Man at C&A like this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've only heard two, the terrible DOL Chuck Berry one and the Wax Time Julie London - Calendar Girl, which is superb.

19. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

I think there are at least two complete audiophile type of re-issues of "Ella & Louis again":

- The MoFi from the mid 90s
    Ella* And Louis* - Ella And Louis Again

- More recently Speakers Corner have re-issued "Ella & Louis again" as a double LP
    Ella* And Louis* - Ella And Louis Again
    [I have this one, so it is indeed existing]

I have a number of times seen a 3 LP Box covering all three Ella & Louis volumes
    (I have seen French and Japanese incarnations). Usually these are stone mint and relatively
    cheap (20 - 30 Euros over here).

20. MattTheCat

MattTheCat Prowling At 78 RPMs

I just got suckered into Mingus Dynasty on DOL. It was a last minute impulse buy. First off, I paid way too much for it at $19.99, but I've always wanted that record on vinyl. The sound is not bad. It's quite quiet, though not punchy enough. HERE'S THE THING...they omitted "Gunslinging Bird" from the end of side 1 and replaced it with "Strollin'," which was a reissue bonus track. The rest of the track list remains the same, but WTF!! Strollin' is a good song with Honi Gordon on vocals, but what about Gunslinging Bird? I'm super PISSED!

ARRRRGH! Now I want to pay a fortune for an original mono pressing. It's like THAT'S the only thing that will make me feel better. $20 wasted!

Matt

dman23 and Dan Steele like this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

i havn't had any issues with the DOL lp's, including the picture discs which sound great...
    for a picture disc.
    I'm quite happy to spend 20 bucks for a DOL and take a chance, than fork out 60 bucks
    for it's 'label' counterpart, and still take a chance.

22. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

They are only great until you compare against originals or officially licensed copies. Coltrane’s Blue Train on DOL versus licensed DeAgostini is night versus day.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    McLover and Man at C&A like this.
  23. MattTheCat

MattTheCat Prowling At 78 RPMs

I hear what you're sayin', Rick, but they actually CHANGED the running order of a classic LP and LEFT A SONG OFF! I mean, c'mon! Even Scorpio didn't do THAT! I just played side 2 at decent volume and it does sound good, so I'll give 'em that. Whatever source they used was a really good source. Then again, I have plenty of Scorpie Blue Notes that sound pretty damn good too. But why in hell would they mess with the track list? The jacket has the correct track list as it's just a copy of the original jacket.

24. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yep! in that case, that's pretty poor, I agree. I guess it's a case of pick and choose with caution with particular
    releases. I bought all of the picture Beach Boys discs and really wasn't expecting much, other than a show piece.
    surpisingly, that sound OK, considering they crammed both sides of the original disc on one side, taking it up
    to about 35 minutes!! yeah, the quality was a little soft and a little thin, but overall, they're OK for what they are.
    Most of them are mono one side, stereo on side 2. It would have been better to pick one of the other,
    but they are a novelty. I bought the Sinatra 'wee small hours' and the Brubeck 'Time Out', and they sound
    really great......for picture discs/coloured vinyl.
    A pity about the Mingus release, when the artwork is an original match and the record is different......bummer.
    It does make DOL an ummm and arrrrrr label doesn't it?

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Chet Baker / Chet (yellow clear vinyl) on DOL. Impressive. Don't know what to say was expecting garbage but sounds excellent. Quiet vinyl too. Hmmmmm