Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet - Complete Lansdowne Recordings (1965-69)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

Yes...they are...so good! Listening to Shades Of Blue right now. A stunner for sure.

Bryce likes this.
  2. indiana45s

indiana45s Forum Resident

Wish someone would reissue Mike Taylor Trio and some of the Michael Garrick titles.

Hulloder, jay.dee and Bryce like this.
  3. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

You say that, and yet no one on this thread seems capable of telling whether these have been mastered AAA or not. If there was such an obvious difference from AAA - not just on this release - then surely people would be able to tell right away?

Willowman likes this.
  4. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

I don’t own originals of these. But people I know that do own original who have compared them with the new Jazzman reissues have not been able to discern a difference. I’m told they basically sound the same.

5. box of frogs

box of frogs Forum Resident

You and me both...

Sunbeam released a CD of Mike Taylor's "Pendulum", taken from the original tapes: it is absolutely splendid, and possibly one of my favourite jazz albums on CD. However, when Universal got wind of the release, they claimed to own the rights, so the release was pulled after only 1,000 were pressed. It's well worth searching out (only because an original would probably set you back £2k+).

The Michael Garrick CD releases on Vocalion also sound excellent, and "Home Stretch Blues" is pretty damn close to the original vinyl pressing.

The CD releases of Mike Westbrook's 60's/early 70's releases are more patchy: here, I've always sought out the original vinyl.

Back O/T, the 5 Rendell/Carr releases look fabulous: to date I've played "Change Is". I only have the BGO CD version to compare it to; I suspect the CD releases were low gen tapes (and possibly from masters) as "Change Is" matches up pretty close (though the CD is markedly brighter & harsher in louder passages; that's more likely to be EQ/mastering decisions). I'm looking forward to playing the rest of them.

HappyFingers, jay.dee and Bryce like this.
  6. Moroboshi

Moroboshi Well-Known Member

I've bought 4 of the five single releases and so far Shades of Blue has been an exceptional listen. Great pressing that makes me question SRX vinyl formula. Can't wait to dig into the rest this evening. Jazzman did a wonderful job!

shutdown66 and Bryce like this.
  7. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

I've been totally digging and getting high to 'Live', which is an in studio session from March 18th, 1968 (51 years ago!!). I agree with the posters above who wanted a reissue of the Michael Garrick albums.....he is super great on this session, and I am a fan. In fact the standout tracks for me on this session are the two Garrick tracks 'On Track' and 'Voices'....but really, its all good.

I'm really enjoying theses releases - they're going to get plenty of listening time. I missed out on 'Dusk Fire' and 'Shades of Blue' but there is a repress happening so I am happy to soak myself in the ones I have. I had forgotten how great Don Rendell was....he's pretty awesome across a range of instruments (tenor and soprano sax, clarinet, flute - they aren't similar players, but that's the kind of instrument line-up you would expect from Eric Dolphy).

The packaging is so good, and the vinyl is flat and quiet - these are quite the steal for £18.99. I hope Jazzman can figure out a way to do other Brit Jazz stuff - the titles on the back cover would do for starters, especially the Joe Harriott....would love to see some Mike Westbrook reissued in this way (especially 'Love Songs', which I adore - I have a recent Japanese reissue vinyl which is OK......)....anyway, well done Jazzman.

jay.dee and Bryce like this.
  8. Carter DeVries

I’ve had “Change-Is” in the house just long enough to clean and play though twice.
    What an amazing album! Cold Mountain is the early fave.
    I ordered this title and Phase III from Stranded Records in San Fran. They sent two copies of Change-Is which may have worked out okay as one copy has horrible non-fill on side 1.

Bryce likes this.
  9. Carter DeVries

Stranded Records handled the order fulfillment issue mentioned in my post above very professionally. Shipped the missing copy of Phase III right away and emailed a label to send the duplicate of Change-Is back. Good place to do business.

Bryce likes this.
  10. Moroboshi

Moroboshi Well-Known Member

I have now listened to all records (besides Phase III) and must say that they all sound amazing. Dusk Fire is my clear favorite. I could spin this one every evening and never get bored. Again, kudos to Jazzman for a great job done!

shutdown66, Hulloder, Gez and 2 others like this.
  11. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I cannot stop playing these..
    [​IMG]
    Simply put , my favorite purchases in the last few years and I knew zero about this band 3 weeks ago. Simply sublime haunting lyrical magic songwriting.....,..
    Those of you who have the box are fortunate indeed. The tragic part of this is that we are all preaching to the converted and all jazz fans really really need to know about these guys. I pray jazzman continues releasing othe Brit jazz of this era. Clearly stuff was happening on the other side of the pond.

I hope this thread continues with other notable releases from this era or a new thread dedicated to Brit jazz by someone knowledgeable pops up

Bryce, jay.dee, Hulloder and 3 others like this.
  12. Carter DeVries

Agree on all counts!

Bryce, RiRiIII and Stu02 like this.
  13. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

I have counted notable archival releases of the Brit jazz/fusion from the 60s/70s I have amassed so far and there have been quite a few of them this century (I am listing only one per artist).
    • Gordon Beck - Jubilation! '64-84
    • Don Rendell & Ian Carr Quintet - Live at the Union '66
    • Michael Garrick - Prelude to Heart Is A Lotus '68
    • John Surman - Flashpoint: NDR Jazz Workshop '69
    • Graham Collier - Workpoints '68-75
    • Michael Gibbs - Festival '69
    • Soft Machine - Noisette '70
    • Nucleus - Hemispheres '70-71
    • Neil Ardley - On the Radio: BBC Sessions '71
    • Brotherhood of Breath - From Bremen to Bridgewater '71-75
    • Splinters - Split the Difference '72
    • Harry Miller Isipingo - Different Times, Different Places, Vol. 1-2 '73-81
    • Isotope - Golden Section '74-75
    • Elton Dean Ninesense - Live At The BBC '75-78
    • Lol Coxhill ‎– Coxhill On Ogun '77-78
    • Amalgam - Wipeout '79
    Hence there's definitely interest in that period & place and I bet more re-issues and archival finds will come about. Some of the canonical titles are already hard to come across at a decent price, e.g. Harry Beckett's Flare Up or Mike Westbrook's Love Songs, some have never been re-issued like Solid Gold Cadillac's Live at Paris Theatre '71, Ian Carr & Jeff Clyne Quintet's Springboard or John Surman's Live in Altena '70, so there is quite a lot of potential recordings to (re)release.

I would also be interested in more archival releases from the 80s where some of the prominent composers from the scene enjoyed a sort of renaissance, as evidenced on Graham Collier's Hoarded Dreams '83, Keith Tippett's A Loose Kite in a Gentle Wind Floating… '84 and Mike Westbrook's On Duke's Birthday '84. Bring them on! :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  14. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Thanks so much for this post Jay. I got me some listening to do.....

jay.dee and Bryce like this.
  15. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Just in from Japan:

[​IMG]

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

How do they sound?

17. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

I'm late to the party on these. Can't find stock anywhere. Any ideas? Are there more coming?

18. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

Wow, you’d have to be a total wank to pay 4000 pounds for music you can get for nothing off Pirate Bay, but 90 quid for the real thing sounds like an excellent deal.

19. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

All five records sold as new on eBay for $140 last week.

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have all five of the SHM-CDs and they sound very very good.

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

rendell - Stranded Records

Carter DeVries likes this.
  22. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

That makes a lot more sense.

23. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Really? I was able to add them to a cart and get to the checkout point.

25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Picked up the shm-cds of Shades Of Blue and Dusk Fire. Figured Id take a taste. These seem to be the biggy titles.

Do I understand these use the same source/mastering as the jazzman's?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.