Don Williams “Especially For You“, “Listen To The Radio“, “Yellow Moon“ new BGO release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dick, Jun 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick

Dick Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today I received the new Don Williams CD (BGOCD1388) from BGO Records UK. I guess it’s the first time that Don’s albums “Listen To The Radio” and “Yellow Moon” are released on CD, but the real highlight are the “Especially For You” album on this release because the mastering is so incredibly better than on the old MCA release (MCAD-20690) from 1993. Great job Mr Andrew Thompson who’s credited for the mastering.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Tjazz, ispace and melstapler like this.
  2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

What an excellent reissue. These are some of Don's best albums. Have you also ordered the new Ray Price 2CD fourfer on BGO?

3. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

How great to see a Don William's topic. I recently bought Visions on download. That album was a house favourite in my mid-to-late teens, even while I was into everything else music-wise at the time, my early years were thankfully influenced by Mum's love for country. I saw Don twice in the UK and his son Tim at the BIC in Bournemouth, that must have been ten years since. The thing I liked most about Don was that there was no pretence as a singer. I remember seeing him start the gig at Frimley Green; the lights went up, you saw the ubiquitous hat, him and the guitar and he just played as if he were at home.

zebop likes this.
  4. Dick

[​IMG]
    Source: BGO Records webpage

This is the fifth Don Williams release from BGO and I hope they will do another one in the nearer future featuring his albums "I Believe In You", "Cafe Carolina" and "Volume III". "Cafe Carolina" has never been released on CD and the other two are out of print for decades. I guess the "I Believe In You" album from 1980 was Don's best selling album of all time and "Cafe Carolina" from 1984 his final one for MCA.

5. Dick

I also saw Don twice in London back in 2014 and in 2012. Although I enjoyed both shows the one in 2012 was much better IMHO since his voice was much stronger than only just two years later. In 2016 Don decided to retire, probably because he knew that his voice wasn't up to his own expectations (and his fans) any longer. For me he will always be one of my heroes.

6. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up - just ordered. I have all of these 3 on 2 sets so far. The tipping point between classic Don and the second tier, for me, occurs around Listen to the Radio, but still some great stuff here.

7. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

For someone who has only a Best Of, where’s the best place to start with the two-fers that are out there now?

8. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

"Especially For You" features one of my favorite songs by Don, "Fairweather Friends". It's hard to go wrong with the ultra smooth Don Williams!

melstapler likes this.
  9. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I would go for Visions/Expressions/Portrait. This is classic DW for me. The early ones are also great - You're My Best Friend/Harmony/Country Boy. It is a shame that they paired Vol I and Vol II as a single CD reissue without Vol III.

10. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Thanks. Did you get his last two albums? How were they?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.