DSD........still unclear how you can play and stream this

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by [email protected], Oct 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I asked the same question here. That is how it works: Output Mode: DSDIFF Edit Master, select "Cue Sheet" and "Convert DST to DSD".

You will get a single file in .dff and one .cue file. Keep them together in the same folder when playing. It works.

2. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

thanks so much

3. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

and man that shizzle takes an hour or something. okay, I made the dff file and cue file, we shall see....

4. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

And it works. And the gaps are just how they recorded it and it's exactly the same. But now I know I have the right version because it's one file.

5. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

It's a pitty this doesn't work on the Sony UBP X-800 UHD BD player, which plays SACDs and DSD files.

6. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

The dff file is ginormous by the way. 7.7 GB. I don't know who told me operas would be 5GB but I'm thinking more like 15 minimum!

7. It works, but there are tiny clicks between each track.

When I open the ISO-file in foobar and play it back, these clicks are not present, but when I open the cue-sheet in foobar of the same disc (referencing to the DSDIFF Edit Master file), the tiny clicks are there. It plays gapless but the clicks are annoying.

I wish there was a way to create DSF or DFF files without the clicks from an ISO image.

8. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I am playing from a hard drive through OPPO. Don't remember hearing any clicks. I will double check.

KenC likes this.
  9. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

No clicks between dff files streamed from Roon to any of my endpoints.
    Also not getting any clicks on these files with Audirvana on my Mac, but they definitely do when played in foobar on my pc.

10. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I don’t get clicks playing DFF from an Oppo via a USB hard drive. It may be worth browsing the Computer Audiophile thread on ripping from an Oppo (don’t have link to hand as only on phone). I am sure clicks between tracks were associated with earlier versions of ISO2DSD or one of the associated components. Sorry I can’t be more specific on that but it is almost a year since I extracted my SACDs but I do recall reading that and making sure I had the latest versions. I also found the extraction process much faster on the Windows version.

rjstauber likes this.
  11. I think I am using the latest version. Downloaded it originally the beginning of 2017 and jsut checked again the website, and it is still the same version including all sub-components. I think there is no further development on this software.

P.S.: I see on some forums the reference to a so-called "Bogi's ISO2DSF" tool which seems to solve the click issue, but I can't find it anywhere to download.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  12. The most recent version is sacd_extract.exe 0.3.8, I think, and it still has the click issues.

Some DAC's are supressing the clicks, that must be the reason some people not hearing them, but the clicks are there, in the converted file (DFF, DSF), so these are not bit perfect copies.

13. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

In case it's not mentioned elsewhere, and as I have very recently confirmed, the Sony UBP-X800 will also stream those DSD files from a server, flawlessly, both stereo and multichannel, despite that the owner's manual says that it "might not." No need to use the USB route if you don't want to.

And by the by, the Sony's GUI / menu navigation speed is much much faster than the previous generation of Sony BD players - at least from my own experience. However, where you have a large number of files in a single folder, scrolling down through those files is somewhat slower on the X800 - again based on my own real-world experience.

Jeff

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  14. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

At least with my files, I don’t think that’s the case. If I open the dff’s in Audiogate and look at the waveforms, there’s nothing there at the time of the click. I don’t think it’s in the file, I think the dsd plugin for foobar generates the clicks during playback.
    Try jriver or a trial of roon on your system to play back the files without using foobar and see if the clicks are still present.

Also, Trax is another software option for creating dff files from iso’s. If the clicks are in your files, then extracting using trax instead might help!

rjstauber likes this.
  15. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

From all three of my playback methods (OPPO 105, OPPO Sonica and Computer with jRiver Media) I have never heard any clicks using sacd_extract.exe 0.3.8...only issues with gaps between songs. Wish OPPO would fix that....

KenC likes this.
  16. It is possible that foobar introduces these clicks during playback.

I will convert some ISO files using the latest 0.3.8 version and will try the playback on my Oppo from HDD.

I only convert to DFF since I am used to using cue-sheets for my whole media library (CD's, DVD-A's, needledrops) and I prefer only have one audio file per SACD. Metadata is no issue since my Oppo displays the cover artwork if there is a jpg. file with the same name as the audio file and the track titles etc. are in my cue-sheets.

17. The gaps between songs is only the case if you have individual DSF files per track, correct?

18. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Yes. If the whole SACD is ripped as a DFF as described above you get gapless playback. Other devices may be able to do gapless with DSF files, but the Oppo 103/105 don't.

19. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

Roon does do gapless with individual DFF files. Really can't say enough about how reliable roon is with DSD, no problems at all. Love that software! :)

20. It seems like the clicks were introduced by foobar2000.

Ihave converted now the ISO files to DFF files (Edit Master file option) and automatically created the cue-sheets, and these play back fine on my Oppo 105 with the HDD connected to the player.

Thanks for all the tips about this.

21. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

Are you sure about this? At this time I'm converting the DFF to PCM with JRMC or Roon on the fly to my AVR for multichannel. I use a seperate 2 Channel system uses a chromecast (roon) for 24/96.

22. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

"TEAC Hi-Res Editor" free software from TEAC Corporation. The best tool I found for the DSD to PCM convertion.

I suggest to convert DSD 5.6 MHz 1-bit to PCM 96KHz / 32-bit float for better sound and dynamic range and for removal of the DSD dither located in the HF range 60-96KHz.

StateOfTheArt likes this.
  23. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

Better than ISO2DSD with DSDIFF output? Does it do multichannel? EDIT: you meant the DSD-PCM conversion, JRiver's actually is pretty robust. Check out Archimagos article on it.

24. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

Stereo.

25. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

...and away we go! Again and again and again...:(

FYI - just because "subjects" couldn't hear any difference does NOT mean that there isn't one.

Lots of people can hear, most do not know how to listen though, or what to listen for. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.