Duran Duran - Future Past (new album out October 22nd 2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jacden, May 18, 2021.

1. jacden

jacden Senior Member Thread Starter

Available for preorder at midnight tonight apparently. Pretty exciting.

[​IMG]

St. Troy, tug_of_war, jamesc and 11 others like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Blue’s Duncan James once had an album called Future Past..

Perhaps the Duran boys were inspired by him.

:D

Fred1, Sean, Interpolantics and 3 others like this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Man they really must hate having good cover art :laugh:
    Snippet sounded descent :)

Fred1, klockwerk, fer2 and 7 others like this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

OMG, a Freudian slip! Let's hope you are not clairvoyant.

Fred1 and c-eling like this.
  5. Choose Cats

Choose Cats Forum Resident

Can't wait all signs point to this being special although the massive wait (22nd October?!??) has killed the buzz a little.

Sean, bob60, c-eling and 1 other person like this.
  6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I blame Nick Rhodes!

I'm hoping music is 1000x better than sleeve like Big Thing and All You Need Is Now.

7. jacden

Here's my contrary opinion: I actually really like this album cover. Yes, it's very messy and "Lynchian", but it's also mysterious and thought provoking. I just hope the music is just as impressive.

I guess "Invisible" will go live on streaming platforms around midnight as well. Just over an hour away here. :agree:

8. Matt Bowers

Matt Bowers Forum Resident

Both of those covers are iconic. Blame Nick Rhodes, please. The man has a real eye for art unlike some people. Thank God DD don't have generic rock star album covers like 99% of the bands with record deals.

9. Neonbeam

So... Nick is the Mick Jagger of Duran? :whistle:

c-eling likes this.
  10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Art in all forms is highly subjective and I respect that you like those covers - you should respect my opinion that I hate them.

c-eling likes this.
  11. Matt Bowers

Matt Bowers Forum Resident

You're absolutely right which is why it's odd that you came for Nick like it's a fact that the covers you don't like are garbage. If you're going to sling it around you might get some on you. Had you not come for Nick's throat I probably wouldn't have come for yours.

tug_of_war, spacedyed and Bluepicasso like this.
  12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Were they on the same continent in the past 14 months?

longdist01 likes this.
  13. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

IMHO, they've alternated between good and bad albums for the last thirty years or so. I like Big Thing, but find Liberty unlistenable, the Wedding album was good, Thank You wasn't, and so forth and so on. All You Need Is Now was awesome and Paper Gods really wasn't (other than the title track which oddly enough gets stuck in my head pretty regularly) so I'm cautiously optimistic about this album. And FWIW, I really like the album cover.

primejive, Remy, Eribolog and 6 others like this.
  14. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

I hope this is closer to All You Need Is Now than to Paper Gods. Much, much closer.

15. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

Ugh, I don't know why I still bother. All You Need Is Now was such a tease of potential, but it was destroyed with Paper Gods. And now, this mess. Yes, the cover art is another atrocious disaster, and judging by that 10 second snippet of that new song, it sounds like more faceless dance funk with one of the no doubt a number of guests whispering the title behind another faceless back beat. Will the obligatory Nile Rodgers make an appearance playing that same funk guitar sound he does in every song he ever plays on?

Curveboy likes this.
  16. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

17. jacden

OK, I went a little nuts and preordered the green vinyl + deluxe CD + cassette bundle. I'm not a Duran Duran completist normally, but this one feels special for some reason. I wouldn't mind receiving a signed print either.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    Matt Bowers and Neonbeam like this.
  18. jacden

Gosh you sound pretty jaded. Perhaps it's time to turn your attention to other music? No reason to "bother" with them if they cause you anguish.

19. jacden

From DD's official Facebook profile:

UK Radio Alert! Tune in tomorrow (Wednesday) around 8:30am local London time to hear Simon on the Zoe Ball Breakfast Show on BBC Radio 2, where they will play INVISIBLE!

20. Neonbeam

This "While Stocks Last" clause is a bit annoying and pure bait. I mean... come on! You either have stocks or you don't but making fans - and who else is going to preorder a Duran album in 21 :whistle: - take a gamble to see if they will or won't receive a signed print... it might result in heartattacks.

I still pre-ordered the green vinyl. No-one can tell me that the signed prints are gone eight hours into the pre-order. Not unhappy the "test pressing" was already gone because... I might have been tempted. :hide:

Any. Way. Should we be happy they didn't confront us with a 300€ Vinyl Factory artefact this time around? That "All You Need Is Now" set was a nice looking item though. While "Paper Gods" can still be ordered. I wonder why that is... :evil:

21. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    jacden likes this.
  22. I was thinking the same thing. It’s also got a cool retro look - kind of like an album that could’ve been released in the early ‘70s.

tug_of_war, agundy, Eribolog and 4 others like this.
  23. Jerry Horne

jacden likes this.
  24. Jerry Horne

25. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

wow thats a lot of formats.

i'm going to pass on all of them, except digital, to hear if its any good first.

and in a year or two, will come back around and buy the different formats
    to fill a collection.

i'm still collecting different versions of paper gods right now, but i don't like that
    album either.

later

Eribolog likes this.