DOL Vinyl reissue label

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ruben lopez, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't think they're going for the cheapest way as, regardless of the source or ethics, I haven't seen or heard a DOL or Wax Time record that hasn't been pressed on high quality flawless vinyl. Much better than some of the full price official major label LPs I've had.

elgoodo and Ron Jones like this.
  2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Flawless vinyl doesn't change the fact they're going for the cheapest way to put out the record. It's a cd pressed to vinyl, and they don't care about getting any money to the folks who created the music. If that's ok with you, fine.

3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I know all that, but it doesn't seem that they are using the cheapest possible vinyl to press on. In every other way they are as cheap as can be! It's not totally fine with me, but I don't care much about the royalties. There's not much most of these artists can do with the money six feet under and I buy a lot of second music where the artist also gets nothing.

4. When I’m six feet under or scattered in the Bay, I want my son to get any monies that are still coming in due to my hard work or creative endeavors.

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Fair enough, I would too. I'm not bothered about the offspring of people I've never met. I don't feel I owe them anything because their grandparents recorded some music I enjoy over 50 years ago.

It is, of course, crap for the artists who are still with us.

goodiesguy likes this.
  6. We simply disagree. Artist’s heirs should reap the rewards of their parents creations imho.

Jared Purdy, nosliw and Man at C&A like this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'd rather they got it than someone totally unconnected who is cashing in, but I can't change that.

I do wish the record labels would release decent pressings of the albums on DOL etc from the masters or best sources available. I don't see why they couldn't do this and match the prices of the inferior public domain stuff.

Dubmart, Jared Purdy and goodiesguy like this.
  8. Sci-Flyer

Sci-Flyer Forum Resident

What’s the story with 4menwithbeards? I have one or two of their LPs and the main thing that irritated me was their silly labels rather than reproducing the original label design. Are they another CD sourced label that don’t pay royalties?

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I don't care if the source is a digital master. I can't tell the difference and honestly I don't care about this issue as long as it sounds fine. But I want it to be a legit licensed master and a legit licensed release

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Not sure about the royalties bit, but yeah; they are almost universally disliked - poor sound, pressings, artwork, etc.

Sci-Flyer likes this.
  11. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I had a 4menwithoutears Marquee moon and it sounded dead,and dull and flat.

Avoid this label

nosliw and Man at C&A like this.
  12. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I think they're no longer operating, isn't?

13. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

As far as I can tell, they're still in the business, according to their webshop under their parent label, Runt: Runt:4Men

14. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

They're hit or miss. I know their reissue of PiL's Metal Box was done with cooperation of the band and is considered an official band-sanctioned reissue. It sounds good, too.

15. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

Received DOL CHET on yellow vinyl for my birthday. Listening to it now. Sounds warm and balanced. Not complaining.

16. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

4Men With Beards does officially license and pay royalties on their titles. But, they are not transparent about where they source from. Some of their titles sound pretty good, but many do not.

17. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

That's the only one of these labels I avoid. I've heard enough not to trust the sound of their stuff.

nosliw and Man at C&A like this.
  18. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

After reading this thread ..i've just pushed the button for a 2nd hand (in very good condition or so says the seller) ...so no royalties ....Stanley Turrentine 'Up at Mintons Vol 1&2' CD .... i chose this as it's the Blue Note Release, rather than getting the DAD Vinyl which i could of got new & still wrapped, but from what i can find it is an Italian 'grey label' so i thought to avoid it .... if others have more info on DAD please feel free to reply ...

Dan Steele and Jared Purdy like this.
  19. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Active Member

I have the DOXY reissue, which is a EU pressing. Where from? I don't know. Compared to my official releases, I have to say that it sounds as good as any of the others. Still, I'm praying that Tone Poet will grab a hold of this and reissue it as a 2 LP set. I don't have very many EU reissues. On matter of principle, I stopped buying them when I found out that they don't honour copy right, and pay no royalties to the artists or the estate of the late artist.

20. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

Mike owner of the In Groove touched on these a bit today. He doesn’t sell them. That would be an easy buck for him. Good for him.

Swann36 and nosliw like this.
  21. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Active Member

He's nit picking on that Music on Vinyl copy. I have it, and it sounds as good as any of the official Columbia releases that I have. Most of us don't listen to music with a frequency scope. We use our ears.

Bob J likes this.
  22. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

The Music On Vinyl is an official release!

T

23. soam

soam Forum Resident

24. modlin

modlin Active Member

Are LP re-runs by Universal better than DOL, Waxtime ?....are they off original master tapes?

25. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

I bought The Dave Brubeck Quartet Time Out on DOL and the sound really disappointed me.
    Therefore I have just bought the Music On Vinyl version instead.