Dune to be directed by Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Zodiac.

Drew, slipkid and alexpop like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hearsay.
    Sad made up story.

3. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

That's interesting. I hated Arrival. I with you on the Sicario/Blade Runner ratings though.

slipkid likes this.
  4. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

My favorite Villeneuve. It really asked interesting moral questions like how far would a father go to get back his missing children. I had high expectations for all the movies he directed after Prisoners but somehow I was always disappointed. Because of that, I didn't expect much from Dune but that one I did enjoy, mainly for its epic scale. On the other hand, Dune also felt like the pilot for the next Game Of Thrones-ish TV series. And now I have to wait 2 years before I can watch the next episode.

polchik, slipkid and Briskit like this.
  5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'm a bit afraid to watch Prisoners because if ever there was a crime where the victims' families don't need to have their morality questioned it's the abduction of young girls. So I have a problem with that premise right off the bat. Sicario was more to my liking, and I was blown away by Arrival. It was fantastic. In Dune, Villeneuve hit the right balance of sweeping storytelling, visual grandeur and endless details that I thought would be important to any film adaptation. Turns out they're not so important.

If it's true that a picture is worth a thousand words, Dune at 2.5 hours has 216,000 pictures. So I guess that's worth 216 million words. The Herbert novel has under 200,000 words. So Villeneuve gets to indulge in his vision without laboring in the book's descriptions and dialog, which I thought would be important. I agree, it's a pain to wait for the sequel(s). But I've waited decades for a good adaptation, so another few years is just fine with me and 2023 will be here before we know it.

Rycherocker634 likes this.
  6. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

But ... you haven't seen it? So you can't really tell ...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
  7. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

The film really does raise interesting questions. No matter how noble the mission, is it worth "turning into a demon," as one character puts it, and torturing the potentially innocent?

Briskit likes this.
  8. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Indeed, this is not the typical Liam Neeson movie where the righteous hero plays by the book. Far from it! ;)

Stormrider77, polchik and twicks like this.
  9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Ditto for me. Hated Arrival. Liked Prisoners (especially the ending).

Am lukewarm on Dune. Wanted to love it but less than liked it. Hoping perhaps once the sequel comes out & I watch both back to back I will appreciate it more.

John Moschella and twicks like this.
  10. alexpop

Dune ? Too much sand, even when you shower. Lol :D

11. alexpop

Watched The Marksman. Passed the time.

12. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

I think Dune would work better if it was a prestigious HBO/BBC TV series. There would be more time to add some character development, which is something I'm missing from the movie, which is mainly focusing on scale, big screen spectacle, and clear storytelling.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    Leviethan, Gus Tomato and slipkid like this.
  13. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Me too. They are especially fun to watch with other people.

14. alexpop

Amusing to see Clint Eastwood in it.

15. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Has Timothee Chalamet been cancelled?

richierichie and marmalade166 like this.
  16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Casting news for Part II.

‘Dune: Part 2’ Casts Florence Pugh as Princess Irulan

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass, FVDnz, Curveboy and 4 others like this.
  17. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I must say, I do like it when fan castings never often come true (though I was correct on David Dastmalchian as Piter and Dave Bautista as The Beast Rabban), and I think Florence Pugh will nail it as Princess Irulan. Never actually seen her in Midsommar and Little Women though I hear she was great in them both. And it appears she's worked with Chalamet before too which will bring back some screen chemistry between the two.

Maybe they're definitely planning beyond Dune Messiah because seeing her in Children of Dune will be just as spectacular. My original choice was Elizabeth Debicki. Maybe she could be Irulan's sister Wensicia.

And speaking of casting news, I'm digging Butler for Feyd the Na-Baron too.

[​IMG]

Austin Butler Is in Talks to Join ‘Dune: Part Two’ as the Villainous Feyd Rautha

18. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Just saw it last night. It looked beautiful. Really well done all around, and I thought it was very good. Maybe not best picture good but still very good. Not sure how faithful it is to the book because I never read them. Looking forward to the second part.

brownie61 likes this.
  19. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Finally saw this. Not super impressed to be honest. I've been a huge Dune fan from way back and while the 1984 version wasn't perfect in some ways I still prefer it to the new one. I'll have to wait for Part2 to see if I change my mind. I thought with the extra running time you'd get more explanation of what's going on. For somebody coming to this new I'm not sure how much they would pick up.

20. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Yeah, there's much to chew on in the '84. This new one evaporates faster than a dewdrop on Arrakis...

21. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I enjoyed my 2nd viewing more than the 1st, but it definitely could have been better. I'm looking forward to Part 2.

The Lynch Dune is laughably bad.

John Moschella, MrCJF and Deuce66 like this.
  22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Congrats to DUNE winner of 6 Oscars.

Best sound
    Belfast
    Dune – WINNER!
    No Time to Die
    The Power of the Dog
    West Side Story

Best original score
    Don’t Look Up
    Dune – WINNER!
    Encanto
    Parallel Mothers
    The Power of the Dog

Best film editing
    Don’t Look Up
    Dune – WINNER!
    King Richard
    The Power of the Dog
    tick, tick… BOOM!

Best cinematography
    Dune – WINNER!
    Nightmare Alley
    The Power of the Dog
    The Tragedy of Macbeth
    West Side Story

Best production design
    Dune – WINNER!
    Nightmare Alley
    The Power of the Dog
    The Tragedy of Macbeth
    West Side Story

Best visual effects
    Dune – WINNER!
    Free Guy
    Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
    No Time to Die
    Spider-Man: No Way Home

23. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

After watching Villeneuve’s Dune, I bought the book. Not even half way through the book and I can say that the movie glossed over or simply ignored so many important or interesting details and plot points, the cliche is ‘the book is better’ is true again.

But Dune is still a great film in it’s own right. Technically so, so well made. I enjoyed it and look forward to watching it again.

Curveboy, MrCJF and marmalade166 like this.
  24. Drew

Drew Senior Member

At least your motivated to read the book after seeing the new movie. I couldn't convince anyone to read the book after the David Lynch movie back in 1984.

25. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame