Doubts about audiophile fuses.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gene Zucker, Nov 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gene Zucker

Gene Zucker Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here is my suggestion about audiophile fuses.

There is one way to find out cheaply if you are going to hear benefits of spending the money for an audiophile fuse.

Start with what you got. The OEM fuses that came with your components. Make sure everything in your system has been well broken in first. If you have DeoxIt, clean up the fuse ends and the holders.

Now, simply do this. Take the original OEM fuse out of a component. You may need a magnifying glass. Good fuses usually have certain symbols on one cap end, while the other end gives the fuse rating. Just simply flip it over! Also, make sure to mark down on a paper the direction you chose using one cap marking as your point of reference.. Now, turn back on your system and listen to something you are very familiar with for difference. Use music that has multiple instruments... drums and cymbals... bass...guitar, etc. Listen for a while. Then after a time of relaxed listening, turn off and switch the direction of the fuse again. You should hear a difference. But, it may be quite subtle because your other components are still having certain fuses in the wrong direction.

I took all my components having EIC sockets and made sure all their fuses faced the same direction in their holders. I then listened for some time. After relaxing and listening for a while with music I am familiar with I flipped the fuses . I could hear the difference even with the OEM fuses. One way will sound smoother ande a bit fuller than the other.

NEXT PHASE: Then I ordered online relatively cheap ceramic fuses of the same ratings. That also improved the sound a bit more. I saw that recommended in one review online. Its true. Its yet another subtle step towards better sound.

Well.. If you can hear the difference on your system that way? You will know that the audiophile fuses will probably make a nice difference in what you will hear. Each test was a step closer to improving the sound. If you can not hear any differences with the first inexpensive tests? Chances are, your system would not benefit much from an audiophile fuse.

Gene

jfeldt likes this.
  2. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Hmmm - let's see - internal wiring to one inch fuse of high quality - back to internal wiring. I'm not going for it.

seed_drill likes this.
  3. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

I don't know about "audiophile" fuses, but being an electrician, I do know a little about fuses. If you live in an old house, the tip regarding checking the fuses, cleaning the contact points, is a very good one. My experienece is also fuses get old, and the resistance over the fuse builds up, to the point the fuse acts more like a resistor than a fuse. And that's very bad. This is a fire hazard. In a couple of old houses I have lived in, the first thing I did was to check the main fuses, and they were full of burn marks. I consequently replace the fuses (both mains and sub) in such places.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  4. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

The counter may be that the standard fuse is worse than the internal wiring on either side and so does 'more harm'.

I dunno - don't have a dog in this fight, but won't make a decision based on internet posts.

5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I bought an 'audiophile' fuse, heard no difference, but I had recently installed new interconnects, not sure if those were broken in yet. Anyhoo, at the price, figured it couldn't hurt?

6. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

I think I will never buy an "audiophile" fuse. I will just make shure the fuse is new, and not getting hot.

basie-fan, Wngnt90 and rebellovw like this.
  7. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

And the signal passes through the fuse?

8. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

No, but power is.

9. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Audiophile fuses?
    My giddy Aunt.

basie-fan, MonkeyMan, russk and 2 others like this.
  10. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Also - I'd rather stick to fuses used in millions of applications - same old design over the years - vs some boutique fuse made in small quantities that could fail when called upon.

basie-fan and Brother_Rael like this.
  11. Slick Willie

:confused:

12. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

What is so confusing?

Millions/billions likely of these sold - been available since who knows how long (bussman 1969):

[​IMG]

vs some boutique fuse sold in extremely small quantities. I'll trust the old school fuses with my gear.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  13. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Sorry, but there's only so much I can buy in to. Power cables, fuses and receptacles are not going to command much of my dollars. I know many swear by them and I am happy for those that get results from them, but I'll have to perfect an awful lot more of my hardware before it get to those pieces.

14. Slick Willie

One could say that about most all of the snake oil we buy. Power cords and interconnects are two that readily come to mind. These fuses use gold/silver/ceramics. Are there not benefits to those materials? Now whether those are benefits that you can hear....well, that is - what I assume - this thread is about? Not whether the fuses are better, Just think....what would NASA use!!!!!:uhhuh:

15. Gene Zucker

Heh heh... I was not telling anyone to buy an audiophile fuse. I was simply stating the principle applies to all fuses. That the direction of the fuse can make a difference in what you hear. I was telling you not to spend a penny, but to check the direction and see what you can hear. if you can hear? Its an indicator that you would benefit from an audiophile fuse. But, all fuses in your components need to be checked before you can determine that. Who knows? You may like what you gained with the OEM fuses after finding the right direction..

Slick Willie likes this.
  16. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Gold plated toilet seats as well - haha

17. Gene Zucker

The OEM fuses that came with your equipment are dirt cheap. The next step up, which would be regular quality ceramic fuses, are also cheap. I do not think you guys are reading what I have been saying. I have been telling you how you can test your system to see if audiophile fuses would be of benefit. In some systems they are. The more transparency your system gives you the more you will benefit.

Slick Willie likes this.
  18. Slick Willie

Cute!!!! But.... Do you not believe that gold is an excellent corrosion 'proof' metal? Are you not convinced of it's superiority compared to almost all others? Not that it will sound different, just more consistent over time. Do you not believe this?

19. Slick Willie

He's not gonna'.

20. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I had to get a cup of coffee before writing this. I got my morning chuckle for sure.

The purpose of a fuse is to prevent an excess of current from flowing into an electrical device. Once a current rating for the fuse it will cause the thin piece of metal will melt eliminating current flow into the device to protect it. Pretty simple stuff.

But, we are talking about alternating current, so there is a flow both ways on the fuse. How exactly is making the fuses all face in the same direction going to make any difference? Also how exactly is even putting the most ridiculous expensive fuse made of exotic materials going to have any effect on tone?

This is just a conduit for current, no filtering or other change is going to occur in a normally functioning fuse. Same as it was at the start of the grid to the point it went through hundreds if not thousands of miles of wire.

21. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

The OP states that IF you can hear the effect of flipping your fuses over THEN you will hear the benefit of audiophile fuses.

It makes perfect sense to me.

ThorensSme likes this.
  22. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

If the fuse is on the AC side, two way current flow. If on DC side, one way flow. So if on DC side, maybe a nasty buildup of midiclorians? :angel:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    SandAndGlass and Upinsmoke like this.
  23. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

That's it!!! Sorry for the poor grammar on my last posting, it was a long night last night.

24. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Enough said.

The Dragon likes this.
  25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I discovered even a harvest gold toilet seat is far more expensive than a white one.

Upinsmoke and timind like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.