Dream Theater "Distance Over Time" (2019) album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Thanks Alan, much appreciated!

2. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I left this message on the band's Facebook page:

Great album! Except...it's too damn compressed!!! UGH!!!

Are there any versions of it that have actual dynamic range?

I'm sure it won't make a difference since we're the minority (folks that actually care about sound quality) but maybe it's worth leaving a comment or two?

Dream Theater

ytserush, stodgers and Roberto899 like this.
  3. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I have sent a reply to 7Digital to investigate from their side on whether they received the incorrect files. I also sent an email to Inside Out Music to which Dream Theater is signed to requesting for more details on why there is a difference between the files provided on the Blu Ray release and the ones sent out to Hi Res Vendors.

oneway23, Brenald79 and Roberto899 like this.
  4. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I've got the artbook set and have ripped the 24/96 audio, will put it through the DR log when I get home. I'm skeptical about that existing log though because it still sounds compressed to me (much better than the CD though). I did notice when I listened that it needed cranking way more than usual.

stodgers likes this.
  5. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Maybe I'm being dumb but how the hell can you test the DR on 24 bit tracks? The DR Meter 1.4 which I use only supports 16/44.1 and the foobar component just crashes with these files...

6. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Got it working now via foobar. Can report the log posted already on the dr.loudness website is correct!

foobar2000 1.3.16 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2019-02-28 15:15:28

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: ? / ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR11 0.00 dB -13.63 dB 6:16 ?-01 Untethered Angel
    DR11 -0.15 dB -13.61 dB 4:17 ?-02 Paralyzed
    DR12 0.00 dB -14.09 dB 7:05 ?-03 Fall into the Light
    DR11 -0.42 dB -13.54 dB 6:44 ?-04 Barstool Warrior
    DR11 -0.58 dB -13.52 dB 4:22 ?-05 Room 137
    DR11 0.00 dB -12.53 dB 6:21 ?-06 S2N
    DR12 0.00 dB -15.26 dB 9:22 ?-07 At Wit's End
    DR11 -1.27 dB -16.94 dB 4:05 ?-08 Out of Reach
    DR12 0.00 dB -14.09 dB 8:26 ?-09 Pale Blue Dot
    DR12 -0.51 dB -14.21 dB 4:01 ?-10 Viper King

Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 4608 kbps
    Codec: PCM
    ================================================================================

oneway23, JCRW and AlanDistro like this.
  7. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

drum_cas and sound chaser like this.
  8. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

I just use JRiver, it can natively log DR on everything from mp3 to 192kHz PCM to DSD.

Thanks so much for sharing your DR log, that makes me feel much better about ordering the big box.

9. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Here's the waveform for Untethered Angel:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oneway23, JCRW and AlanDistro like this.
  10. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

No wonder it sounded very crankable when I played it yesterday. I do still hear some compression, mainly in the drums but I would suspect they were recorded like that and its in the mix.

stodgers and AlanDistro like this.
  11. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

That looks much better, I guess I am going to have to pony out $80 to get a listenable version of this album. No response yet from 7Digital or Inside Out Music on what is going on with the downloadable Hi Res Files elsewhere. I suggest more people jump in and contact other vendors like HDTracks and maybe even Sony Music to press the same issue. I doubt bombarding the band will help matters as they probably don't get involved in the issuing process.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  12. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

See, I don't get this. The Astonishing was quite the departure for them, and now the new one is very different from that. If you aren't digging the albums, that is one thing, but it is hard for me to get on board with them being stuck in a rut stylistically when the styles have not been the same on each album, relatively speaking since they all still fall under the prog banner. ;)

13. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

The Astonishing was different in terms of format and approach, I meant more of how the songs are written and the band's sound. Within the first two minutes of the opener on the new album it sounded just like almost every other song they've done the last decade. Again, just my $0.02. I still liked the album, but it didn't wow me.

stodgers likes this.
  14. aroney

Unreal. So the only way to get a decent sounding version of it is to fork over 50-bucks for the Blu-ray. o_O

And people wonder why folks seek "alternative" channels to get music. :(

agentalbert likes this.
  15. aroney

Done:

I'd happily buy a copy if it wasn't so damn compressed...Great tunes - bad mastering. I've heard the Blu-ray is better, but that's 50-bucks. Ugh.

drum_cas likes this.
  16. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

I am happy to be the non-audiophile because this album sounds good to me, both stylistically and in SQ :hide:

17. aroney

You're like most people then. Thing is, this site is generally populated by people who care about music AND sound quality. ;)

18. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Looks like even the instrumental tracks have a better dynamic range than the album itself (on CD).

19. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I did get a reply back from 7Digital last night politely stating that the 96/24 files they received were the only batch given to them by the label and I would have to raise the issue with them. At that I am still waiting for a reply from Inside Out Music on what happened to the files... I'll give another update if there is one. Other than that I begrudgingly picked up the $80 BluRay as I get the sinking feeling that this issue will not be investigated by the label.

drum_cas and Brenald79 like this.
  20. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Completely agree. He’s been the biggest turnoff for me since Six Degree. Where he plays more in the background on his on and some of ADTOE I enjoy it

bunkaroo likes this.
  21. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I'm planning to listen to this later on tonight. Unfortunately the drums are what they are in the mix. They sound like triggered samples, horribly eq'ed and compressed with way too much reverb/effects.

22. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

Last night I had the opportunity to compare the high res download, the bluray audio and the cd.
    In short, if you can play bluray audio, return every other possible medium you have this as and get the bluray. My guess is that the bluray is an error and they used a non mastered version for that. Everything missing on the cd and high res is present on the bluray.
    The mix still isn't grand though...

Red, drum_cas and Raelamb like this.
  23. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Oh, man. Thanks for the investigation, folks. Really appreciate it.

Now to decide if it's worth plunking down $50 for an instrumental mix I'll never listen to, and an art book that will gather dust on a shelf.

It's a bit maddening, really. These labels usually refuse to individually sell the hi-res/surround components of all of these massive boxsets , most likely because they are capitalizing on an artist's most dedicated fans, or at least the ones who are willing to invest the most, and, yet, they bemoan piracy.

Sorry, Rush, as a middle-aged man, I refuse to buy a box full of needless trinkets for $100 just to get Steven Wilson's mix of one album, beautiful though it may be! Charge me $25 for the blu-ray already, geez. You'd still be able to get $25 from me and a lot of others, I'm sure!

drum_cas, JakeM, aroney and 1 other person like this.
  24. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

The last few Portnoy albums, as much as I enjoy them, often had them sounding like desperate trend-chasers, in my opinion. Sure, everything was filtered through the DT lens, but, you could pinpoint the main influence in almost every song; many were simply pastiches.

I can see your point, to a certain degree, but, I feel like, as an aging band, it's cool to see them get closer to the essence of what they are.

DrBeatle and George Co-Stanza like this.
  25. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

Yep, I'm going to pass too. Didn't get the first Aqualung SW 5.1 mix because it only came in a box. Fortunately, it came out again 5 years later. Same thing with first Roxy album and Chris Squire - passed on those too.

It's also very annoying to pay more an HD version, when it's really no better than the CD. I really don't want physical product, but that's what I should have done.

drum_cas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.