Dual TT strobe light question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Guy from Ohio, Oct 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member Thread Starter

My Dual was one without the strobe light built in, would any strobe light work to adjust the speed?

2. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I used to have a test disc that would indicate speed under a flourescent light. I'd imagine even a good photocopy would work.

3. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Yes, any strobe will work. You can even use normal incandescent lights, it's just harder to see.

4. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Is this the one?

Attached Files:

5. Guy from Ohio

I was going to buy a regular strobe at Radio Shack but they have variable settings. Wouldn't that throw the reading off?
    I also remember, way back in the 70's (my older brother had a dual 701 & strobe), when I turned a strobe light on the turntable the lines would show up clearly. Then after I adjusted it and turned off the strobe (leaving only flourescents) the lines could still be seen but they were moving as if out of adjustment.

I'll try the incandescents again, maybe I just need to move the light closer to the turntable.

I like that platter Tangent, I'm going to try to print it out and use it.
    My dual 505 has the lines on the edge of the platter.

Thanks all!

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Hey, Tangent, what are the dimensions of that strobe? I would think that the spacing between the bars would make a difference in the accuracy of the speed.

I was just asking out of curiosity. I already have a built-in strobe on my TT.

7. Guy from Ohio

good point! I thought it was 12x12, but if that's a regular spindle hole than it's much smaller

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Sometimes it's hard to tell with these scans...

9. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Grant, it's 4" in diameter. Perhaps the spacing is different depending on the how big the strobe is.

10. Guy from Ohio

The flourescents worked fine. None in the house, I had to go buy one.
    I tried Tangents jpg too, took it into photoshop and sized it to a 4x4 canvas. It worked!

11. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

:goodie:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.