Dracula - New BBC mini-series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Purple Jim, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

Oof... That final episode kinda kicks this series in the balls. Too bad.

Robert Thomas and Pastafarian like this.
  2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

I liked the last episode, even though it got a little barmy à la Dr. Who/Sherlock. Some great ideas in there and I thought the ending was absolutely brilliant.

turnersmemo, chrischerm and Michael like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

we enjoyed all three episodes...wish it was longer....great job by all...no complaints.
    BRAVO!

turnersmemo, Scope J and Brenald79 like this.
  4. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I also think the first two episodes were great, while the third was flawed in many ways.

5. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Episode 3.

WTF ?

chrischerm, Pastafarian and Anno like this.
  6. Very good series of three mini movies. Lots of twists and smart writing for the genre.

Michael and Purple Jim like this.
  7. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

3rd... what a mess, tried but did not get through it last night... :rolleyes:

Robert Thomas likes this.
  8. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

I enjoyed the first 2 episodes and it was campy enough in an enjoyable way for me to just go with episode 3, but it really s#!t the bed there. I liked the concept, but it did not work out very well at all in my opinion. I was ready to turn it off but stuck it out.

there were some positives for sure and I liked the Dracula and Van Helsing characters and there were some funny moments as well as some retro horror vibes in the first 2 episodes. Over all it was decent.

9. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

Looking back, personally it was a mistake to de-age Mr D... Give me his old self any day.

10. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I enjoyed it, Moffat and Mark Gatiss putting their stamp on Dracula. The first two episodes tell their episodes in similar ways but different enough that there is a contrast and you also have the tension of wondering how the end of the first episode played out throughout episode 2. Episode 3 then goes in a completely different direction, it's all a bit weird and it doesn't have the same tension as the first two episodes but I think it is interesting in a different way and I think I kind of like how it ends.

Old Mac likes this.
  11. Michael

you should have...great surprise unexpected ending!

12. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

13. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

I’ve been catching up on some Christmas telly, and binge watched this over a couple of nights. Loved it, some great humour, gothic horror and modern twists. I thought the Agatha character was really captivating, and Dracula was superb.
    Yes the ending was a bit ambiguous, but it sure did draw me - I’m not usually one for TV drama series! However, I still can’t get my head around the Lucy thing, why was Dracula so stuck on her (it was a random act that led him to her), and why did she have this death wish?

(Stoker’s Dracula was one of the first horror books I read as a kid, alongside the usual Stephen King, James Herbert etc)

14. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

My interpretation, based on Van Helsing's final conversation, was that Dracula couldn't die because he didn't die a heroic death like his father's did, in battle. So was cursed to live on. But he was scared of death.
    As for Lucy, she had that edgy attitude and didn't care is she lived or died(so long as she was beautiful), a fascination with death and willing to chance it with no fear and that attracted Dracula because that made her unique, as a meal and a bride ha ha. (err, I think :sigh: )

Purple Jim and gedsmit like this.
  15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Just finished!
    a wild ride!

Sister Agatha ROCKS!

marmalade166 and Michael like this.
  16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

This scene freaked me out!!!

[​IMG]

davidb1 and Michael like this.
  17. Michael

what did you think of the ending?

18. Michael

yea man in a box!

19. Michael

she was incredible..a strong woman with a wild side...

chrischerm and Scope J like this.
  20. Michael

yea, I was please that we had 3-around 90 minute features...

21. Spot778

Spot778 Forum Resident

Interesting adaption, time shifts worked for me within episodes

22. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

23. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Well, I liked the first episode but I didn't like the way it ended or how it changed to modern times I lost interest It was true Dracula in the first episode it was ok. He's a cutie actor though and perfect for Dracula!

24. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Got through episode 1 last night. Have to say, I was let down. It started out good and I didn't mind the twists on the Harker aspects and there's definitely some good and inventive ideas here and there but about 2/3rds through, it almost seemed like someone just said "screw it" and threw in the towel letting the episode became more campy with a battalion of stake wielding nuns and Dracula throwing out puns and quips like Freddy Krueger that ultimately became a distraction to whatever decent gothic atmosphere that had been effectively established earlier on. IMO, it really fell apart once Dracula arrived at the gates of the Monastery.

I'll watch the remaining two episodes but man, not what I was hoping for.

Kaelu likes this.
  25. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

You are being too kind IMO ... started out good at the castle but went to the crapper with the nunnery and ep2 ... Agatha character unbearable, Dracula way too smug and campy, diverse nuns which "present arms" wooden stakes, gay black man servants with manners of a black panther activist, etc etc .. lol .... what a typical BBC load of bullcrap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.