Dumbest things people have told you about movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Feb 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

That The Searchers is a racist movie.

No. It’s about racism. Not the same thing.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Better suspense as well in Aliens, IMHO.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

This is accurate.

"Alien" is a great movie, but "Aliens" is better.

4. Oatsdad

"Speed" is wholly absurd. It's hilarious to watch and see how many people the LAPD endangers just to save like a dozen people on a bus. :laugh:

But damn if it's not a highly entertaining action movie. It's the only "Die Hard" imitator that's almost as good.

"Speed 2" is wholly awful.

Linger63 likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Possibly because "Aliens" doesn't try to be a horror movie? :shh:

6. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

It’s a better movie if you prefer action movies, but not if you prefer horror. Otherwise it’s the same movie only with no originality but with a higher budget and more explosions.

Scowl likes this.
  7. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

No, not really. Yeah (just checked again) - not really.

The definitive answer:

:pineapple: :wiggle: :pineapple:

Isaac K. likes this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Ok, there. Clearly, you've never watched it or you have a terrible memory. o_O

Oatsdad likes this.
  9. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Even my then 10 year old daughter realized that Newt was just the cat character all over again and the monster still stows away on the escape pod and finally ejected back into space. It has all the same basic plot points, they’re only expressed louder.

10. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

... which is basically what I already explained earlier in the thread, and in about a dozen other threads discussing the same issue.

The only part of ED2 that could even remotely be considered a "remake" is the opening 5 minutes or so, but that's still stretching it, since it's just a slightly altered recap of ED1. Once the demons grab Ash at the door, however, ED2 picks up at the exact moment where ED1 left off.

It's not complicated, so I have no idea why people have trouble wrapping their heads around it.

11. Cracklebarrel

Cracklebarrel Forum Resident

Winner on page 2

hi_watt likes this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

If you're taking your queues from a 10-year old, that explains the oversimplification of your conclusion. And that's if I believed you subjected a child to those 2 movies, which I don't. But "A" for effort.

hi_watt likes this.
  13. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Are you kidding? A slight recap would be reusing original footage from the first film. They LITERALLY had to go back and shoot entire scenes over again. If that isn’t a clear cut example of a “remake” then nothing is.

But even getting beyond the first 10 to 15 minutes we’re still talking about a guy trapped in the same cabin. So yeah, it’s basically a remake of the first film with a few minor exceptions. The only real difference is that there is more emphasis upon comedy.

Johnny66 and wayneklein like this.
  14. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

Someone from my home town posted this, unironically, to raise awareness of animal abuse in Hollywood.
    [​IMG]

15. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Oh jesus christ. I didn’t take my “queue” from my daughter, I’m merely pointing out that even a child can see that it’s just the same story again. Honestly I don’t care if you think I subjected my daughter to those films. I saw more violent movies than that at a far younger age. I was going to the movies basically by myself to see films like Halloween III at 8 years old. It was a different time when all a parent had to do was buy the ticket for you and leave.

16. Strat-Mangler

You seem quite defensive for someone who doesn't care. How you've taken a narrow view of an element or two of the movie to paint it a certain way is a bit bizarre considering the depth of the script but I guess you really want to cling to this idea so I'll leave it be. I would suggest viewing it again, especially the extended version and looking deeper into it than focusing on budget or explosions, though.

Oatsdad likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

It's not the same movie at all. Again: one is horror, one is action.

"Alien3" offers a semi-remake of "Alien", but "Aliens" stands on its own entirely. "Same movie only with no originality"??? :wtf:

18. Yeah, I have to disagree. They are two different types of movies. Now whether one enjoys one more than the other is something else entirely. I’d say “Aliens” is the equal of “Alien” and, because of the action, it is far more re-watchable. To me this is like comparing “Mission: Impossible” to “Scream”—they have different aims. Cameron was wise in going in a completely different direction. While other sequels to the films tried thst approach as well, they weren’t as successful for a variety of reasons.

Linger63, Oatsdad and Strat-Mangler like this.
  19. Strat-Mangler

They certainly are. However, I zeroed onto the suspense aspect of both movies and did mention that it was merely my own opinion that the sequel performed in a superior way. I did watch Alien recently and though only a fool would dismiss it as being a badly made film, I did find it plodding along. It does create a sense of dreadful claustrophobia but I wouldn't call it very tense until the end or the famous scene where the creature bursts out of the chest. In that respect, Aliens is, to me, the far superior flick.

wayneklein likes this.
  20. For me it’s a combination of a sequel and a remake. At one point, some sequels were essentially made as sort of remakes with the director/writer/producer using the previous film as a template for the sequel and that CAN make the sequel seem like a remake by hitting the same best or examining the same character moments/ action scenes.

21. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

" it’s the same movie only with no originality but with a higher budget and more explosions"

That could be the synopsis of sooo many movies. :)

22. Yeah the approach to “Alien” makes it a film, like “Psycho” (which is its template in terms of structure) that may not stand up as well to repeat viewings but I enjoy the sense of claustrophobia and dread myself. It’s more like a film tone poem for most of its screen time. ‘Scream” was kind of a poor example because it’s so meta and uses humor to offset the limits of the horror genre. ‘Psycho’ to ‘ North By Northwest ‘ might be a better comparison. For me there is an entanglement of rewatch able films and those that are great to rewatch but have less enjoyment factor. Again another comparison- ‘ Schindler’s List’ is a great movie but I’d rather re-watch “Defiance”.

As you know, the goal was to create that sense of dread (like “Psycho ”) then provide those scenes of release. ‘Alien” is very cleverly structured just like “Psycho” in that regard— there are just more pay off scenes.

having said that, I enjoy both films but”Aliens” plays better for repeat viewing by revisiting the themes, adding to them with more complex character arcs and can be enjoyed more for that reason but I will stand by my assessment of both being equally great. ‘Alien”, on the other hand, plays better if you are looking for sustained mood and the handsome production design, atmospherics. There was never anything quite like “Alien” before with that scale, production design (although there were antecedents including “It The Terror Beyond Space” and “Planet of the Vampires”) was unique for a mainstream movie. The other problem is that “Alien” inspired so many knock offs that I think it ‘cheapened’ the experience for many as time has worn on. Action films can get away from that because the action is distracting whereas with horror films, the surprises are gone after multiple viewings.

‘Again, that ‘plodding’ along quality was a deliberate choice much like “Psycho” to lull the audience with some moments of suspense thrown in until. The action or ‘horror’ beats are carefully measured to that end. It’s about built up. Just my two cents.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    woody, Strat-Mangler and Oatsdad like this.
  23. Oatsdad

It could... but it remains wildly incorrect about "Aliens".

Heck, when I first saw "Aliens" in 1986 I didn't like it partly because it was so different. I expected something similar and wasn't mentally prepared for a movie that shifted gears so strongly.

24. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Thanks, but I’ve seen it many, many, many times already. I saw it in the theater and even have it on blu ray. Instead of continually suggesting I see it again (which would only solidify my opinion further) why don’t you explain to me all of the key differences between the two that are not completely superficial in substance. Cameron didn’t create something completely different, he just took the script for the original film and plugged and pulled different elements. Turning the cat into a girl or switching the bad guy from an android to some suit, or changing the lone alien to a queen of a lot of aliens, the space ship to a colony and changing the genre from horror to action may fool the likes of you, but ultimately it’s all just more of the same. It follows the same basic beats, but louder.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  25. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Unfortunately for Aliens, the inclusion of dumb, unbelievable characters reading lines like you might find in a wrestling movie kicks the film in the gonads and leaves it limp.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.