Downloading Myth

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, May 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nin

nin Forum Resident

But, here is the big question. And this goes for anyone that downloads: If you downloaded a record by a new or artist, or even an established artist you didn't want to take a risk on with a new CD purchase, do you DELETE the files or do you keep them even if you decided not to make a purchase.

Yes, I delete the files because if the music is not good to buy I won't listen to it.

have a friend that has discs upon discs of downloaded MP3s of crap that I KNOW he doesn't listen to (actually, he has really bad taste in music) just because it was on a newsgroup (the original Napster).

Well, that guy would NOT buy the CD's/LP's so what is the problem? There ARE people that thinks it's cool to have 5000 MP3's but are the labels losing money on them? No way, josé. They would NEVER buy the music, because they don't care about it, they are only collecting MP3's, not music.

2. floyd

floyd Senior Member

There is something new out that I believe could destroy the music industry. They are called “radio waves” and they are broadcast on signals through the air. Anyone with a devise called a “radio” can receive these signals, and they do not have to pay a thing for that signal. The problem is these “radio stations” are broadcasting music both old music and new music and people can hook up a cassette recorder or reel to reel machine and record that music without paying a thing. One could, in fact, never have to purchase music again in their lives, and only listen to the radio.
    It is predicted that this will be the downfall of the music industry. Why would anyone want to purchase an LP or go to a concert when they can just turn on the radio, and record anything they want with no way to be controlled.

the times they are a changin

3. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

I'm not clear at all as to what you're getting at here. "The older guys who run things don't have a clue and don't care"? They "don't care"? Surely that can't be right. And hiring twentysomethings would seem to mean that they're trying to better understand what that generation wants.

4. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

This is interesting, but again I'm a little unclear as to your point. Indie labels have used the Net to their advantage for quite some time--offering free downloads to introduce an artist's new CD. It's a great promotional tool. But none of the indie sites I've seen offer free downloads of the entire CD. Were they to do that, sure, they would "risk losing future customers"--*paying* customers, that is.

5. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I know I'm butting in here, but everyone should be allowed to express their opinion.

However, a danger of the internet is many times opinions are presented as facts and then become accepted as fact because no one questions what they've read.

I think the great thing about this forum is that we are all allowed to express our opinions. The other great thing is that we are able to debate, and yes, question opinions and statements that are made here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.