Don't Look Now on Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by misterjones, Nov 25, 2022.

1. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear. Thread Starter

Some choices available - Don't Look Now 4K UHD - Julie Christie

Any recommendations (and none of this "watch another movie" and the like)? I happen to like this movie and would want to get the best version available (though not 4K nor the Criterion version if it's going to cost me $60 or more, though feel free to tout the benefits thereof). Region is not an issue.

2. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I've had the Criterion, The Studio Canal remains in my library. A brilliant film, probably Roeg's best, along with BAD TIMING.

misterjones likes this.
  3. misterjones

Thoughts on either?

4. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

DVD Beaver's review is pretty much spot on. I'd stick with the Studio Canal.

misterjones likes this.
  5. misterjones

I’ve been concerned with the trend towards darker transfers, as often noted in DVDBeaver - Citizen Kane, Double Indemnity, etc. - and I wonder how much detail I will lose on my system as a result. Don’t Look Now is an example. The DVDBeaver screen captures for the Criterion look better on my computer, but my computer isn’t optimal. I now recall looking at screen captures for a movie - I forget which one - using my TV as a a monitor, and it convinced me to buy the Blu-ray. I should do that with Don’t Look Now.

6. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

misterjones likes this.
  7. misterjones

8. misterjones

Before I got to Venice, I read that at least part of the fun is getting lost. Sure. Right. Who came up with that? Who wants to go on vacation and get lost? But, aided by my knowledge of Don't Look Now, this indeed was the case. One evening we went out to dinner . . . left out of the hotel, another left down a street and over a small bridge (like the one Julie Christie is on in the clip below), then straight down a narrow alley into a square where the restaurant was. Easy enough, it seemed (though I learned that the street signs are absolutely no help for the English speaking, and maybe not even for those fluent in Italian). After dinner, damned if we couldn't find our way back. It couldn't have been farther than 2-3 standard city blocks. The following scene - until the scream at about the one minute mark, that is, but picking up again at about the 1:25 mark - is exactly what happened to my wife and me. I even found myself thinking to myself, like Sutherland, "I know this place". Also like Sutherland, I even went down one of those walkways that merely ends up in the water. (No rats, however.) We retraced out steps and found our way back. (It seems we had taken the wrong narrow alley.) Weird, wild stuff!

Don't Look Now was the best part about Venice, which otherwise was too touristy for my tastes. It seemed to me too much like what Venice would look like if Walt Disney created a "Venice World" theme park. For much of the stay we amused ourselves looking for Don't Look Now shooting locations. The best were the church the Sutherland character was restoring (a nice long walk away from tourist central, which is where to head IMO) and another (surprisingly large - it looked small in the film) church where he sees and tries to avoid the psychic lady.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    Carl LaFong likes this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

10. misterjones

I ended up buying the Studio Canal version, but I haven't watched it yet. It seems to still be priced well, but it is region 2.