Don't "upgrade" to Catalina if you have a large iTunes library

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pathosdrama, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

All my artwork has disappeared but it says it's 'loading'

2. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mine didn't, some came out when I signed in for the store but that's all.

3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

The stuff I bought from iTunes came out but the stuff I've taken from CDs is still 'loading' Things I've done three months ago are appearing as I type but nothing more recent.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  4. pathosdrama

Yeah, the problem involves only the stuff that was ripped into iTunes. Purchases from the store that are visible on the cloud work perfectly.
    They moved the artwork folder in the ~/Library/Caches path, I guess that's where the problem lies.

5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Elvis: 1969 at the International Hotel is the newest thing that's retained it's artwork.

6. pathosdrama

Certain new rips I made retained their artwork, yep, but they are a very small minority in my library.

7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

there doesn't seem to be a search function in 'music' I can use 'spotlight' but why should I?

8. canyelles

canyelles Forum Resident

Top left, but it works differently, and not in a good way

SeanRichard likes this.
  9. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I tried Swinsian a few years ago and liked it, but it didn't sync music to iphone. Does it now? Suppose I could go look huh? LoL

10. I totally miss the command+B feature. I have 40K+ tracks and organized my library with genre, composer, etc... I ABSOLUTELY need the Column Browser feature

What other applications feature this???

Andrew Littleboy likes this.
  11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

You spelled "Christmas" wrong...

12. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

:oops: Oops! Thanks. Just fixed that!

action pact likes this.
  13. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Started the update 13 hours ago. Went to bed last night and when I woke up this morning, I now have the Catalina desktop background with the large white square that you normally see at startup along with the spinning beach ball. I do hear disk activity. Wondering if I should just power it down and restart???

14. Andrew Littleboy

Andrew Littleboy Forum Resident

Luckily Windows has not been affected and they can't force you to upgrade to latest version if and when they upgrade on that platform.

I always used to like macs 20 years ago but hate the way they have taken all the control from the user, the OS they put out seems to want to control everything even to the point of photo's. I like to do things myself and know exactly where things are so it's why, even with all it's faults I stick to windows.

SeanRichard likes this.
  15. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I would. It pry was waiting for you to allow restart while you were sleeping. Just a guess though. Maybe google it and see what others say?

16. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

That’s one I hadn’t checked out. Installed the trial version last night, and it seems like a very solid player that focuses on all of the big-library information access and clarity of presentation that Apple has abandoned in favor of candy-colored prettiness. If it functions as well as it presents, I think I’m sold!

Groovy likes this.
  17. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Have they added sync capabilities?

18. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Well I added 20 albums to my macbook pro laptop then installed Catalina. Only took about half hour. Opened the new music app and all of them were there, only one had no artwork and that was VA album. My purchased albums are all there too. I don't use Apple Music or icloud syncing. And no column browser here either. I still won't do it on my main music iMac yet though.

19. Claus

Claus Senior Member

What is the problem with Catalina. You can run Catalina and (!) High Sierra on the same Mac. I have both macOS on my MacBook.... works perfect! The reason why I keep High Sierra, I still run 32-bit apps.

20. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

My entire digital collection is in iTunes. It’s a mix of 320 kbps AAC files and some ALAC stuff. Also a somewhat small amount of purchased AAC files at 256 kbps. Will other audio programs run my AAC and ALAC files? I primarily use iTunes to put music on my iPhone, but it has also been THE way that I organize and maintain (and back up!) my digital collection.

Any tips?

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  21. pathosdrama

Go with Swinsian, it's really good.

Lanark likes this.
  22. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Does the iOS iTunes Remote app work with the new iMac music?

23. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

While I whined about this whole thing earlier, one option is to hold out just a bit and see if Apple makes some changes based on feedback. It can happen.

I’d hate for anyone to spend a ton of time migrating their music to a new app only for Apple to issue an update that takes care of some complaints.

In the end, you can’t really count on any company or piece of software to stay the same forever. The best we can hope for is that our chosen piece of software meets our needs for as long as possible, and when it doesn’t that there’s an equally useful solution that will also meet our needs for as long as possible.

Right now, with the convenient syncing of my music to my phone, I’m hoping Apple returns the Column Browser before I upgrade. And fingers crossed for an easy fix for the DJs who really got a rude awakening.

24. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Those options look pretty limited.

Swinsian — FAQs

btltez likes this.
  25. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

I have a lot invested in iTunes and Airplay. I’m betting they work out the issues soon, but until then I’m hanging back. Lots of unanswered questions, like the iOS Remote app and artwork. Also I use iVolume to equalize the volume tag; I’m betting that will stop working.